AoS28 - The Dark Age of Sigmar

Ben

This is the leader of my Black Sloth Hell Aelves, the Spiritseer. More than the others, she has been warped by the unnatural swamp. All the aelves wear masks, partly out of shame over what has become of them: aelves are a vain and proud race and entropy and decay is anathema to them.

I don't usually use 3rd party models but the body I've used - from a D&D miniature - was so perfect for my theme that I couldn't resist.

large.spirit_seer.jpg.de0f27dbf32e115748f581803382f2b3.jpg

• Like 11

5 minutes ago, Bruticus said:

This is the leader of my Black Sloth Hell Aelves, the Spiritseer. More than the others, she has been warped by the unnatural swamp. All the aelves wear masks, partly out of shame over what has become of them: aelves are a vain and proud race and entropy and decay is anathema to them.

I don't usually use 3rd party models but the body I've used - from a D&D miniature - was so perfect for my theme that I couldn't resist.

large.spirit_seer.jpg.de0f27dbf32e115748f581803382f2b3.jpg

I am working on some beastclaws. Quite muted. Background I have is very 'real' - as much as can be allowed with their fluff - and masks are a part of it.

Sadly there is nothing like I envision and I cannot sculpt what I have in my head so my vision is held back by my naff abilities.

This will as a result be a project I come back to after I get a bit better with the ol green stuff.

The crew of the Ogresun. Pirates of Ghur.

Kaptain Salty Ogbad and the Ogresuns were a Mordheim warband for years before they became adventures in the Mortal Realms. Their backstory has been updated a little but their misadventures continue. They are about to embark on a new one inspired by John Blanche's Voodoo Forest setting - flying ships, floating islands and endless tangled forests will play a big part.

20170107_153131.jpg

20161120_222343.jpg

20161110_183710.jpg

20161110_183645.jpg

Edited by WarbossKurgan
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, curnow said:

Leader of my chaos warband . All the chosen are going to be slaughter priest size and the scummy underlings normal .

tmp_2500-20161224_123102-2007360392.jpg

I think this guy is great. He looks like the sort of guy that could only exist in Age of Sigmar - but he also has loads of character and is more menacing than most of what we've seen so far from AoS. 

• Like 1

not that I really needed an excuse, but this certainly provides the necessary impetus to finally starting building a 'themed' warband that I have been itchy to do for some time.  It's so easy to have the blinders on when you are painting your way through unit after unit in an army.  this will serve as a nice distraction break from said units.  Would be really cool down the road to see specific AoS28 gaming events/campaigns and tournaments.

great stuff everyone!

I'm quite excited by this, have several ideas. I'm going to start with a human warband, building on an idea I had for Mordheim but without the restrictions on armour and weapons. My idea is to build a small mercenary outfit, one that hires it self out to hunt monsters and cults. They will be led by a former free guild knight, lone survivor of some horrific battle, now living life as an outcast. Kind of drawing inspiration from The Brotherhood Without Banners from A Song of Ice and Fire, and aesthetically from Dark Souls, The Witcher, and historical clothing, but hopefully keep the Warhammer look to. Will have some WIPs to show this weekend.

• Like 2

Hello guys, I am ready to join the fray! As many of you I am so hyped for this! I am currently working on a couple of projects which I think will fit nicely in here and I am glad that this great project will be hosted on TGA, a great and positive community!

So, let me present you the first of my war bands for AoS28:

The Luminarchate of Anaryn

Tonight, when darkness will embrace the land and the light of courage will fickle in our heart, we shall walk again the Path of the Enlightened and reflect upon the Fifth Mystery of Sehemaza:

"He who witnesses my radiant splendor shall see his deeds restored and preserved, stronger than stone, purer than light, as to embrace my Law means to resist the ways of the Changer" 

Glory to the Luminarch, Alluminas be praised

The idea behind this project came from my many years of Warhammer Fantasy Role-play... I was around back in the days of the 1st edition of the game and I remember bits of fluff that have long been forgotten and arguably have no space in the new AoS setting... Or do they?

I was recently re-reading the Realm of Chaos books (the original ones form the late 80s) and I found very interesting that the description given of the Chaos dimension (the Warp, the Immaterium or whatever name you want to give it) has survived in more or less the same philosophical spirit... A place where literally everything is possible, where new gods are born every day and old and forgotten deities are slowly fading into oblivion. There is no really such thing as "canon" fluff when we are talking about this Realm and it's always been far from straightforward and full of interesting paradoxes. One of these were the forgotten Law Gods, the triumvirate of deities that were described as the philosophical opposite of the Chaos Gods: these were Alluminas, god of light and eternity, Solkan, god of punishment and vengeance, and Arianka, goddess of rectitude and temperance.

So I wondered, what if among the endless dimensions of the Mortal Realms some humans were still worshipping these ancient gods? As the RoC books suggest, as long as a warp entity have worshippers it exists as a tangible materialisation of their communal devotion, desires and fears. So the Law Gods could still exist, provided that somebody was still praising them.

So that was what I imagined... a community of faithfuls who somehow managed to keep their devotion to the Law Gods intact and survived the Age of Chaos to be rediscovered by Sigmar in the initial stages of its Vengeful war.

Let's jump to this project then, which revolves around the idea of the small kingdom of Anaryn in the Realm of Hysh (Light) protected by an order of warrior-monks called the Luminarchate whose hq is an abbey/library which survived miraculously the Age of Chaos. Much like our own benedictine monks during the Dark Ages, I imagined the Luminarchate to trace its origins back to a religious order who spent centuries collecting and protecting all the knowledge they could find, copying it in manuscripts and enchanted tomes which they kept locked in a giant Fortress-Library. It was thorough their endless quest that they found out about the Law Gods and started to worship Alluminas for protection, trusting the Unmoving God with the preservation of their holy work.

When Sigmar's Storm broke and the Age of Chaos came to an end the ancient Realmgate deep in the heart of the Abbey cracked open and a small company of marble clad giants emerged from the swirling void beyond. Similar in appearance to the image of their gods the Luminarchate named them Astrafteros, the Gleaming Ones and started worshipping them as emanations of Solkan, the Vengeful Punisher. These divine warriors spoke to the people of the Luminarchate telling them that the time had come to leave the boundaries of their hiding place and finally spread the True Word of the Law to the rest of the land and to liberate them from the curse of change. Armed with all the knowledge of times long gone the Luminarchate warriors are powerful indeed and their zeal is unshakeable like the will of their god.

The paladin warriors of the Luminarchate are fanatics who believe that change in every form is abominable and try hard to reach enlightenment through martial discipline, rigorous asceticism and constant prayer. If you are familiar with the Name of the Rose (either the book or the movie), they would get along really nicely with Jorge of Burgos... Basically their paradoxical philosophy is that all knowledge exists as an emanation of the gods (both chaos and law gods) with the difference that change and progress are tools of chaos, akin to black magic, while the wisdom of their lawful patrons is eternal, unmovable and unchangeable. It must only be preserved, not enriched, as doing so is to invite the Dark Powers into ones heart. Their adepts and acolytes are constantly copying ancient manuscripts recovered by their brethren and even the minimal deviancy from the original text or addition is severely punished by there superior.

The Luminarchate is constantly trying to recover these fragments of ancient knowledge to preserve them for future generations, but every time a tome or a scroll is found and taken back to the vaults of the Abbey, the higher ranks of the order gather to study their contents to establish whether the knowledge within it is pure and untainted, and therefore worth surviving and being preserved, or tainted by Chaos and destroyed on the spot.

They might dress in gleaming white and gold but they are as grimdark as 40k most puritan inquisitor.

Strangely they do not seem to see any difference between their patron and the astral god worshipped by the Astrafteros, who in turn never spoke against their creed or their rites. Are Sigmar and Alluminas one and the same or are the new comers exploiting the religious fervor of the Luminarchate to fulfill their own goals?

I will leave you with some shots of my first Astraftero (almost no conversion at all I am afraid) and the first attempt of converting a warrior of the Luminarchate... More to follow, hopefully very soon!

Hagen

Stormcast1.jpg

Stormcast3.jpg

Stormcast4.jpg

Stromcast2.jpg

luminarcato1.jpg

1207_001.jpg

• Like 24

33 minutes ago, Thundercake said:

"How do you do your Marble, it looks amazing!"

I second this, also, your drawing is top notch!

Thanks guys! The marble recipe is quite simple actually and pretty enjoyable to do...

• Base coat of Corax White (spray) 
  • Then you start playing with shades... I used 3/4 thin coats of different colours, Reikland Fleshshade, then Agrax Earthshade and Drakenhof Nightshade. It is really important to thin these coats, I used Lahmian medium which I find a great product and give a more consistent result without letting the shades forming pools and stain the model in certain areas... This second passage is the one that takes most time, usually about an hour while you wait for each coat to dry before applying the next one.
  • Then it's time for some touching ups with ceratite white to create some highlights. Pretty straightforward.
  • After highlighting the model it's turn of the marble veins... With a very fine mechanical pencil (I use an HB to avoid scratching the paint) draw some very thin irregular lines across the whole marble areas... Do not overdo with this, it is important that the veins are visible but not too clustered together or it will detract from the final result. Once I was satisfied with the result I then retraced these lines with the same shades used previously (Reikland, Agrax  and Drakenhof) this time following the pencil lines and letting it slip a bit more in certain areas as the veins are often irregular in both colour and thickness.

And that is basically it! All in all is a one our job, allowing to complete the stromcast in less than 3 hours, which is a record for me!

When developing this technique last year I have taken inspiration in some great tutorial around the web, one in particular was very useful , so I shall post the link here (with pictures):

http://thegodmachines.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/how-i-learned-to-love-marble.html

Hope this helps.

Hagen

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Hagen said:

1207_001.jpg

Hagen - good to see you here. This is definitely embracing the spirit of AoS28 and I love the sketch. It looks almost like a Jes Goodwin Eldar warlock in a way - similar clean lines and pose. And yeah, that marble is incredibly realistic.

21 minutes ago, Bruticus said:

Here is the tree man for my Black Sloth Hell aelves. A treeman is so iconic for Wood Elves/Wanderer Aelves/Sylvaneth that I really wanted to include one, even if it is maybe a bit powerful for Hinterlands. 

tree_man.jpg

Mind blowing job on this model Jake! Do I recognise a FW chaos spawn?? Pure genius! Where does the skull come from?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Bruticus said:

Here is the tree man for my Black Sloth Hell aelves. A treeman is so iconic for Wood Elves/Wanderer Aelves/Sylvaneth that I really wanted to include one, even if it is maybe a bit powerful for Hinterlands. 

tree_man.jpg

Haelves? The grave is always Haelve full...darn Hell Elves need more armor!

"The Carnivalia of the Crooked"

Once the chief jester in Neferata's court, Rasputin, also known as "The Crooked One" has fallen from his patron's good graces. Cast out into the wilds of Shysh, and disfigured by the cruel knives of the Silver Queen, he wanders the blood red sands of the red wastes, scavenging for scraps and subjugating those unlucky few to wander near this tortured soul. His mind broken, he hides his face behind his porcelain mask, the only relic of his former life. Those he bends to his will are forced to hide their faces from the world, their mirrored masks reflecting their masters mask and madness back at him, constantly reminding him of that which was cruelly taken from him. He has vowed vengeance upon his cruel mistress, and seeks the "Puppeteer's Strings" an ancient artifact powered by the unclaimed souls wandering the red wastes. With those unlucky wretches subjugated to his will in tow, Rasputin and his morbid "Carnivalia" travel the wastes in search of the legendary artifact and more "performers" for the troop. The show must go on, and Rasputin will ensure that his return to the royal court will be a night to remember...

IMG_8576.JPG.7d0efe75ba75c6bd3e095c5ee3a879af.JPGIMG_8577.JPG.f2d83cd17c0f6cc0e9d79b82ae79bf90.JPG

• Like 13