The Jade Hammers, first five liberators done!

Uruk_Guy

Hey gang, longtime mini painter here, eager to try out Age of Sigmar.  I've been thinking that Stormcast would look sharp in a dark gold and jade green, sorta Aztec-esque color scheme.  Those new vanguard Stormcast seem like they'd be perfect for it, but first I'd better paint these starter box guys I've been sitting on for the last year.

Now that I've got a picture I can of course see a few spots that need to be touched up, but overall I'm happy.  Fairy quick, easy tabletop quality results, which is important to me as I'd actually like to paint a whole army for once.  I'll be attempting jungle bases once the rest of the squad is painted.

IMG_0547.JPG

How did you achieve your darker gold? Black undercoat and dry-brush? I want my starter set stormcast to have a darker gold (almost bronze) and not the bright gold of the posterboys. I was also thinking of using the retributer gold spray then a nuln oil wash to achieve a similar look but faster and more consistent. 

Thanks for the kind words all!

@slave2chaos:  my dark gold recipe is pretty simple; you've already guessed half of it.  Forgive me if I mix up the names of the GW paints, they changed 'em up twice while I was taking a break from the hobby.  I start with black primer, base coat with a dark brown then dry brush warp lock bronze, followed by a dry brush of Balthazar gold.  On this test mini I did an ink wash of seraphim sepia, but in the future I'll be doing reikland flesh shade for a slightly redder finish.   I then re dry brush the Balthazar gold, and finish up with a Vallejo gold that seems to be close to liberator gold.  I was going for something akin to this Aztec mask.

IMG_0522.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, after far too long between posts I'm back with a WIP of the first five liberators and something a bit different.  

I love the epic high fantasy feel of AoS, with its magical landscapes, god beasts and floating toque shaped landmasses inspiring me to think outside the box in terms of terrain building.  In the backstory I'm working up for The Jade Hammers, they'll be based in a primeval jungle in the realm of  Ghur.  Within this realm of beasts, not far from the ziggaruts of an ancient temple city newly reclaimed by the Jade Hammers, lays the Shuffling Glade: habitat of the mighty Tortedroth.  These mammoth terrapins can develop mini-ecosystems atop their great craggy shells as they shuffle through the centuries, slumbering for decades before plowing off again through the jungle.

Im pretty pleased with the results on my charismatic mega-fauna here.  He started life as a polyresin garden decoration of some sort, I believe.  The tree trunks are pine cone cores with plastic fern leaves hot glued in place.  Some aquarium plants and lots of clump foliage made him look a little more lush.

Now I just gotta cook up some terrain rules for him!  I love the idea of each turn having him shuffle forward six inches every turn.  Maybe roll a d6 and on a 1 he turns right, 2-5 he moves forward and on a 6 he turns left?  Now imagine 7 or 8 of these freaking things all doing that each turn!  Hahaha I am definitely doing some more of these guys.  I'd love to try putting some ruins, or maybe even a realm gate on the back of one.

And lastly a WIP of the liberators, as finished as they got before I finally found a big enough turtle.

IMG_0608.JPG

IMG_0609.JPG

IMG_0610.JPG

IMG_0611.JPG

IMG_0612.JPG

IMG_0574.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Alrighty after far too long I've finally finished the first five Jade Hammers.  Man what a slog!  Apparently my "just get 'em done" attitude was too jarring to my "slave over all the details" nature because finishing this unit was a chore.  I'm very tempted to work on something more appropriate to my username and just switch to Ironjawz.  At least I can come back to these guys when I'm tired of green skin.  

Heres the Jade Hammers, who knows when they'll be updated again.  Expect an ironjawz plog soon!

IMG_0632.JPG

IMG_0633.JPG

IMG_0634.JPG

IMG_0635.JPG

IMG_0637.JPG

IMG_0638.JPG

Archived