New Ironjawz Units - What would you like to see?

mrstimpson38

I was sitting down looking at my Gore-Gruntaz and Orruk Warboss on Boar and it made me think, why isn't there a Megaboss on Gore-Grunta? That led me to think about another suggestion I've heard brought up on The Black Sun podcast, the Ironjawz Heavy Arbalest Brutes. And it got me thinking, what are some other ideas that Ironjawz players may have came up with? Maybe a Ironjawz Grot Team (think Killa Kanz), or something bestial like armoured war-hounds. 

What would you like to see, or what do you think Ironjawz need?

Some bullet points on army-wide changes some people would like to see.

• Mortal Wound output
  • An army wide focus on Rend, forgoing mortal wounds entirely (outside of the Weirdnob)
  • Points reduction on a few units (Gore-Gruntaz specifically)
  • A short range Missile unit
  • Something between a Brute and a Megaboss, in a 3-5 model unit
  • A defensive hero that makes use of the Black Ork Big-Boss model
  • A reworked Ironjawz Mega Boss command ability (more reliable activation)

Orruk Megaboss on Gore-Grunta, or Chariot (mounted heroes in general)

• Focused on improving the army's charges with extra range and mortal wounds

Orruk Heavy Arbalest Brute, or Thrown Weapons

• A Short-Medium ranged, single shot Brute that does a mortal wound on a hit roll of a 6 with D3 damage. Has the same weapons as a normal Brute squad in Melee, but doesn't get a Claw or Gore-Choppa.

Grot Demolition Team

• A very heavily armoured ball that has frenzied Grots inside. Gore-Gruntaz use them in their sport "Grot Ball". Can destroy scenery (with a mechanic similar to the Gore-Gruntaz charge ability), has a very good armour save (3+), a good move (8+), and reduces the Bravery of all enemies within so many inches.

Ironjawz Battlewagon

• Something that's mobile and has some Warchanters and/or Weirdnobs on it.

Baby Maw-Crushers / Armoured Beasts (maybe even with Ardboyz on them)

• Fast moving unit that specializes in something. Maybe a hammer-like unit opposed to the Gore-Grunta anvil?

Orruk Grot Tosser

• A monster Brute that's too dumb to be a Megaboss, but strong enough to toss armoured Grots into melee. Similar to a war-machine in use.

Grot Armoured Devision

• The Grots that tossed by the Orruk Grot Tosser. Heavily armoured in bladed armour, these Grots work themselves into a frenzy to outdo their larger Ironjawz brothers. Maybe they can be used as the Grot Tosser ammo, or you could hide a number of these into your units, much like Fanatics, and they can charge into oncoming units.

Larger Brute

• Something with more rend and a bonus to bravery for units around him/them. Something that can go against big nasties, but smaller than a Maw-Crusher.

Ironjawz Gargants

• To crush the little 'uns. Nuff said.

Tougher Brute Hero

• Possibly using the old Black Ork Big-Boss model. Make him a very tanky hero that gives us a chance to get models back after failed battleshock tests.

Well there are some to get the Grot Ball rolling. Add your thoughts on the ones I listed, and ones of your own devising and I'll add them to the master list above. And please remember, this list is just for fun. As long as you've put some thought into it, I think everyone would love to hear your ideas!

edit: This list is getting kind of long, and there are a lot of pieces of input from sources other than myself. I'm going to save myself the headache of listing everyone that contributed to this list and urge you to read the whole list to see who mentioned what, and to see some of these suggestions in a little more detail. Thank you everyone for your input so far.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah the heavy crossbow Brutes and a Gore grunta Megaboss would be great, I'd rather not see Grots in Ironjaws though.

I'd like a Gore Grunta Chariot with a spear chukka/Megaboss on Chariot dual kit.  If we don't see these sort of things added to Ironjaws then I'll probably add them to my list of things to build/convert.

Just adding a variant of the Spear Chukkas to the Ironjawz would be great! Maybe stick some armour plates on the Grots and a Brute as a Bully. Played with this idea of having a "to hit and to wound" table. 1 - Miss, 2 - D3 Mortal Wounds nearest friendly unit (makes it Orcy), 3-4- D3 Mortal Wounds, 5- D6 Mortal wounds & 6- D6 Mortal Wounds to chosen unit, and then D3 to a unit directly behind it. 

Silly but fun!

Updated with a bunch of units from the other suggestion thread.

And I'm pushing for Ironjawz Grots. Comically armoured Grots that rip and tear better than any other Grot to date? Ironjawz have already shown that they're acceptant of the smaller races (Ardboyz) so long as they pull their weight. And deathball Grots could do just that if given a Grot Ball or bladed armour.

I also really like the idea of the Heavy Crossbow/Arbalest Brutes. Mainly because it would look cool, but having some very short ranged Dakka that could also be our (limited) source of mortal wounds sounds like a great addition to our army.

From the looks of it, the most common suggestion for Ironjawz is a little bit of mortal wounds output, a small range missile unit, or something that our heroes can ride on. All would be a great addition to the Ironjawz army, but I think the thing that all of us can agree on is we need some stompy allegiance abilities/artefacts to bring us more in line competitively with other factions. But whatever they are, they'll need to be pretty darn good to get us to give up the extra movement and killing power we get from Ravager and Battle Brew. Seeing as Stormcast are still (seriously, I'm happy for the SC players) getting new units and an updated Battletome, I'm hopeful that they'll come back to Ironjawz and give them the same treatment when they release our updated Battletome sometime in the next couple years (hopefully sooner!).

I believe Ironjaws need 2 née units. Something ranged, or at the very least make Ard Boys battleline so I can use another ranged unit. Second something thst can generate mortal wounds.

To improve the faction as a whole I think Gore Grunta's need to be improved or have a points reduction.
It would be nice if the Warboss' ability was not randomly generated but a bubble.
The shaman need a points reduction to make him more viable.
Finally a few more units to flesh out the faction as armies can be quite repetitive because of the lack of variety in units.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I would also like to see the Megaboss's command ability changed into something more reliable. As it stands, it's hard to justify making him the general because that ability is kind of crap, imo.

edit: I guess I shouldn't call it crap, because it's good when it goes off, but I don't like that there's a chance for it to do nothing. All it needs is a better activation.

Hey,

Yeh you've pretty much covered off all my ideas here!! The list looks good. I really really hope we do get some new releases eventually. Whilst what we have is certainly a lot of fun, I just worry about longevity. Only so much we can do with what we currently have :S.

I actually really like the idea of the Grots @mrstimpson38. I was looking to add some Grots to my army (when branching it out into generic Destruction), but was keen to keep the theme strong, so did look into the possibility of picking up some armoured goblin models to use for this purpose...however I couldn't find anything on the market that was even close to the standard of the Ironjawz range.

Apart from the point changes that are a necessity if they are not going to amend current scrolls (give gorepigs rend!) then we need a couple of simple things, Mortal wounds or more rend and/or a chance to increase bravery or bubble immunity to battle shock. The ranged thing is a nice to have but every faction needs an Achilles heel ours is currently no range and battleshock. Look at Khorne in its pure form there is 1 ranged unit so they are like us pure combat focused (we have one wizard) but they have the Bloodsecrator to mitigate the battleshock (and higher bravery) so only one weakness really if played well or redundancy built into their lists. 

I really like to try and be balanced in my desires for new stuff we don't want to break the game so I'd like to see some things like these maybe if Gork shines his eye upon us...... 

note I'm actually in favour of not giving us mortal wounds output let our damage be with lots of attacks with good -1 or better -2 rend as I gives us our own thing! 

Da Big un's 

4/5 wound brutes up to more ogor/troll size with 2 handers that all have rend -2 damage 2 & bravery 8. Then any Ironjawz unit that is within 6 or 8" of these get +2 bravery.  This would give us a unit that can deal with things that require mortal wounds like archaon or Treelord ancients but crucially not things that ignore rend. That's where lots of attacks come in and with bravery 8 brutes can be bigger and hit more on mournguls etc... I gives the army a line breaker focus point but also paints a big red target for the enemy so we still have battleshock to worry about but at least can formulate strategies to offset it a bit (I'd also expect these guys to be expensive say 220 or 240 points but they would fit the rules and also aesthetic of Ironjawz really well) 

Da fast un's 

Ardboyz on small Wyverns, 2 or 3 wounds fast (12" move) flyers 3d6 charge more rend or D3 damage on the charge but pretty fragile maybe even hurt themselves if they roll a triple on the charge as the silly areboyz clinging on for their lives trying to impress Da boyz who all know that the bestest way to fight is with feet planted in the earth.

Da Stoopid un's 

just make Gargants have the ironjawz keyword job done! 

Ed Kracker 

A revamped Black orc big boss, 80-120 points,  brute sized with a shield and good save 3+ rerolling 1s normal hero output 4a 3/3/-1/1 but with one of these already existing mechanics 

if any Ironjawz flee within 10" 4 or 5+ they get back in line 

or

half the number of models that flee in 10" etc...

@Sangfroid love those ideas. Similarly think the revamped big boss is vital! Maybe have his ability be "units within 10" who fail battle shock take mortal wounds equal to the amount they failed battleshock by". Wasn't there something similar in 8th? 

Maybe giving the Weirdnob two spells rather than one and keeping his points cost. That would make Foot fun to cast. 

2 hours ago, Sangfroid said:

note I'm actually in favour of not giving us mortal wounds output let our damage be with lots of attacks with good -1 or better -2 rend as I gives us our own thing!

Totally agree with this. It just fits!

2 hours ago, Sangfroid said:

Da Big un's 

4/5 wound brutes up to more ogor/troll size with 2 handers that all have rend -2 damage 2 & bravery 8. Then any Ironjawz unit that is within 6 or 8" of these get +2 bravery.  This would give us a unit that can deal with things that require mortal wounds like archaon or Treelord ancients but crucially not things that ignore rend. That's where lots of attacks come in and with bravery 8 brutes can be bigger and hit more on mournguls etc... I gives the army a line breaker focus point but also paints a big red target for the enemy so we still have battleshock to worry about but at least can formulate strategies to offset it a bit (I'd also expect these guys to be expensive say 220 or 240 points but they would fit the rules and also aesthetic of Ironjawz really well)

This is also a good one. My only issue is more a fluff than rules one. Why would elite troops inspire more bravery yet a Megaboss does not?.....

I'd much rather the Megaboss Waaagh ability were to also increase bravery untill next round.

Just my opinion but this role is what I believe Troggoth should have. But they'd need new models and the ability to take Ironjawz keyword.

Overl all I do like your suggestion though.

3 hours ago, Sangfroid said:

Da fast un's 

Ardboyz on small Wyverns, 2 or 3 wounds fast (12" move) flyers 3d6 charge more rend or D3 damage on the charge but pretty fragile maybe even hurt themselves if they roll a triple on the charge as the silly areboyz clinging on for their lives trying to impress Da boyz who all know that the bestest way to fight is with feet planted in the earth.

This sounds like what new squig hoppers should be minus the flying.

Da Stoopid un's 

just make Gargants have the ironjawz keyword job done!

Yes please!!!!!!! Troggoth too!!!!

A revamped Black orc big boss, 80-120 points,  brute sized with a shield and good save 3+ rerolling 1s normal hero output 4a 3/3/-1/1 but with one of these already existing mechanics 

if any Ironjawz flee within 10" 4 or 5+ they get back in line 

or

half the number of models that flee in 10" etc...

I'd personally prefer a 2nd version of a Megaboss like this. More tank loadout.

I think GW kinda messed up putting ardboyz in with the jawz and should of just gone all or nothing with the new faction when designing.

I don't agree about no range for Ironjawz but I do see your reasoning. I also view Ironjawz more akin to Uruk Hai from lotr than just mindless "hulk smash all the time, every day,  all day" classic view.

That ay be GW intent with them but I hope not.

Gruntas definitely need some rend. It's almost like it's an oversight that they just forgot to put in. Heh.

I like that everything is 180 pts and rather than see points change I'd rather see units made worth the current points.

What are some things that are in the lore / fluff / novels that do not have models? I know of the skyships and weirdnob towers but anything else?

For a ranged unit I reckon some kind of boulder/logging throwing orruks would work best. Basically some Ironjaw brutes who just want to prove how hard they are by throwing heavy things really far. Seems like a much more fluffy than crossbows (though they would also be cool).

Other than that... another way of speeding up the Ironjawz without using the Destruction Allegiance/ Ironfist formation could work. A couple of extra heroes (Ardboy boss sounds good, as does a mounted Megaboss) and the weirdnob construction others have mentioned.

I've been trying to think of a fluffy ranged weapon that Ironjawz could use. Throwing spears/javelins seems too low tech (they're not Bonesplittas), and bows/crossbows seems too fiddly for a good fight. I would initially say cannons, but the Ogors have that already.

Relevation: give them a throwing weapon that still looks, and is, dead killy.

Give Ironjawz throwing glaives (think Moonglaives from Warcraft). Made out of jagged pig iron, effective at short range, simple enough to make, still fun to throw at a unit or two. Further stat it so it can bounce. Thinking stat line could look like this: 1a 12" 4/3/-1/1, On a Hit 6+, roll a second wound die as the blade bounces off some unfortunate skull toward it's nearest companion (or bites deeper into something large).

Thanks everyone for your feedback so far! I've updated the list with everyone's suggestions. I generalized some of them to keep the list clean, and urged readers to read the whole thread to see everyone's suggestions in more detail. I also updated it with a bullet point on some general things Ironjawz players would like to see updated/improved. Maybe someone over at GW will give it a glance before we get our updated Battletome (it's going to happen... right?).

Great suggestions! Let's keep them coming!

@Chris Tomlin

I've tried looking as well (convertable grots) and haven't found anything that I liked. I have a box of Gitmobs, but haven't came up with any conversion ideas worth trying out yet. I think that the Ogre's Grots may be a little easier to convert because of their wider stance, but I don't have any to try anything out with. I could see something really comical where you would take a Grot head and put it onto the torso of a Blood Warrior, then use the Grot arms and legs and attach them to the torso to give it a look like a child in their daddy's clothes, but I'd like something a little less comical and more in line with the Ironjawz look.

On 2/6/2017 at 9:12 AM, Soulsmith said:

I would love a unit of fliers. They would be great, and nice to see what happened to wyverns too. Hey, if SC can have two units of mounted cavalry...

Would love to see Ironjawz flyers. Mawkrushas by themselves, wyverns. Wyverns could have short or medium range shooty attacks. Maybe give gore-gruntas a ranged attack option, or secondary such as crude bolas. 

15 minutes ago, Kaptan said:

Would love to see Ironjawz flyers. Mawkrushas by themselves, wyverns. Wyverns could have short or medium range shooty attacks. Maybe give gore-gruntas a ranged attack option, or secondary such as crude bolas. 

Bolas would be an awesome idea for them.

On 2/7/2017 at 3:22 PM, Kaptan said:

A Forge World "Mama Mawkrusha" perhaps?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived