Do Combat only characters get any use?

Ben

Does anyone make use of Non-Wizard, Non-Engineer type, dedicated combat characters on foot/horseback that DO NOT have a command ability?

I'm talking about the likes of the Stormcast Knight-Errant or Saurus Eternity Warden.  Not a monster rider.  

I guess it would be the old WFB 'hero' level characters.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anyone make use of Non-Wizard, Non-Engineer type, dedicated combat characters on foot/horseback that DO NOT have a command ability?
I'm talking about the likes of the Stormcast Knight-Errant or Saurus Eternity Warden.  Not a monster rider.  

Grimwrath Berserker sees a lot of use with Fyreslayers, he's the best hero for damage output.

When you mean the without a command ability though there's little difference unless they're the General. My point being that I use Heroes that do have command abilities but aren't the general.

Why are you specifically interested in ones without?!

It's hard to justify the points and leader slot for a guy that doesn't buff and is going to die asap. Even the 'little guys' that do buff you just know they are gonna eat it sooner than later. I love most characters in Khorne Bloodbound, but the first volley with their name on it and it's blood for the blood god, but not in a good way. 

That being said I love the Skullgrinder. I mean, he swings an anvil!

Valkia is a consideration. Lord-Celestant on Dracoth also comes to mind. He technically has a command ability but it's not too relevant.

On the whole I generally can't justify these characters in my lists unless I'm just doing it for the hell of it. They tend to be uncompetitive with one or both: Units and characters that buff them. FWIW this was also often the case in Fantasy.

I think there has to be a reason. You take a hero for his synergy or ability. No one is really going to take say, a bannerless wight king for no reason. Even if you did you would probably put him with skeletons for synergy. There was one person at LVO that took some cairn wraiths in a ghost army, not sure what he did with them though. 

5 minutes ago, GRex said:

I use the Lord of Plagues as part of my Rotbringer Battalion. It's nice having a rend character in with the Blightkings. 

The reaperblade chaos lord keeping his distance with the 2" weapon could sit behind other models and use the DoT destiny dice to guarantee delivery of the 2D6 wounds.  He obviously doesn't meet the full requirements of the thread, but there are some others like that i'm sure.

In order for small fighty heroes to be used more is to make them slightly cheaper in points.

For their points most of the time you can put a unit in the list that will most likely do more damage and/or have more wounds...

That said I always bring a combat character in my battles as I like the idea of a hero chopping through a sea of enemies... :)

I use them quite a lot, but I play mostly casual games in the range of 1000-1500 points. Saurus Sun blood with relic blade (if that was the weapon that gave +1 damage) is a beast. I play also Slaanesh heralds on foot, but they do have synergy with the daemonettes. For my Slaves to Darkness part, I'm actually planning to go full on hero hammer with many different solo heroes, as I think it fits the theme quite well.

It seems a lot of armies which have these guys either have guys who are just as fighty but better at buffs, or spend their points on buffs rather than killing. It doesn't help that a lot of "fighty" heroes have damage 1 (lolchaos) or "D3 on a 6" (Wight King). Better to go straight for the higher damage dealers or better buffers.

-Well, technically the Frostlord on Stonehorn in a combat character :)

-I like the Skullgrinder for its synergy with +1 attacks abilities

-The LOCD is justifiable, he combines a lot of good things.

-The Knight Questor ask for the ennemy to use high mortal wounds imput otherwise he is unmovable in 3placesofpower

-I, sometimes, use the lord celestant on foot only for his shooting attack.

10 hours ago, Ben said:

I use a Bretonnian Paladin of Foot even when there are no peasants nearby, I love charging these guys in and seeing how much face i can wreck with his killing blow. 

There are a handful that seem to be able to do some work.  Both the Tomb King on foot and the TK on a chariot (even with out using their command abilities from Settra) have attacks at -2 rend and 3 damage for Death.  I've fielded them purely for this combat ability before.  

Similarly, in Order, I've used the Dwarf Lord on Shield bearers not as my general but as a killy hero for his -2 rend and 3 damage attacks (which get even better with items!).  This combined with his 7 wounds and the possibility of triggering his command ability from Longbeards makes him a worthwhile option imo.  

In Chaos, Belakor arguably fits into this category because he isn't a monster, but he is sporting six attacks at -2 rend and 2 damage (packed into good mobility and a fantastic suite of defensive abilities).  I've used both Belakor and his little brother daemon princes for their rend attacks in a Nurgle army (since Nurgle does not have significant rend options).   

In Destruction, I've run Night Goblin Big Bosses as combat characters since buffed they can do double damage on a 6+ to wound (from a friendly command ability) and the boss' squig's bite goes to a D6 on those 6+ to wound.  Coupled with a Battlebrew, these little Big bosses can pack quite a surprising punch.  

So yes, I do selectively.  Most characters are indeed not worth their points for combat purposes.  A few are, and when they are, its because they serve a specific purpose on the battlefield (usually with -2 or better rend).  

To be fair, the only pure unmounted combat character I can think of for Death is the Cairn Wraith, not including Compendium. Generally a Wight King is there for the banner, Vampire Lords provide spells as well as some fightiness and Ghoul Kings are taken for buffs more than damage output.

That said, Heroes in Death are taken for spreading out Deathless as well, so they'll always have a secondary durability buff. It's the main reason I throw a Cairn Wraith in my list to soak up points now and then.

Archived