Stormcast - third thing to buy

amysrevenge

Well there's the 9 Prosecutors in the 3 starter sets.  And I'm thinking of converting 2 of the 3 Lord Celestants to be Concussors (not a bit stretch of the hobby muscles there lol).

Sort of thinking Judicators. I've actually got one box of them I won at an event a while ago, that I forgot I had because SCE were off my radar back then lol.  So maybe one more box of those guys and I'll be close to done...

One thing I haven't done is look at SCE formations.  Mostly because until now I've been playing things where there are 0-1 viable formations so I don't even think about them.  I'm not averse to buying the odd formation on the app, but I'm not familiar enough with them to know what ones to grab.

I definitely think the characters in the Stormcast list offer a pretty good starting point as a way to expand. It sounds like you've got a pretty smashy hand to hand force if you've got those starter sets. So you might actually want to think about a Lord Celestant on Foot. His command ability gives units in a 9" bubble +1 to hit. I've found it a bit more useful than the Lord Celestant on Dracoth's command ability, since I don't usually find my Stormcast failing Battleshock tests. I also like the Knight Heraldor, since he can blow up terrain with his magic horn, and he's got options for posing now too. You might also want to consider a Lord Castellant, who isn't a bad character, and his Lantern can either blast enemy units or buff friendly ones with a +1 to their save throws and a chance to regain lost wounds if you roll well. I like to use my Castellant to buff my Stardrake!

Judicators are a good choice if you want to spice things up with shooting options. I think the Knight Venator (Winged Guy with Bow and Bird) is a pretty great investment to boost those shooting/sniping options too. Also, if you have the Lord Relictors from the starting kits, you can have two of them placed into a Brotherhood of Great Bolts formation from the Godbeasts book. If you were to run the formation you'd need two Knight Vexillors (but you already have one, so grab another Banner Bearer or convert a Paladin using the banner you didn't use from the first Vexillor) and a Celestant Prime, which I would also say should be in the plans to pick up. The formation basically allows those four models (the Relictors and Vexillors) to chuck around mortal wound dealing lightning bolts (with a small chance of skaven-ish self explosion in the process) while also turbocharging the Celestant Prime's Ghal Maraz!

If you're going to dabble with Formations some more, you might also consider that you can use the contents of a starter box in a Thunderstrike Brotherhood, which allows the entire formation to 'lightning strike' onto the battlefield. Normally you'd have to keep those at around 9 inches distance from the enemies, making it a tough charge roll once they arrive. But if you have a Knight Azyros, you can deploy lightning strike models within 5 inches of him, ignoring the rule about being more than 9 inches away from the baddies!

So to summarize, I'd say you might want to consider a Lord Celestant on Foot, a Knight Heraldor, a Knight Venator, a Lord Castellant, a Celestant Prime, and perhaps a Knight Azyros. Beyond that, Judicators can be handy if you want more shooting, and the Stardrake if you want a colossal cool model that smashes face and acts like a bullet magnet.

Ah, boo.  My 3rd starter set was only a partial set.  Grabbed it last night from a FLGS guy who got a defective starter box for massive discount, only wanted the Chaos half so he was gonna give me the SCE half for cheap, but it was only 3/5 of the sprues.  Missing the Celestant sprue and one of the two prosecutor/liberator sprues.

If I were in your position I'd be looking at adding a Lord-Celestant on foot for his +1 to hit command ability as that would go well with all those warhammers thwacking enemies about the head. +1 to hit rolls and re-rolling save rolls of 1 seems pretty nice to me.

I'd also consider, as you stated, getting another box of Judicators to add some more ranged support whilst your mass mob of shield wielding badass boys stomp across the battlefield. I'm actually building my first lot of Judicators now but thought I'd have a break and make a cuppa and have a look on here :P

I've gotta be thrifty and save my pennies (which we don't even have anymore in this country) just to grab one box of models. 

My big problem is that my main strength in building armies is maximizing the second hand market, and that's just not there yet in any numbers for SCE locally.  People either bought them and still like them, or haven't bought them yet.

Retributors are good, but stashes of the other Paladins would be a good investments. And I too believe in having at least a second unit of Judicators.
Celestant Prime and/or Stardrakes are amazing, but late army additions, unless building an army around them.

For me I'm starting out with a stater set then I purchased 6 dracothian guard. Still waiting for those. 

My plan for now is to run the first battalion, the Thunderstrike Brotherhood and support it with Fulminators.

The battalions depend on your style of play. Any of the 5 deepstrike formations are good for slapping down everythingwhere you need it. I'm looking to build a Grymn's Brotherhood for defend missions and lastly my 'anti-that guy' list is Brotherhood of the Great Bolts. 

Archived