Whats the difference between Battletomes and Grand Alliance books

frogboy

Question

Hi I've posted this question in a local forum too, I'm just starting out with AoS and have the Generals Handbook already, I'm just wondering whats the best book to go for next with the intention of building an army.

Quick question, whats the difference between the army lists in one of the Grand Alliance books and one of the Battletomes, for example if i wanted to play Orcs, i could get either the Grand Alliance Destruction book or the Ironjaws Battletome. Or have I completely missed some point in the Battletomes.

Thanks

Read more: http://vale-renegades.freeforums.net/thread/2106/aos-bad?page=3#ixzz4YapPhamC

4 answers to this question

If you wanted to play orks the AoS app has all the rules for free. It would be a Destruction Grand Alliance.

Within that alliance there are multiple factions. Using your example the Ironjaws are one of many factions within Destruction. You will also find Greenskin orks, Savage Orks, Ogres etc. All the factions within each grand alliance can be used independently or as a mix of the entire Grand Alliance.

When you look in the back of the General's handbook in the Match play section and turn to the Destruction Grand Alliance (where the points are located) you will see some entries labelled as battleline or battleline with a caveats.

You will need a minimum amount of battleline based on the size of the game (see chart at the front of the Matched Play section). If all your units have the same faction Keyword, ironjaws for example, then you will have access to faction specific battleline. Ard Boyz for example are battleline only if the whole army has the Ironjaws Keyword.

Should you choose a mixed destruction army then you will need generic battleline. Those entries marked as such with no caveats.

So for what you need to get next it will depend on the army. If you want to do Ironjaws, then the app or battle tomes is all you need. If you want to go mixed and don't care for the fluff then all you really need is the app or the grand alliance book if you really want.

Kind of long winded but I hope it helps.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Archived