Paint removal.

Arkiham

They have taken the "Castrol" name off the product - at least in the US- its just called "Super Clean" now. I've used it multiple times now, on metal, resin and plastic minis and all have come through the process just fine. It doesn't have a super strong odor- but I would recommend wearing rubber or nitrile gloves when you use it. I didn't feel like taking chances with chemical burns, so I used gloves. 

Get yourself a big pot some good gloves and some fairy power spray.

Failing that, purple acetone free nail varnish remover from superdrug.  Leave it in there to soak for a bit and then use fairy power spray just to get the final residue off.

Good stiff toothbrush packet - cheapo jobs or one of those battery operated household cleaning brushes that looks like a massive toothbrush - pretty cheap from amazon and the like.

:)

@Arkiham

The answer is; Biostrip 20 (get a 500ml pot).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/282343131584?lpid=122&chn=ps&adgroupid=40252304524&rlsatarget=pla-277431992573&adtype=pla&poi=&googleloc=1006680&device=c&campaignid=738469119&crdt=0

You might wanna search around, may be able to get a slightly better price, but yeh get on it. You'll be back here thanking me once you have! ;) 

Works on metal and plastic, is water based and reusable. It's absolutely brilliant, completely revolutionary. I hear it works on some types of resin, but I haven't tried that myself so don't advise it. I've heard it definitely melts Finecast, but then, so does a warm day.

Enjoy :D 

I use dettol. I accidentally left something in the pot of dettol for a couple of weeks, and I found that the paint almost fell off, so leaving it in there for a while helps a lot. Then I squirt some washing up liquid on a toothbrush and scrub off any trickier parts. Then rinse off in warm water with a bit of washing up liquid. Make sure to do it outside/in the garage/shed, because it stinks.

34 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Don't use Dettol, it's horrible. Stinks and takes ages to scrub off, can also get really sticky.

Biostrip is sooooooo much better (I used to used Dettol).

Just had a look, it's a bit pricy. I might consider it next time I need to strip something though, do I follow the same process as with dettol?

11 minutes ago, fartsocks said:

Just had a look, it's a bit pricy. I might consider it next time I need to strip something though, do I follow the same process as with dettol?

You just drop it in, leave it a while (I usually leave overnight), then scrub off with a toothbrush or whatever. No water or washing up liquid etc required.

Also bear in mind that this is completely reusable, so it works out as better value for money than the likes of Dettol as well.

Love the avatar btw, I'm a big TPB fan!

Archived