AoS28 - The Dark Age of Sigmar

Ben

11 hours ago, BrocknerTheBear said:

Though I'm sure there are those here who would balk at such sloppy organisation (or rather lack there of)

Oh no! that's the best way to be inspired (at least for me). Just one big box of bitz, although it's rather small after a ten year hiatus. But still that's where my conversion inspiration mostly comes from. 

20 hours ago, elfhead said:

Speaking of the bits box, how do you arrange your bits. Do you keep numerous boxes or split them up. What is your system? I have a decent amount of bits and I think it will get to a point I won't be able to remember every part I have and in which box or bag it is kept...

I normally try to split the bits into different shoe boxes (Empire shoe box, Bretonnia shoe box etc...) but I end up mixing them quite a lot. Definitely do not remember which bit I have or haven't but I do enjoy digging through my bits for several hours just to find that small head or arm that I was sure to have somewhere...

20 hours ago, elfhead said:

Speaking of the bits box, how do you arrange your bits. Do you keep numerous boxes or split them up. What is your system? I have a decent amount of bits and I think it will get to a point I won't be able to remember every part I have and in which box or bag it is kept...

I separate all of my bits, down to armor mark. For instance, I have those little bead containers and one of them is full of just Space Marine Helmets separated by type. This is how I like to organize my bits. I have LOTS of bits...

• Like 1

Should be getting my Triumvirate box tomorrow so I can get started on converting my wandering corpse bride. As for other characters to convert, I've come up with a few ideas. I'm going to buy the Freeguild General since it looks like a nice collection of bits to begin with, probably using the mounted chap as the runaway lord.
I also want the priest from the ceremony (still developing the fluff but I'm thinking he had something to do with the undead curse), might base this on the silver tower priest, I particularly like the arm holding the book.
The beggar who killed the bride and was then himself killed by the lord I'd like to represent as a spirit, perhaps using starting with the cairn wraith model over the beggar's dead body.
I'd also like to include one of the bride's lady maids to add some variety to the collection.

I'm loosely themeing the force around the Mexican day of the dead aesthetic; the mortal city they come from is no stranger to death (since they live in Shyish and all) and so they celebrate by showing reverence to the dead who inhabit the surrounding land and also as a kind of mockery, dressing up and painting their faces as skulls to flaunt the fact that actually they are all alive and relatively safe within the walls.

I'm wondering which kit would be a good investment for a collection of undead bits to use in the conversions, I used to have a few skulls and bits from back when I had a vampire army but I've used most of those up. The zombie kit could be good but the models are so old I'm not sure how well they fit with more modern ones like the Freeguild general and Silver Tower priest. I am aiming for a more zombified aesthetic rather than skeletal, that way I can do the face paint etc. 

I am working on a Warband of Order, a mix of rugged adventurers, veterans of many battles who have seen the horror of chaos. They may once have started out as shiny and enthusiastic, but they have changed...
My first piece is a Kroxxigor wich i made from the body of an older cold one with the head of a new, Lotr-Troll legs and Stormcast arms.

Well i am very pleased with the result but i cannot decide between these two shield sizes.
What would you prefer? I tend towards the bigger one, but i think it covers so much of the model...

Kroxxigor.jpg

K1.jpg

K2.jpg

K3.jpg

Edited by Jondo
  • Like 11

22 minutes ago, Jondo said:

Well i am very pleased with the result but i cannot decide between these two shield sizes.
What would you prefer? I tend towards the bigger one, but i think it covers so much of the model...

K2.jpg

K3.jpg

To be honest, I think the smaller shield looks better. It makes your croc look bigger :-)

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Paul G said:

Damn that guy is good @Jondo, love seeing lesser-seen races AOS28'd. 

Seems strange saying lesser-seen about such a new thing, but most I've seen so far have been Human!

Jondo, beautiful conversion mate, very creative and innovative take on the kroxigor concept! 

I would agree with Paul G when he says that it's lovely to see lesser represented races taking part in AoS28 and your idea of a band of adventurers/veteran chaos fighters suit the setting very well imho! I also agree with what has been said about the shield, bigger is better, at least in this case.

Hagen

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jondo said:

I am working on a Warband of Order, a mix of rugged adventurers, veterans of many battles who have seen the horror of chaos. They may once have started out as shiny and enthusiastic, but they have changed...
My first piece is a Kroxxigor wich i made from the body of an older cold one with the head of a new, Lotr-Troll legs and Stormcast arms.

Kroxxigor.jpg

K1.jpg

K2.jpg

K3.jpg

That is an incredibly cool conversion. The bigger shield suits him much better in my eyes. I can't wait to see this guy painted up with a couple of companions.

• Like 1

2017-03-01%2B23.03.28.jpg

Lack of a couple of paints has dampened any progress for a while, here's a WIP shot of two Tree Revenants built for the warband.

The idea behind these guys is that they've been disguised as humans, infiltrated into a city and gathering intel on enemies of the Dreadwood Sylvaneth. To fit into clothes they need to shave down their bodies, a form of flagellation that causes unintentional growth, as seen on their arms!

• Like 2

I have been living under a GW rock for a few months that turned almost in years but it seems the virus is still active.
I need you guys' help to know what is aos correct or not (I had to read on Wikipedia what happened to the GW world).

Few ideas come in mind. Are they aos28 ?
- Chaos dwarves?
- A beast master of Ordo Serpentis (dark elves) band ?
- Middenheimer stormcast inquisitor and retinue ?
- cathay Tzeentch daemon band ?

your advices will help me to narrow it down and start a band

9 minutes ago, Darth Mustard said:

I have been living under a GW rock for a few months that turned almost in years but it seems the virus is still active.
I need you guys' help to know what is aos correct or not (I had to read on Wikipedia what happened to the GW world).

- Chaos dwarves?

There has been a lot of discussion on what is or isn't AOS28. Some say its grimdark, some say its gritty, some say its the everyday or regular people in the realms in Age of Sigmar. I think all of your ideas will work. I think it depends on how you see AOS28. Maybe there is a particular post you draw inspiration from or identify with. Can you build off of that post to imagine a beast master in their world? Maybe a warband from Greywater Fastness that looks like @bottle's band on page two discovers a realm gate and goes through it to discover a free peoples city that has some cathy influences, and within that city is a cult of Tzeentch. I'm not saying you need to set it in someone else's world, but if it helps you get started use it as a building block. 

I'll have a blog started up today that will try to show how my idea for a Hinterland's style warband came up. To me, my idea and setting is AOS28, it may not be to everyone on TGA, and thats OK. To me, its about the common people, mixing high fantasy and low everyday life. These people aren't perfect, they have cuts, demons, history, etc.

Of your list.  I like the last 3 the best.

1 minute ago, Darth Mustard said:

- Chaos dwarves?

Welcome back then!

AoS is a bit of a strange setting... most of what you listed seem to refer specifically to the Old World of Warhammer, which has now been wiped out in the current setting. The new game takes place in a mythical feature, millennia after the destruction of the Old World by the Chaos Gods in eight weird and magical realms created by the eight winds of magic. Although Cathay, Middelheim and Chaos Dwarves no longer exist in the new setting, the best part of AoS is that since the realms are so vast to be almost infinite and completely bonkers in terms of culture and civilisations, it is very possible that something very similar to Cathay, Middelheim or Zharr Naggrudd actually exist in there as well.

To make you an example, Chaos Dwarves were not mentioned in the current fluff, but who knows whether an enclave of Hashut worshippers dwells in some corner of the Realm of Fire? What I am getting at is that, although AoS got rid of the Old World and its cultures as we knew it, the new setting itself is encouraging us to create our own factions and stories which can draw inspiration from anything we like, from the Old World to whatever you fancy.

So, instead of Cathay, why don't start developing your own background for a tzeentchan cult in a great and powerful eastern Empire in one of the realms, you will find that the crazy magical influences of them will contribute in creating something rather new and interesting... Just a thought;)

It might also help you to read the very useful FAQ by Jake at Ex Profundis (the mastermind behind AoS28), which gives answer to most of your questions. You can find it at the following link:

http://www.exprofundis.com/aos28-faq/

Hagen

There has been a lot of discussion on what is or isn't AOS28. Some say its grimdark, some say its gritty, some say its the everyday or regular people in the realms in Age of Sigmar. I think all of your ideas will work. I think it depends on how you see AOS28. Maybe there is a particular post you draw inspiration from or identify with. Can you build off of that post to imagine a beast master in their world? Maybe a warband from Greywater Fastness that looks like [mention=798]bottle[/mention]'s band on page two discovers a realm gate and goes through it to discover a free peoples city that has some cathy influences, and within that city is a cult of Tzeentch. I'm not saying you need to set it in someone else's world, but if it helps you get started use it as a building block. 
I'll have a blog started up today that will try to show how my idea for a Hinterland's style warband came up. To me, my idea and setting is AOS28, it may not be to everyone on TGA, and thats OK. To me, its about the common people, mixing high fantasy and low everyday life. These people aren't perfect, they have cuts, demons, history, etc.
Of your list.  I like the last 3 the best.

Thank you for your input thundercake. Looking forward to your blog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome back then!
AoS is a bit of a strange setting... most of what you listed seem to refer specifically to the Old World of Warhammer, which has now been wiped out in the current setting. The new game takes place in a mythical feature, millennia after the destruction of the Old World by the Chaos Gods in eight weird and magical realms created by the eight winds of magic. Although Cathay, Middelheim and Chaos Dwarves no longer exist in the new setting, the best part of AoS is that since the realms are so vast to be almost infinite and completely bonkers in terms of culture and civilisations, it is very possible that something very similar to Cathay, Middelheim or Zharr Naggrudd actually exist in there as well.
To make you an example, Chaos Dwarves were not mentioned in the current fluff, but who knows whether an enclave of Hashut worshippers dwells in some corner of the Realm of Fire? What I am getting at is that, although AoS got rid of the Old World and its cultures as we knew it, the new setting itself is encouraging us to create our own factions and stories which can draw inspiration from anything we like, from the Old World to whatever you fancy.
So, instead of Cathay, why don't start developing your own background for a tzeentchan cult in a great and powerful eastern Empire in one of the realms, you will find that the crazy magical influences of them will contribute in creating something rather new and interesting... Just a thought;)
It might also help you to read the very useful FAQ by Jake at Ex Profundis (the mastermind behind AoS28), which gives answer to most of your questions. You can find it at the following link:
http://www.exprofundis.com/aos28-faq/
Hagen

Thanks Hagen. I discovered AOS28 through Bruticus. I used to love the idea of converting fantasy models to Inq28 ones. So Aos is not an evolution but rather a reboot or a Kill Your Gods universe. I like the idea of creating a realm. I know grasp the idea that inq28!was about getting inspired by an illustration but aos28 is a blank canvass. An Tzeentchan kinda aisan daemon cult could be fun. It's interesting to get rid of all your previous Ideas and kind of liberating to actually create your own universe and minis.

7 hours ago, nicromancer said:

Latest character.
Burik the town guard of marshes end.
Everything is looking absolutely great in this threat! 
Full fluff for him over at 
http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

17098184_10206272500330919_435841828420873171_n.jpg

Very atmospheric painting and conversions! I do not recognise all the bits nor the hound... Where do they come from? Also, is it a banner protruding from the town guard's back?

Thanks Hagen. I discovered AOS28 through Bruticus. I used to love the idea of converting fantasy models to Inq28 ones. So Aos is not an evolution but rather a reboot or a Kill Your Gods universe. I like the idea of creating a realm. I know grasp the idea that inq28!was about getting inspired by an illustration but aos28 is a blank canvass. An Tzeentchan kinda aisan daemon cult could be fun. It's interesting to get rid of all your previous Ideas and kind of liberating to actually create your own universe and minis.

Actually for the chaos dwarves, I was thinking of a more 80's chaos dwarves than Babylonian style of the 90's. Mini chaos knights basically

• Like 1