Spray Primers - Citadel is Awesome

Sleboda

I just wanted to make a post to say that while I know Citadel primer is very expensive compared to others, it is so totally worth it.

The way it comes out, the volume of the 'cloud' it produces, the coverage, the consistency ... all of it.  So worth it.

That is all.

:)

Citadel doesn't make spray primer..? Only the technical primer.. which is brush on. If your using the white or black spray from citadel those are paints and not primers. It is best to use a true primer. 

Why anyone would use anything other then krylon primer or the .97 flat black spray from Walmart is beyond me. 

9 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Citadel doesn't make spray primer..? Only the technical primer.. which is brush on. If your using the white or black spray from citadel those are paints and not primers. It is best to use a true primer. 

Why anyone would use anything other then krylon primer or the .97 flat black spray from Walmart is beyond me. 

What are the other colours then ? The red the Blue, gold etc aren't they primers?

I have used Citadel spray primers for ages, mostly Chaos Black and Corrax White, and I wholeheartedly agree that they are the best.

I have bought Army Painters spray several times, but they are never as good, and have a tendency to dry up to a thicker layer than the Citadel ones. My latest foray into Orruks had me trying out a green spray from Army Painter, and I think that sort of cured me of buying their products again, unfortunately.

Whether or not Citadel sprays are expensive is a bit relative I would say, the minis they are used on are pretty expensive, so I see no reason to be cheap on the primer and potentially not get the best result which will obscure details on the expensive minis.

I brought a brown spray from army painter on the hope it would save me time,  ended up ruining alot of the details and unlike gw sprays I couldn't just ask for some replacement models.

I've had 2 instances of spray cans from gw not work correctly but they were nice enough to replace both the can and the models.

I've also had less than stellar results with Army Painter sprays. Citadels sprays have always given me a higher quality result. I've recently switched to airbrushing my primer on. After working out some kinks in how much I need to thin the paints for the best results I very much like airbrushing over rattle can.

I'm looking at 100 Plague Monks I just primed and really like the result- especially since approximately 40 of them were sprayed with Citadel Chaos Black- so I can compare the 2 primer coats side-by-side. I truthfully can't see much difference between them.

I can see the models that I used Army Painter sprays on and then went back over with my airbrush- they are the ones that orange peeled with army painter. Thankfully, there are only a few of them and a coat of primer from the airbrush reduced the orange peel enough that they shouldn't stand out too badly in the units (and hey, they're Plague Monks so I guess the effect isn't too horrible).

Yeh the coloured sprays are fantastic, well worth the slightly higher cost. I own and use many of these, would highly recommend them.

Also, as @Stevewren says, you do not need to prime a model first. These colours adhere perfectly and provide a fantastic basecoat.

For black spray though, I just use a Halfords one. Much cheaper and provides a good finish. Army Painter sprays are notoriously hit or miss, though I suspect a lot of this is down to misuse.

+1 for Citadel sprays. They form a perfect basecoat even if they aren't "true" primers. I use Mournfang Brown as a base for pretty much anything that isn't deliberately painted up from black or down from white, it forms a solid coat that gives earthy colours a nice tone.

We had a phase of using Army Painter that went pretty terribly. Half our cans decompressed of their own accord due to leaks or the nozzle getting stuck open, they didn't last very long and the colour was always much brighter than the one on the can. Coverage was disappointing too.

In the end most of us went back to Citadel because it's only a couple of pounds extra, but is much better in every way.

So long as they have your colour, at least.

Putting a technical nerd hat on, Citadel cans (at least the Black and White) contain an "etching" chemical, which lightly softens (etches) the surface they're sprayed on to create a really firm bond.  If you've ever oversprayed something and tried to wipe it off straight away, you'll discover that you mess up the surface of the model.  To my knowledge, none of the other brands have this etching chemical.

Completely agree that they're not a primer in the truest of senses, but for plastic models you can't go far wrong.

When undercoating resin, they don't etch in the same way so I tend to put a layer of matt/satin varnish down first (highly recommend Plastikote Clear Sealer for this) and then Citadel over the top.

5 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

You need to prime your models before you paint. On the can of xorax white and chaos black...it says very clearly "model paint".

It's not primer.

No you don't. Seriously I have never in my 20something years in the hobby sprayed my minies with anything before using Chaos Black/Corrax White, and I have never had a bad result with the Citadel sprays.

7 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

You need to prime your models before you paint. On the can of xorax white and chaos black...it says very clearly "model paint".

It's not primer.

It does say model paint, but it really is solvent based - it works fine as a primer coat :)

And lets be honest - if its good enough for Duncan, its good enough for me! 

15 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

It's not primer.

It doesn't have to be primer, if it accomplishes the same end.  Citadel sprays adhere just fine to the model and provide a good surface to paint over, and they are incredibly resistant to wear and chipping.

Honestly, it's more important to wash the models first regardless of spray or brush undercoat - but in all my decades of painting, I've never needed to prime before applying a spray undercoat, Citadel or otherwise.  And I've never had an issue.

Duncan Rhodes from GW "primes" models with Citadel spray, you may want to let him know he's doing it wrong.  xD

As stated, Citadel sprays aren't primer. And while you don't absolutely have to prime plastic miniatures it is still the best way to ensure the paint will adhere.  

For the last few years I've been using Rustoleum 2X Ultra Cover White, Gray, or Black primer and then once dry I'll hit it with a Citadel spray.  I've used those Rustoleum primers from well below freezing temps to over 100 degree F in every imaginable humidity level and they always come out perfect.  I've found Army Painter primers are too variable under weather conditions for ease of use.

I've also never washed a Citadel plastic miniature and I've never had an issue. Metal and resin always get washed. Plastic, never.

Just find whatever works for you.

Archived