Changeling vs AOE

Peatiest

Question

Hi all,

Currently having a spirited theory-crafting argument with a couple of friends. A question has come up about the Changeling; as a Tzeentch player people are obviously rightly terrified of it.

Does the Changeling's Arch-Deceiver ability protect it from all AoE? The question was raised was by a death player citing the Mortis Engine as a specific example.

After reading the rules I would say that the Wail of the Damned ability can not hurt the Changeling as he is treated as a friendly unit to the Mortis Engine. However, The Reliquary stated that units not baring the Death keyword take D3 damage. Even as the Tzeentch player I would probably say this would damage my unit, as the AOE doesn't solely or directly target the Changeling.

There is however a third player in our group arguing that the Arch-Deceiver ability would offer the Changeling all protections afforded to a friendly model in the opposing army. In this case the Death keyword, and therefore immunity to The Reliquary.

I/we would be interested in hearing other players' thoughts on the issue.

Thanks.

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

3 answers to this question

Strict reading, reliquary would affect the changeling.
Reliquary obviously intended to hurt friend or foe without Death keyword, and you don't have to target the changeling to use it.

Wail of the damned would not because the changeling is not treated as an enemy unit.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Baldo is correct. He is a friendly model so cannot be targeted, but any effect that is global that hits friend or foe is gtg. For example the Roused by magic effect in my Sylvaneth army hits all non Keyword Sylvaneth. So although he is friendly he doesn't have the keyword. so for my that guy is an easy kill. Plus I can drop a hero near him when I need him to go away.

20 hours ago, BaldoBeardo said:

Strict reading, reliquary would affect the changeling.
Reliquary obviously intended to hurt friend or foe without Death keyword, and you don't have to target the changeling to use it.

Wail of the damned would not because the changeling is not treated as an enemy unit.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Agreed on both aspects. Key point is that the Reliquary hits all units, and the outcome depends on whether the unit has the Death key word or not where the Wail of the Damned needs to be targeted at an enemy unit.

Archived