What's been your best narrative game so far?

Darth Alec

• 2 weeks later...

My brother and I have been battling lately using a battleplan I'm working on for pick-up narrative play.  So far we've come up with a fun story running through it about one of his Brayherd Heroes undergoing the transformation into The Everbray, the favored champion of the Great Horned Skull.  Soon, Gnarloc the Flenser will ascend to Daemonhood and go from being an ancient pewter Wargor to a Reaper "Minotaur Demon Lord" (also presumably from a Wargor to a Daemon Prince).

58adb2b048f50_DemonLordofMinotaurs.png.67e7289a298de99d7dba6c838837901a.png

I wouldn't say a game I'd say I have a favourite campaign, Realm Hoppers. Both the lead in online campaign and the event day.  

It was really great fun seeing everyone building up their armies and the narrative surrounding them. The event was also great with 4 different styles of play (open, narrative, matched and multiplayer). The great boards packed with terrain really brought it home, we all brought a terrain pieces but there wasn't really enough room to fit them on the tables, so much great stuff was already provided. 

The precampaign allowed for some interesting player specific narrative as well as the overall event narrative. Great stuff. 

Of course what really brought it all togeather was willingness of the participants to buy into the concept that story is what really mattered. Which is probably what really makes a narrative game or campaign work, being able to commit to the story. 

I'd have to say my favorite was the battleplan Consumed from the GHB.  It was a small game and my stormcast were holding off the wanderers.  It finally came down to the last imitative roll, I won and was able to finish the ritual just as the wild riders and archers were about to destroy my Lord Relicator.   Great game very tense. My strategy was just to slow down the other army as much as possible to finish the ritual.  Very tense.

Last week I played the Fyreslayer's scenario 'The Fiend below'. It was incredible. It felt like an high pressure action show or a exiting computer game. It was really fun and automatically told a story. 

But that was a one off scenario. Still fun but not as fun as the campaign we are playing with four friends. It's amazingly fun, to story centres not on the characters on the field but on the players themselves. Or at least 50/50. Because after only 6 matches there are some serious rivalries and backstabbing going on. 

And those are, for me, the best stories. Not the ones you make up and then fight the battles but the ones that you co-create on the battlefield and then add the fluff.

• 1 month later...

A buddy used Death and I played the Khorne Minotaur formation with the scenario.

He tossed his army at me and I moved forward mowing them down.  Last turn his Necromancer escapes and he wins.  It was a grindfest and a blast to play.

Best thing was he used a lot of old gors and ungor models as zombies so it had a Shaman Slayer feel for anyone who has read that book :D

Archived