What size points do you prefer?

wayniac

I'm curious what points level most people prefer.  I know that 2,000 is the "tournament" standard, and I notice a lot of the people I play with will build say 2,000 points and then only want to play at that points level and hate going any lower, because it means they can't field their entire list (usually with a battalion) that they've built up.  For me, I tend to prefer lower points, 1000-1250 so it's easier to theme a force and so it can be done faster (and as I'm pretty sure I've said before, my GW only has one 8x4 AOS table so smaller points can use a 4x4 section, and as a result someone else doesn't have to wait to get a game or, worse, always play team games).  However, the more I think about it and think of lists, the more limiting I find the lower points and I'm thinking of just saying ****** it, I'll do 2k also, it's not my fault if the store only has one table.  

I can't tell how really big armies are played, but I played small to medium games now, and I think that below ~1200 points many tactical options are just not there and so the games are less fun. The biggest one I played was 1500 and that one allowed some cool stuff already. But I also guess that 2000 is the sweet spot because above that battles will become very long and tiring. Maybe epic, but if it takes five hours I am not sure if it is fun.

EDIT: OH, and also table size. I play at home on a big table and I think playing on a small one 2000+ sucks, except if you play monster/hero heavy armies.

I personally prefer 1200-1500 point games (and have really enjoyed 1000 point games) due to the shorter timeframe between setup and cleanup. That said, now that I'm trying to build a Seraphon force I'm finding the Behemoth count to be a limiting factor with smaller games. 

I like all points values, from 150 point Hinterlands games up to 2000 and beyond. It really depends on where and who I am playing with and also  what army I have. 

So at tournaments I love 2000 points for a good chunky game. The largest I have played 2500 points and as I have 3000+ painted order I would love to do a 5 hour mega battle with them but haven't had the chance yet. When I am at my local GW I like to play less than 2000 if the player seems new or isn't a tournament player as they can often play slowly and are unable to finish a game at 2000 points within 2.5 hours.

After that, I play with my mixed Order at 2000 points, but I never want to play with more than a 1000 points of my goblins because I just don't want to collect that many models. I believe every army has a sweet spot size of around 50-80 models and depending on how many points that equals with the army decides what point level I prefer to play with them.

I will play any size, any time.  I don't discriminate.  I just want to play games.

2k is well and good for an evening.

1k is where things really seem to shine. Plays fast and furious.  Every unit you take has to be a difference maker.  Good times.

I'm currently in the pre planning for a 25,000 point game.

Really want to have some fun?  Bust out some 500 point action.  That ****** gets crazy and plays SUPER fast.  You can squeeze in a 4 round tournament in a single evening.

The 500 point events are even more bananas if the theme is "bring the more broken ****** you can."

5 units of 3 javelin Prosecutors led by a Venator can be a LOT of fun provided your opponents are bringing broken ****** too. (NOTE: when we do broken 500 points, we require no mon battleline)

I play mostly 2000, but a friend has been starting a new army and we have been playing 1k with him.  

I've found 1k to be very exciting and fast with enough strategy and tactical ideas to stay interesting.  It's very enjoyable and I would recommend pursuing a 1k army.

And if you start a 1k army and the list doesn't feel strong enough, you have not invested much cash into it and can try again and adjust.

We started a map campaign that started at 500pt and increases at 500pt intervals. So far I think I prefer the 500pt or 1k battles the most. Even more than the 2k games we occasionally play. 

1 hour ago, Criti said:

1k is where things really seem to shine. Plays fast and furious.  Every unit you take has to be a difference maker.  Good times.

This is my experience as well. 

We play around 1.000 to 1.300 points, it´s challenging getting stuff you need in this small amount of points and therefore really interesting for diverse listbuilding. And it works on 4x4 tables, which is easier to play in the living room and it doesn´t take more the 3-4 hours ( we talk a lot...). Really like this game size.

But i think, we will slowly increase points to increase... don´t know exactly why, but i guess everybodys collecting is growing and wants to be played :)

2500 points is the sweet spot for me and my associates, 2k is a friendly if we are low on time. A good 3k is nice every now and again, I find any less than 2k is ok, but more points means more cool painted miniatures, and a bit more character to the games. 

My friends and myself all run horde armies of one sort or another, so placing 200 miniatures on the table is what makes us happy.

Once a king, always a king. But once a night's enough. 

I developed an unhealthy obsession with creating heavily themed 1k armies. Skyre... Warherd... Nurgle Mortals... Stormcast... Sylvaneth. I'm nearly done painting them now. Most can go higher than 1k with most armies but anything past 1500 and I start to get antsy and stop paying attention to the game. Not for ADD or any other biological reason, but because I would rather do anything else. Talk hobby. Rack up and play another game, etc. I feel like I'm wasting time in a massive 6 round slog of horde vs horde. 

I would rather do 2 short 1k games, get a sandwich and a pint, go in and do 2 more. 

Archived