Kairic Acolytes > Tzeentch Marauders; help required!

Chris Tomlin

Hey guys,

I have three sets (24 models) of the Silver Tower Kairic Acolytes. Lovely models, but unfortunately not for me rules wise. I'm keen to convert them into two units of 10 Tzeentch Marauders w/ WYSIWYG hand weapon and shield options + command (bear in mind these are the Silver Tower sculpts so not much variance).

Does any one have any bright ideas around components I could use for this? It'll be a shame to lose the heads as they are one of the coolest parts of the models IMO, but needs must as I feel they are also one of the most distinctive parts of the model.

Thanks in advance,

Chris 

Do you care if the hand weapon actually looks like an axe or no?
 Assuming you want axes....

Each set from Silver Tower comes with 2 shields and 2 axes. Each set also has 2 of the arms wide out, special helmet guys and 2 of the long staff weapons/glaives. So with your three sets, you have 6 guys with shields and axes (will require a little bit of hacking and hand/weapon swapping but oh well). You have 6 of the stance wide open guys, I would use 2 of these to make your standard bearers and maybe your drummers. I would use two of the models with the hand pointing as your champion. You are going to need some bits for the standards and drums (or a different instrument). From a quick look at ebay, you could get 10 pairs of the tzaangor dual wield axes for under $4 shipped. Cut those up and you have enough axes for almost both units (and with standards and musicians you could use the smaller kairic axes). You can also get a lot of tzaangor extra weapon/banner/trumpets for about $10 shipped. This would get your command set up (comes with double handed axes even) and has 6 single handed axes in it.

I think chaos marauder shields would be best to tie them to the actual warscroll. You can get them in batches of 8 off of Ebay, you could also get tzaangor shields, though those seem to be a bit more expensive one ebay.

I rambled a lot but I think the easiest option is to get the spare bits off the 40k tzaangors that are all over ebay, use those to equip your dudes, add in some marauder shields and call it done!

Idk how you are with green stuff but I always liked the idea of a large plume of feathers behind those masks would look killer!

It'd help distinguish them as being different.

Sort of like a native American style or now that I think about it, kinda like the Tzaangor shaman has.

I'm still debating on doing a 1000 point all tzaangor LoC force. The models are just awesome!

Hey,

Thanks for the replies so far;

@Thundercake - Yeh solid ideas there mate. As it happens, my unit of 30 Tzaangor is made out of just the 3 Silver Tower sculpts. However I got a bunch of spare parts off ebay (as you said, some made loads of 40k ones and sold the other bits) and was able to convert the entire unit to have plenty of variety. I actually have a good few bits left so this is a great idea, which for some reason I didn't think of. Tzaangor axes plus Marauder shields could be a good option. I like it. Just leaves the question of the heads though?

@Vasshpit - That sounds really cool and work look amazing, but unfortunately would be hard work!! A simple kit bash / conversion is all I'm looking for here I think.

So yeh, assuming I go with @Thundercake's suggestions, which I think I will...what am I gonna do about the heads?

Chris

Realistically I think the heads have to go, as they're too much like acolytes with them. Using 25mm bases would help. Bare heads would work well IMO, as would adding some armour. Another option would be to go with some alternative masks, maybe the dark elf executioners or sisters of slaughter? 

You could always re-use the acolyte masks on Marauder horsemen or another unit.

I'd lean towards weapon and head swaps as the best option to make them distinctive. Swap out the fragile blades and delicate shields for heavier axes and wooden shields.

Repose them in more dynamic movement, leaping fowards and frothing to get close to the enemy.

Consider adding more armour as well, whether shoulder pads, chest plates or cloaks.

3 hours ago, AGPO said:

Realistically I think the heads have to go, as they're too much like acolytes with them. Using 25mm bases would help. Bare heads would work well IMO, as would adding some armour. Another option would be to go with some alternative masks, maybe the dark elf executioners or sisters of slaughter? 

I'm really torn on the heads, I think they make the guys really look Tzeentchy. I also like the sister's of slaughter masks, maybe that is what you go with.

4 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Hey,

Thanks for the replies so far;

@Thundercake - Yeh solid ideas there mate. As it happens, my unit of 30 Tzaangor is made out of just the 3 Silver Tower sculpts. However I got a bunch of spare parts off ebay (as you said, some made loads of 40k ones and sold the other bits) and was able to convert the entire unit to have plenty of variety. I actually have a good few bits left so this is a great idea, which for some reason I didn't think of. Tzaangor axes plus Marauder shields could be a good option. I like it. Just leaves the question of the heads though?

@Vasshpit - That sounds really cool and work look amazing, but unfortunately would be hard work!! A simple kit bash / conversion is all I'm looking for here I think.

So yeh, assuming I go with @Thundercake's suggestions, which I think I will...what am I gonna do about the heads?

Chris

Honestly, I think the weapons, shields, musician, and standard bearer all being different are enough to set them apart. Especially with marauder shields. I'd leave the heads but if you are set on changing them what about bare heads (marauders or bloodreavers) with tzaangor horns on them? IF you do go bare heads, at least you the masks on the command group!

Edit: I don't think they need more armor, both warscrolls have a 6+ save.

Edit: ALSO KROOT HEADS OR the feathery spikey bits from the back of their heads!!! GOT ANY KROOT HEADS?

Just one tip on the heads. I'm in the middle of converting the Kairic Acolytes and they have quite distinctive necks. It will still be a lot of work swapping the heads for the marauders heads. 

I find I have to hollow out the replacement heads i'm using to get a good fit. 

Afternoon,

Thanks for all the replies so far. Very helpful.

On ‎21‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 5:51 PM, AGPO said:

Ah yes, great point with the 25mm bases. Completely forgot about that!

I've actually used the Sister of Slaughter heads on my Ghouls (see Venetian Court topic below), so whilst I love them, would probably look for something different here.

On ‎21‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 8:24 PM, Lucio said:

I'd lean towards weapon and head swaps as the best option to make them distinctive. Swap out the fragile blades and delicate shields for heavier axes and wooden shields.

Repose them in more dynamic movement, leaping fowards and frothing to get close to the enemy.

Consider adding more armour as well, whether shoulder pads, chest plates or cloaks.

Great suggestions for more in-depth conversions there. Personally, I'll probably keep mine a little simpler. I'm also likely to keep the Acolyte/Tzaangor blades as aesthetically they are nicer IMO.

On ‎21‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 8:58 PM, Thundercake said:

I'm really torn on the heads, I think they make the guys really look Tzeentchy. I also like the sister's of slaughter masks, maybe that is what you go with.

Honestly, I think the weapons, shields, musician, and standard bearer all being different are enough to set them apart. Especially with marauder shields. I'd leave the heads but if you are set on changing them what about bare heads (marauders or bloodreavers) with tzaangor horns on them? IF you do go bare heads, at least you the masks on the command group!

Edit: I don't think they need more armor, both warscrolls have a 6+ save.

Edit: ALSO KROOT HEADS OR the feathery spikey bits from the back of their heads!!! GOT ANY KROOT HEADS?

I agree that the heads on the models are great and it would be a shame to change them. However in my mind it is a necessity to differentiate the. I agree on the armour and Kroot heads...wow, that's an awesome idea. I wonder how they fit sizewise? 

On ‎21‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 9:33 PM, Kramer said:

Just one tip on the heads. I'm in the middle of converting the Kairic Acolytes and they have quite distinctive necks. It will still be a lot of work swapping the heads for the marauders heads. 

I find I have to hollow out the replacement heads i'm using to get a good fit. 

Good tip! Thanks man.

On ‎22‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 11:50 AM, Bueno said:

I reckon using Kroot heads would look pretty sweet and fit in well with the Tzeentch theme.

Yeh this is a great idea IMO. Will have to look into it.

Cheers boys!

Marauder horsemend heads and shields would probably be the simplest solution and they would have a very different look. I know Duncan posted a conversion he did with the acolytes and used horseman heads and they fit really well. Also I put mine on 32's since marauders were on 25 mm squares but since there's still no hard and fast basing rules do what you think looks best.

18 hours ago, Stauderpower said:

Marauder horsemend heads and shields would probably be the simplest solution and they would have a very different look. I know Duncan posted a conversion he did with the acolytes and used horseman heads and they fit really well. Also I put mine on 32's since marauders were on 25 mm squares but since there's still no hard and fast basing rules do what you think looks best.

Yeh man, Marauder Horsemen heads are a solid plan for sure. It may come down to which bitz are most readily available.

As for Marauders, they have been reboxed on 25mm rounds. As primarily a tournament player, I would prefer to stick to the supplied bases :) 

Archived