Las Vegas Open 2017 Results + Lists

Update: Just learned GW's scoring was different from Best Coast Pairings, so the below were not the official results, which are unknown at the moment.

Top 12 standings and lists for LVO 2017 are attached, according to Best Coast Pairings.

I believe @swarmofseals will be sharing a google doc soon, compiling most of the LVO lists.

Congrats to everyone involved. It looks like it was an excellent event. 

lvo_2017_top_12_1.png

lvo_2017_top_12_2.png

First Place - Andrew Standiferd:

lvo_2017_1st_place_1.png

lvo_2017_1st_place_2.png

Second Place - Brian Cortese:

lvo_2017_2nd_place.png

Third Place - Benjamin Mohlie:

lvo_2017_3rd_place.png

Fourth Place - David Rogers:

lvo_2017_4th_place.png

Fifth Place - Austin Morgan:

lvo_2017_5th_place.png

Sixth Place - Olivier Gandouet:

lvo_2017_6th_place.png

Seventh Place - Joseph Urban:

lvo_2017_7th_place.png

Eighth Place - Mathieu Brochu:

lvo_2017_8th_place.png

Ninth Place - Garrett Mulroney:

lvo_2017_9th_place.png

Tenth Place - Tyler Amoy:

lvo_2017_10th_place_1.png

lvo_2017_10th_place_2.png

Eleventh Place - James Tapia: 

lvo_2017_11th_place.png

Twelfth Place - Bill Souza:

lvo_2017_12th_place.png

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, PJetski said:

I'll be honest... those are some pretty terrible lists. Really seems like a beginners tournament and not a real competitive event.

Why was somebody allowed to bring a battalion that includes a Realmgate?

Glad someone else thought this. These all looked like lists that need some tuning, most of the high placing ones seem based around popular ideas but just weakened. Was there comp or something? I'm not aware of the rules for the event.

As a potential player still deciding on what army to choose, that Iron Jawz force looks easy to build and play with. I think he went the route with the unreliable "wizards" for spreading out his destruction moves just as much as the spell casting.

I like that this game has nuance without the crunch. Clever placement with pile in moves seems really integral for success with most of these lists. I was a competitive X Wing player for a few years and I can see that the close combat lists had to play for positioning over dice. The many small hero(leader) units really speak to policing space as an important part of success.

The ethereal list is pretty suprising. I can't believe there was no mourngul!

I'm surprised to not see more warplock engineers and small range units as a chaos strategy. It seems like MSU is alive and well otherwise.

55 minutes ago, Gauche said:

Glad someone else thought this. These all looked like lists that need some tuning, most of the high placing ones seem based around popular ideas but just weakened. Was there comp or something? I'm not aware of the rules for the event.

I think we're very used to seeing the UK scene. The US (and I guess international since LVO is pretty large) is a different meta, perhaps a bit younger but not specifically worse than what we've been seeing at the Masters and the like. 

The event also had side boards, which potentially discouraged things like BCR, which thrive on smashing TAC armies and force a specific reaction. The lack of Tomb Kings with snakes is a bit odd, but it could come from many of the AoS players being new converts and not longstanding WHFB players with existing armies to draw from.

I think the Realmgate list is tight though. I love my Skyborne Slayers, but seeing something so out of left field is nice. It has a decent amount of utility, two hard hitting units, and then enough tools for mobility to play the board game. 

1 hour ago, PJetski said:

I'll be honest... those are some pretty terrible lists. Really seems like a beginners tournament and not a real competitive event.

These are pretty much my thoughts. The lists aren't very good, but when the whole field is that level it evens out more.

I have to say, these seem to be the type of lists you want to see, not the typical "filth" you see dominating the European/UK meta.  None of them seem egregious, but all seem powerful.  They seem like the type of strong lists you bring to game night, not cutthroat WAAC style lists.  And honestly, I think that's a good thing.  We need more lists like this.

1 hour ago, PJetski said:

It's got matched play points so why not?

Awesome that all four grand alliances are in top 4 and awesome that these are not the same as the lists that we see on the UK scene.

Surely it's a good thing to see a variety of lists winning? Why would we be disappointed to see different lists winning tournaments? Maybe they were great players 

I think these lists are brilliant, not the show-stoppers expected on the UK scene but all seem to have some degree of cohesion and fun to play with & against.

I'd love to have participated, knowing the level of list I'd be happier taking my gutbusters in the US than I am in a UK tournament

19 minutes ago, wayniac said:

I have to say, these seem to be the type of lists you want to see, not the typical "filth" you see dominating the European/UK meta.  None of them seem egregious, but all seem powerful.  They seem like the type of strong lists you bring to game night, not cutthroat WAAC style lists.  And honestly, I think that's a good thing.  We need more lists like this.

If you want more lists like this you need to write a pack that requires it. Not rely on hope of a certain unwritten "nice guy" etiquette. 

I'd rather see lists which are a bit out of the normal filth and making use of the entire range, unfortunately chaos is forever going to be stuck with sticking sayl in every single list which gets boring very fast.

It'll be great if someone could add in an additional weighting system so the most common powerful filth is costed higher so we see less common units picked.

Hopefully ghb2.0 fixes this

I prefer the filth lists as they shine more of a spotlight on things that may need to be changed. Also it feels extremely unlikely that the entire event decided to take softer lists for the fun of it, and as someone who plays in the US I can confirm that the harder stuff is known to us.

Nothing against any of the competitors, the games I watched were played well and had abundant sportsmanship. Well played to all and if everyone is having fun, hey that's why you play at the end of the day.

Archived