Bases for Artillery

Tullbeard

Hi all, just wanted to get people's thoughts on whether it is appropriate to put artillery on a proper base.

Now, questions about basing mainly apply from a Tournament perspective (I.e. Round vs square), so I'm coming at it from that same angle.

When I say artillery, im mainly considering the older artillery models with separate crew (e.g. The Ironweld Arsenal warscrolls, or the Elf Bolt Throwers).

A lot of people (myself included) I know use the artillery without any bases (the crew would obviously have bases). 

Would this be accepted in a tournament setting? 

The warscrolls for the Ironweld Arsenal show pictures where the artillery isn't based; so I'm assuming that means games workshop are fine with it from their perspective.

So, do you guys base your artillery?

I've always preferred my artillery pieces without a base so I can place them on top of castle towers and such and have it look natural, I don't think the lack of base has ever been a problem. If anyone complained I'd be happy to give them an extra inch or two of leeway.

37 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

On a related note, is a 40mm base acceptable for a Grot Spear Chukka? (separate bases for the crew of course)

Seeing as they don't have bases at all, I would say any size base that fits the model would be fine tbh. Having said that, 40mm sounds like it would be too small to fit the spear chukka on?

32 minutes ago, DeadlySarcasm said:

Seeing as they don't have bases at all, I would say any size base that fits the model would be fine tbh. Having said that, 40mm sounds like it would be too small to fit the spear chukka on?

I'm interested to see tbh. In my mind they are tiny little things.

I'll admit I may have an ulterior motive for this!

Archived