Being Brutal But Cunning

SolarBur

Hey all,  just wanted to throw out my starting force list for Bonesplitterz. After playing a few games at 500pts - 750pts, i came to love these big maniaks the more i got to play them. Their die hard attitude and everytime you roll that sweet 6+ paint save at a crucial time is just one of the best feelings. Yeah I'm a simple Orruk, but its the simple things that make you love something all the more :P

Now when i started the Bonesplitterz army, a good few people at the store said that the Arrowboyz were the best way to go, just lots of shots and going alongside the Kunnin' Rukk, and just machine gun archer the opponent to death. What surprised them more was when i told them that i wasn't going to go down that route because it didn't feel Orruk enough to me. So i went to the other side, as the title implies and chose the brutal path instead ;p

Not sure how strong this army is, but its pretty quick on its feet, and going second with this army can lead to an opponent hoping that he gets next turn before the wave of angry Savages crashes down on them ;p

Savage Orruk Big Boss (General, Brutal Rukk)

Wardokk

x20 Savage Orruks (Brutal Rukk)

x20 Savage Orruks (Brutal Rukk)

x5 Savage Orruk Boarboys (Brutal Rukk)

x5 Savage Orruk Boarboys (Brutal Rukk)

x2 Savage Orruk Big Stabba's

+

Brutal Rukk Formation

Total = 960pts

The wardokk and big stabba's do have to play catch up with the rest of the army, however they are normally going to be kept behind for support so its not too big of an issue. I think this is a nice quick little army to begin the game with, and even though it lacks shooting, it makes up for it with sheer weight of green and combat. I know I can put in a Wurrgog Prophet if i drop the Wardokk, however, and i might get weird looks for this. I don't believe a big boss leader should be leading a small point force like this, its a weird rule i live by, but i'm in the hobby for the story and theme xD

One of the negatives of the Internet is that over time, the net lists become the only way to play.  Awesome that you're doing your own thing and having fun.  Sometimes I have to remind myself that less optimized approaches can still get the job done!

Too bad that an unarmored version of the warchanter doesn't fit within the Bonesplittas.  Seems like a useful and thematic addition.

Do you plan to expand to 1,500+?  If so, what are your plans?

Well its not just the internet. I think after coming off of warhammer fantasy people still try to make those deathstar style units to try and do all the jobs they need. Whether its 40 Arrowboys with a battalion and wizards to back them up, i still don't believe in the deathstar style of play. It just feels a little flimsy to be honest, and kind of out of character in an army sense. Well to me it does at least. I tend to build my army as if it were actually an army, the elite units coming in at later points because i feel it makes more sense xD

To expand to 1,500 i'm pretty much going to keep sticking with the Brutal Rukk, but actually making it a bit harder hitting in combat. With the next 500pts added to the army it would look something like this:

Savage Big Boss (Leader, Brutal Rukk)

Wardokk

Maniak Weirdnob 

x30 Savage Orruks (Savage Stikka, Brutal Rukk)

x20 Savage Orruks (Chompa, Brutal Rukk) 

x20 Savage Orruks (Chompa, Brutal Rukk)

x5 Savage Boarboys (Brutal Rukk)

x5 Savage Boarboys (Brutal Rukk)

x4 Big Stabba's or 2 x2 Big Stabbas

+

Brutal Rukk Formation

Total = 1460

It would look something like this in my head. The addition of another quick moving unit of savages with reaching weapons is quite the scary thing to get tied up in combat with. But the Weirdnob comes in his own here, his spell being able to bubble and effect all Savage Orruks and giving them re-roll 1's to hit. The Boarboys being still used as little missiles against enemy artillery of shooting units, or just even speedy objective grabbers. I could switch out the 30 Savages with Stikka's for a 20 Orruk mob of Moarboys. While its not as fast as the rest of the army, they can keep up easily enough and add the weight of dice into combat. If i did that i would consider either a second wardokk to try and patch up the army or turning the big stabba's into a unit of 6 to fill in the remained of points. 

Archived