Skaven Pestilens, are they competitive?

Axter

Hi all, i would like to build a new army and i can't choose between Skaven and Sylvaneth. To take my decision i would like to know if Skaven Pestilens (my favourite skaven clan with Skryre) are really worth. Can they be competitive some how? I really like the full buffed monks, but they are really fragile and i know that a simple unite can easily take them out. What do you think? Help me with my decision please!

P.S. Sorry for my english, as you can imagine is not my mother tongue

If you search for threads on here I've written quite a lot about Pestilens tactics and results and stuff . I've played them for coming up a year now at tournaments. I also keep a blog here.

I would say they are competitive in the hands of someone who knows how to use them correctly, but they are harder to get good results with than one of the 'new school' armies like Sylvaneth or a no brainer/simple tactics option like Clan Skyre

They are a horde army so be prepared to take upwards of 100 monks, thats a big commitment right there in painting time, transport, game time etc

10 hours ago, Axter said:

Hi all, i would like to build a new army and i can't choose between Skaven and Sylvaneth. To take my decision i would like to know if Skaven Pestilens (my favourite skaven clan with Skryre) are really worth. Can they be competitive some how? I really like the full buffed monks, but they are really fragile and i know that a simple unite can easily take them out. What do you think? Help me with my decision please!

P.S. Sorry for my english, as you can imagine is not my mother tongue

Yes! They can be very competitive.

I believe people that say no havn't played against them. ;)

Are they a tier 1 army? No

Are they underated? Yes, very much so.

Will you win (hard core) tournaments? Maybe not

Will you win tournament games? Yes

Do you like how they look? Do you like how they play, (swarm the table with rats)? Do you like painting 100+ rats? Do you like to always be considered a underdog with a underated army? Then take them.

Ps: But Sylvaneth is a stronger army right now if that is your main consideration.

Looking at the warscrolls they do pack some nasty surprises and interesting synergies along with some pretty great warmachines in the catapults. Plague monks look pretty good in large units with all the banners, scrolls and bells at 10 for 70pts. 

Battleshock is going to be a problem but they are chaos so you can get double inspiring presence to mitigate. 

I reckon they'll be effective against a lot of the current Stormcast building which seem to rely on small numbers of high quality wounds  

I think the main issue is that you're going to have to paint a lot of the same model which is taxing. 

20 minutes ago, Ollie Grimwood said:

Battleshock is going to be a problem but they are chaos so you can get double inspiring presence to mitigate. 

It might change in GH2 but right now it is only a problem in the first turn (brotherhood was for example a hard counter) and maybe at the end of the game. You will spam crown of command and you get access to enough of them to make all rats immune to battleshock due to access to formations you are going to take anyway. The Plauge Furnances carrying these crowns also have ok resilience and between the 100+ rats storming you and the catapults they might not be the first priorty to take out anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

I love Pestilens and played a full list in AoS for the first time last night. Advice: limit the number of things in your army that don't affect Nurgle models. When your opponent is all armored Nurgle Slaves to Darkness, you're going to have a rough game.

Archived