AoS28 - The Dark Age of Sigmar

Ben

The first model in my AoS28 warband - a Wild Rider from the Black Sloth Hell: a drowned forest centered around a Realmgate to Shyish, the Realm of Death. The Aelves that live there think they are caught in a purgatory from Aelven folklore - a place where speed and grace and vitality are drained away. But the truth is more sinister than that.

With the gates of Azyr opening, emissaries have been arriving at the outskirts of the Aelven realm looking for allies. It is not yet clear what side, if any, the Aelves will take.

large.wild_rider.jpg.a4b3d1a06625692ec56826a45ebc6202.jpg

There is also now an AoS28 Facebook grouphttps://www.facebook.com/groups/AoS28/

• Like 16

8 minutes ago, Bruticus said:

The first model in my AoS28 warband - a Wild Rider from the Black Sloth Hell: a drowned forest centered around a Realmgate to Shyish, the Realm of Death. The Aelves that live there think they are caught in a purgatory from Aelven folklore - a place where speed and grace and vitality are drained away. But the truth is more sinister than that.

With the gates of Azyr opening, emissaries have been arriving at the outskirts of the Aelven realm looking for allies. It is not yet clear what side, if any, the Aelves will take.

large.wild_rider.jpg.a4b3d1a06625692ec56826a45ebc6202.jpg

There is also now an AoS28 Facebook grouphttps://www.facebook.com/groups/AoS28/

Oh wow Bruticus! That is awe inspiring! Glad to see your Black Sloth Hell setting from Ex Profundis is continuing with these models too!

• Like 2

Usually I don't post WIPs so early, but with all the excitement of this thread I just couldn't wait to get stuck in! As a disclaimer, and maybe as a bit of motivation for those already intimidated by the impressive modelling chops on display in this thread, I will say now, I am terrible at converting! I have no greenstuff sculpting skills, I am not very good at chopping up models too, so I will be relying solely on kitbashing! I am sure lots of you are in the same boat as me. But hopefully this will be a great chance to push myself! So with that in mind here is an early WIP of my Warband:

Greywater-WIP1.jpg.a822db02d1fc57b0bfd306420331cbc4.jpg

I'm basing my warband on Greywater Fastness from the Season of War. If you don't recall the conclusion for that city, they were basically overrun when they let off all their warmachines at once (including giant "macro" Hurricanums) that obliterated the entire countryside for miles in all direction.

That countryside was already drained swampland, so being subject to a post-apocalyptic explosion no doubt left it dank, gnarly, polluted and an altogether grim place to live...

With that in mind I thought the inhabitants should wear longcoats and hoods to keep off the acid rain as well as lanterns to see through the smog. As the place is quite technologically advanced I gave them all rifles and other gadgets like ad-hoc grenades and mechanical looking back packs.

I plan to add in a Stormcast model to lead the group and invoke the classic INQ28 Space Marine appeal. The Chamber will be one of my own creation and the story around them is that the entire chamber is cursed. They were outside the city gates when the bombs went off and were obliterated along with the enemy, killed to the last man. Upon being reforged, every one of them returned not much more than a silent automaton - the most you'll get out of one is a whispered rasp to pass judgement on the agents of Chaos which they now hunt down.

More to come soon, and I will start a plog somewhere on here to cover the progress!

(PS I am looking for the lanterns off the Steamtank kit, if you have one going spare let me know! :) ) 

Edited by bottle
  • Like 15

Awesome thread! I was chatting with a friend yesterday about an AoS equivalent to the Inq28 scene and it looks like you beat me to it by a whisker. (I'd never have done anything this productive anyway, I'm very lazy) :D 

My only two quibbles are:

The name being uninspired and superfluous: Inq28 is called Inq28 because it's Inquisitor, played with 28mm models instead of the 54mm ones the game was originally released with - an Age of Sigmar narrative warband skirmish game would be played with standard Age of Sigmar models (pretty sure our friend scale creep has ensured 'ordinary' humans like Blood Reavers and Karic Acolytes would have to squat to reach the 28mm mark anyway), with the exception of a couple of truly terrible staff Christmas gifts about 10 years ago no WFB or AoS models have ever been sculpted in 54mm scale. If you want the project's name to evoke Inquisitor, why not just call it "AoS: Witch Hunter"? Better still come up with a totally unique name so it can exist and develop on it's own merit and not as Inquisitor with magic wands instead of guns.

My second quibble's one purely of personal preference, but the emphasis on GrimDark made my stomach churn. The 40k universe has cornered the marked for GrimDark(!) already, and does it better than any other setting going (with the possible exception of the one we live in). Instead of existing permanently in the shadow of a setting that's always going to have more skulls, barbed wire, weird flying babies and gargoyles, with the added bonuses of faux-Catholicism and automatic weapons, why not play to the strengths of other areas of GW's IPs over the years? John Blanche is an obscenely gifted artist who's drawn way more than skull-faced kneecaps over the years, take a look at some of the more fantastical artwork he and the other GW artists turned in for the earlier editions of Warhammer in eons past for a source of inspiration:

Le26Zv2.jpg

hZSfXpl.jpg

XHcvJmW.jpg

Anywho, ramble aside, I'm not at home at the moment, so I can't post pics of all the appropriately warband-y type minis I've got lying around, but here are a few I've already got photographed:

UX9LhMj.jpg

QTtYqjP.jpg

Adventurer-y type journeyman Runelord I'd imagine leading a small force of duardin out of Azyr and into the depths of abandoned Karaks across the mortal realms, their treasures sealed away during the Age of Chaos.

Hw8KF4v.jpg

l0g5NX7.jpg

Heavily mutated Unforged prospector. Captured by skaven, this guy had warpstone hammered into his flesh by master moulders attempting to recreate the magic harnessed in the Ur-gold runes of the Fyreslayers; when the experiment proved a failure he was sold to a Bloodbound fighting pit, only to eventually fight his way out, slaughtering his entire tribe of captors. Now quite mad, the warpstone infused in his blood allows him to smell the taint of chaos on the winds of the Mortal Realms, leading the armies of Order to the doorstep of wherever the Dark Gods' forces might dwell.

2ZbRa7u.jpg

ImUFq3o.jpg

Severed daemon head I painted up to use as a matched play objective marker. Could be a cool oracle, stranded in the spot it was beheaded a hundred years prior, offering advice and prophecies to passing adventurers and warlords in twisted riddles. Also has a magic sword sticking out of the back with previous owner's hand still attached. Gross!

YDxzp35.jpg

Gunmaster conversion I threw together a while ago and am currently painting up. My Dispossessed/Freeguild force is from Greywater Fastness, so I'd originally converted him up to represent Valius Maliti, before the Disciples of Tzeentch book came out and revealed he'd been the Changeling all along.

AFapln9.jpg?1

Beer dogs. These guys are trained by the Warden-Kings' rangers to sniff out duardin who've got lost exploring the mortal realms, and lure them back to civilisation using the beer barrels around their necks.

I'll photograph more when I get a chance. Amazed by all the awesome models posted in the thread so far! :) 

• Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 1

I like the name AoS28, even though it technically doesn't mean anything. What I like about it is as soon as you say it people familiar with INQ28 know immediately what it entails, and secondly it has a lot of heritage in the name. When you're grandchildren ask why it was called AoS28 in 50 years time you can sit them down by the fire, clasp your hands together and say "Well. It all started with a game called Inquisitor, and from that came..." :P

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, bottle said:

I like the name AoS28, even though it technically doesn't mean anything. What I like about it is as soon as you say it people familiar with INQ28 know immediately what it entails, and secondly it has a lot of heritage in the name. When you're grandchildren ask why it was called AoS28 in 50 years time you can sit them down by the fire, clasp your hands together and say "Well. It all started with a game called Inquisitor, and from that came..." :P

Good point. I'll never get bored of explaining to people why GW spell "dwarfs" with an "f" ;) 

Also: Greywater Fastness 5!

Spoiler

Y9Kt7Fu.jpg

• Like 2

Love this concept - I've been looking for an excuse to dabble in AoS, just joined. I love that the setting is still pretty whooly, gives me real nostalgia for buying my first minis as a yout, not really knowing what they were about and my imagination running wild. Perhaps I'll get something made! Having not read all the source material out there, I'm struggling to even get the hang of how 'civilians' even work in the Mortal Realms  - anyone point me in the right direction?

1 minute ago, jagannath said:

Love this concept - I've been looking for an excuse to dabble in AoS, just joined. I love that the setting is still pretty whooly, gives me real nostalgia for buying my first minis as a yout, not really knowing what they were about and my imagination running wild. Perhaps I'll get something made! Having not read all the source material out there, I'm struggling to even get the hang of how 'civilians' even work in the Mortal Realms  - anyone point me in the right direction?

Hey dude, welcome to the forum.

Your best bet for AoS civies/normies right now is probably City of Secrets, the recently released Black Library novel about a Freeguild soldier, Witch Hunter and duardin fighting Tzeentchian corruption in one of the newly-established free cities of the Mortal Realms. I'm currently about halfway through and it's pretty good:

http://www.blacklibrary.com/all-products/city-of-secrets.html

BLPROCESSED-City-of-Secrets-Cover.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Double Misfire said:

Hey dude, welcome to the forum.

Your best bet for AoS civies/normies right now is probably City of Secrets, the recently released Black Library novel about a Freeguild soldier, Witch Hunter and duardin fighting Tzeentchian corruption in one of the newly-established free cities of the Mortal Realms. I'm currently about halfway through and it's pretty good:

http://www.blacklibrary.com/all-products/city-of-secrets.html

BLPROCESSED-City-of-Secrets-Cover.jpg

Thanks matey - I'll fire up the kindle....

• Like 1

Hi folks - really interested in this. 

Do my models/kit bash/conversions ideally have to be from GW AoS range or are other manufacturers encouraged? 

Malifaux/Reaper in particular have some excellent minis which would be perfect for AoS28.

For example, my old Skaven BSB has been sitting on my shelf since 8th Ed. With the existing points and rules I haven't quite found a use for him in AoS yet. But in AoS28, the "Pied Piper of Nuln" could be perfect when coupled up with a few choice Skaven kit bashes.

Appreciate your thoughts on this :)

I've always been amazed that GW never produced a "Pied Piper" model. Seemed such an obvious fit to me with Skaven! 

IMG_6628.JPG.1e12305499fbab33846e1da49aa7492d.JPG

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

My only two quibbles are:

The name being uninspired and superfluous: Inq28 is called Inq28 because it's Inquisitor, played with 28mm models instead of the 54mm ones the game was originally released with - an Age of Sigmar narrative warband skirmish game would be played with standard Age of Sigmar models (pretty sure our friend scale creep has ensured 'ordinary' humans like Blood Reavers and Karic Acolytes would have to squat to reach the 28mm mark anyway), with the exception of a couple of truly terrible staff Christmas gifts about 10 years ago no WFB or AoS models have ever been sculpted in 54mm scale. If you want the project's name to evoke Inquisitor, why not just call it "AoS: Witch Hunter"? Better still come up with a totally unique name so it can exist and develop on it's own merit and not as Inquisitor with magic wands instead of guns.

My second quibble's one purely of personal preference, but the emphasis on GrimDark made my stomach churn. The 40k universe has cornered the marked for GrimDark(!) already, and does it better than any other setting going (with the possible exception of the one we live in). Instead of existing permanently in the shadow of a setting that's always going to have more skulls, barbed wire, weird flying babies and gargoyles, with the added bonuses of faux-Catholicism and automatic weapons, why not play to the strengths of other areas of GW's IPs over the years? John Blanche is an obscenely gifted artist who's drawn way more than skull-faced kneecaps over the years, take a look at some of the more fantastical artwork he and the other GW artists turned in for the earlier editions of Warhammer in eons past for a source of inspiration:

Hi, I just want to address these (valid) points quickly. I chose AoS28 because it works as a hashtag, it immediately makes the association with Inq28 perfectly clear, more so than any variation would do. But the subtitle 'The Dark Age of Sigmar' could be considered the full name. And if it helps rationalise the name then pretend the 28 means 'between 2 and 8 models'. 

As for 'grimdark' I debated what word to use. But again this isn't about subtlety, it's about getting the message across clearly. A lot of people think AoS is wedded to one particular style - a bright and somewhat cartoony style on occasion. Really I'd like to introduce shades of grey, but I think if you told those people you wanted to add grimdark, they would get the idea. Also I think grimdark can mean more than just 40k specific traits, to my eye the images you posted look grimdark. The models you posted do as well, particularly the awesome prospector with warpstone hammered into his flesh!

Edited by Bruticus
  • Like 4

I have a feeling that the name (terrible btw!!!) And the grimdark will naturally evolve into something more AoS over time. 

But for now it's does a great job of saying exactly what you need to know. 

What works for 40k transferred to AoS and let grow. Either grow into it's own new thing. Or grow into its name. 

The community involved will lead this I'm sure. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What a great idea for a project and what an inspiring thread! I've been having great fun digging around in my bits box. 

Here is a very WIP picture of Prince Yvraine of Hammerhal, an aelf who has had just about enough of the depravity of the Realms, so rides out into the wild to right some wrongs. Alongside him are his bodyguard Visella, a master archer and pathfinder, as well as his lifelong pet Sissiqui, a gifted magic user and a terrible nuisance.

image.jpeg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Bruticus said:

Hi, I just want to address these (valid) points quickly. I chose AoS28 because it works as a hashtag, it immediately makes the association with Inq28 perfectly clear, more so than any variation would do. But the subtitle 'The Dark Age of Sigmar' could be considered the full name. And if it helps rationalise the name then pretend the 28 means 'between 2 and 8 models'. 

As for 'grimdarkg... I debated what word to use. But again this isn't about subtlety, it's about getting the message across clearly. A lot of people think AoS is wedded to one particular style - a bright and somewhat cartoony style on occasion. Really I'd like to introduce shades of grey, but I think if you told those people you wanted to add grimdark, they would get the idea. Also I think grimdark can mean more than just 40k specific traits, to my eye the images you posted look grimdark. The models you posted do as well, particularly the awesome prospector with warpstone hammered into his flesh!

Sorry if I seemed a little harsh in my original post! I agree that GrimDark is a subjective term (there should really be a line before it becomes GrimDerp) and with @Ben's point about GrimDark and the project as a whole evolving it's own independent feel over time.

An evening of rummaging and random gluing resulted in a few more blokes to wander the Realms. Don't know what their story is yet, but they'll get one. Nice to get that ogre model back into use as it's a really old one that's been hidden away for years - the paint job is at least 15 years old, so will get updated. I've given him a little rat friend.

image.jpeg

Wow, some inspiring stuff here already. I might have to make room for a little dark fantasy as well in my precious hobby time.

11 hours ago, bottle said:

(PS I am looking for the lanterns off the Steamtank kit, if you have one going spare let me know! :) )

I made a review of a company in the UK who made lanterns over at my blog.

https://miniaturedarkness.wordpress.com/2017/01/25/an-illuminating-review/

They where decent so check it out. Used one for a inq28 mini.