What´s the best way to start Stormcast Eternals?

Ulfast

Hello fellow order players.

I´m wondering what is the best way to start the Stormcasts? As I see it I can buy the battalion set or the age of sigmar starter set (but sadly I have no one to split with the Khorne stuff). What would you do?

Second, what would be the next buy after the battalion or starter set?

P0lease help a new general. :D 

Shopping for the whole box is cool because you get the big rules on the hard cardstock, and another army to play against if you're brand new to the game, but looking at eBay for the SC side of the box is probably you best way to start.

Here's and example of what you can find.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Warhammer-Age-of-Sigmar-AoS-Stormcast-Eternal-Starter-Set-Miniatures-/172517150588?_trkparms=aid%253D222007%2526algo%253DSIC.MBE%2526ao%253D1%2526asc%253D20150519202348%2526meid%253D09617bc2923045fd8a85bb357ee1cc75%2526pid%253D100408%2526rk%253D7%2526rkt%253D25%2526sd%253D292011193990&_trksid=p2056116.c100408.m2460

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

We are just seeing a new wave of releases for the Stormcast faction, including a new Battletome which will contain a whole bunch of rules including new units and formations.

Personally, I'm in the same boat as yourself with considering to start a Stormcast army right now. What I'm going to do, is give it one week so that I can see what the new Battletome is like, and then hopefully go from there.

I'm not a big fan of the starter box or start collecting box because they have an odd number of models (retributors) and don't come with all the upgrades. It's great for getting a force on the table though, no doubt about that. I think I'm going to start with just getting some odds and ends of the new releases and go from there (I am in no rush to get a force onto the tabletop). I really like the look of the Vanguard Chamber so hopefully there will be some nice formations in the new book that I can use to guide my purchases.

If you want to get stuck in with the game straight away though, then yeah I think the SC half of the Age of Sigmar starter box is a good bet. You get solid battleline troops for matched play (2x5 Liberators) and some decent characters. Just add a few models to bulk it up to 1000 points and you're good to go.

Next week the new Stormcast Battletome releases. It will make the current 2 books completely obsolete, so do not get them.

As far as the models go, both the 2 player starter and Start Collecting box are pretty lousy for Stormcasts as you actually need BOTH to fill out the unit of Paladins (the are a minimum 5 man squad, you get 3 in one box and 2 in the other), and you get none of the special weapons options.

If you can find the Stormcast mega army from 2 years ago, or the Stormcast Battleforce from last year, either of those would be a much better place to start.

As far as individual unit boxes, avoid buying Liberators, Judicators, and Prosecutors for the moment. They are about to be repacked with double the models per box, at only about a 20% increase in price.

This box used to be a beauty:

10064.jpg

However I think it is discontinued (might have one in a store near you)?

It was one of the early bundle boxes, had a discount (not massive) but everything in this one is essential (or was, there'll be a lot of changes to stormcast next week after all!).

The discount is probably not great now though with the price change to 10 judicators and 6 prosecutors.

I started with the stormcast / bloodbound starter set. While its an amazing deal, in hindsight, I would have preferred to have started with either one of the stormcast battleforce boxes. The reason why is that the starter set is not the full models so they are no option for starsoul maces / grand weapons etc. without kitbashing them, but since i was getting back into the hobby from like warhammer edition 5 i had no bits to use :( 

-burscheid

I'd avoid the start collecting box and stater set due to the odd number of Retributors and lack of full equipment options, if you're planning a serious force - they are fine for a giggle, but restricted for expansion.

The new, cheaper boxes of 10 Liberators/Judicators look like a good way to build your core. A box or two of Paladins will serve you well, along will a Lord-Celestant on Foot and another hero (they all do a job).

But as others suggest, check out the new battletome, there might be a new normal as of next week!

17 hours ago, Taketheskull said:

I'd avoid the start collecting box and stater set due to the odd number of Retributors and lack of full equipment options, if you're planning a serious force - they are fine for a giggle, but restricted for expansion.

The new, cheaper boxes of 10 Liberators/Judicators look like a good way to build your core. A box or two of Paladins will serve you well, along will a Lord-Celestant on Foot and another hero (they all do a job).

But as others suggest, check out the new battletome, there might be a new normal as of next week!

That's exactly what I was thinking, it's definitely the quickest and cheapest way to get stuck in though.

Looking forward to seeing the new Battletome so I can really get planning!

I started by buying a holiday box my GW still had, and then 2 character packs (Lord celestant on foot and Lord castellant) and then I pre ordered the new book and a box of judicators. I am thinking to build the dracoth guys as mounted lords since I am not sure how useful they are in the game

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, wayniac said:

I started by buying a holiday box my GW still had, and then 2 character packs (Lord celestant on foot and Lord castellant) and then I pre ordered the new book and a box of judicators. I am thinking to build the dracoth guys as mounted lords since I am not sure how useful they are in the game

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

The box! You lucky devil.

The dracothian guard are very solid. But I would wait for changes and new battalions in the updated tome.

I played a 1000p tournament today and my 2 fulminators did me proud.

Game 1 - my first round - charge and kill stonehorn. Round after - charge and kill thundertusk.

Well, all the criticism of the Start box is valid, but then isn't at the same time. I got the £10 retibutor box on top, then got an extra 5 paladins in the £35 box. There are enough weapon upgrades in the paladin box to get 2 starsoul maces to flesh out the 10 man unit you will have doing this (which you want really). With the Protector bits that are in the paladin box I used to glaives to make some grand blades for the liberators, and if I can be bothered to convert its not hardest task in the world xD 

15 minutes ago, Celestant651 said:

Why does everyone like the hammers instead of the swords? Personally I like 3 up before the 4 up.

It's easier to provide a boost on the hit roll (e.g., Lord-Celestant on foot), so you readily get to 2+/3+ against big models due to Lay Low the Tyrant. With the swords, you get to 1+/4+, which in Matched Play is still a 2+/4+. 

Sorry for the double post, but I would like to hear your thoughts guys on us taking on an army of destruction with beastclaw nasties.

I recently faced a friend's list that had 4 Huskards on Thundertusks, 1 Goblin Shaman, 2 units of 20 Grots and 1 unit of 40 Grots all of them with 1 fanatic each.

Granted my list was experimental, but I felt really helpless to deal with it in any meaningful way...

So have you guys any experience with such a list?

20 minutes ago, Siegfried VII said:

4 Huskards on Thundertusks

Ouch!

So you need to stay outside the threat range of each (which is tough as they may have the d6" hero phase move as well as their 8" move ontop of the 18" breath range) as that's 24 mws each turn (undamaged).

Damaging each with at least 3 usually means you aren't facing the guaranteed 6 mw.

But with 4 to heal if they roll enough (and with plus 1 for each other huskard thundertusk within X" rolling is a formality) you won't be plinking them individually.

You must mercilessly target and kill 1 with something that will take the breath of 3 next turn. Ideally you want to mercilessly target and kill ALL at once lol

You won't be able to reach them with grot swamps with fanatics.

Tbh, that list is disgusting. And therefore your pal is asking for the same treatment back!

Things will be clearer after the new tome but with the meta NOW you need teleporting.

Take the disgusting WB with 20 protectors, 2x Azyros. Then dump the extra points into either the judicators or the prosecutors with javelin units in the formation.

It's 5 extra juds or 6 extra prosecutors. Prob best with javelins.

He may deploy in such a way that you can't drop near the thundertusks at all.

In which case you'd need to go through grots and that might take time...

Or you take 10 protectors and 10 decimators... now against his list, that might be just gross. He deserves it though!

Or you could drop ranged to kill grots. It's a bit of a race against time but the basic idea is he's going to want to surround his thundertusks with grots. IF he just uses them for objectives, again decimators work.

Alternatively you could beef up 1 lib unit and drop libs to smash up grots. IF he releases fanatics, great. If not well there will be 24 mw on the way.

... I think ranged is best.

But anyway, new battletome!

Thanks for the advice mate. I was thinking something along the lines of Warrior Brotherhood too. 

First step to give him first turn. 

Droping with everything on the 40 grot bodyguard, try to kill ta least one Thundertusk with shooting and try to kill all or most of the grots.

Then if I get the double turn kill the rest of the grots with shooting and charge for the kill.

Of course if I don't get the double turn it can still go very south...

11 hours ago, Nubgan said:

Well, all the criticism of the Start box is valid, but then isn't at the same time. I got the £10 retibutor box on top, then got an extra 5 paladins in the £35 box. There are enough weapon upgrades in the paladin box to get 2 starsoul maces to flesh out the 10 man unit you will have doing this (which you want really). With the Protector bits that are in the paladin box I used to glaives to make some grand blades for the liberators, and if I can be bothered to convert its not hardest task in the world xD 

But you want 4 maces in a 10 man unit. You are allowed 2 per every 5.

11 hours ago, Turragor said:

It was the dream charge!

In theory, 1 Fulminator can take down Archaon in 1 round. VERY unlikely, put possible. I like the Tempestors, Fulminators, and Concussors. They are each pretty nice and can pump out lots of damage. Also, they bring alot of speed to the table which is something SE foot troops tend to lack. Not a fan of the Axe guys, only because you need ALOT of them for them to be good. Don't care much for deathstars.

Archived