Sylvaneth 1500pt tournament list

Shorewood

I'm going to be participating in my first AoS tournament at the end of the month and I was wondering if any of you wonderful people would critique the list I intend to bring.

Gnarlroot 80

Household 20

Tree Lord Ancient ( Artifact: Briarsheath Command Trait: Gift of Ghyran) 300                                                                                                                                   

Branchwych (Artifact: Ranu's Lamentiri) 100

Tree Revenants x5 100

Drycha 280

Dryads x20 240

Kurnoth Hunters (Greatbows) x3 180

Kurnoth Hunters (Greatbows) x3 180

Total 1480

Thank You

Well it's depending on your TO..but I'm used to having 3 battleline units in 1500 points. (solved by splitting the dryads).

I play a similar list but with a branchwych and 3 treekin instead of the last 3 hunters (I don't have them). Sometimes I like having them, sometimes I wish I had these Hunters. I do love having the circlet on a wych AND having an acorn for a guaranteed forest next to an objective. 

I give my general Oaken Armor and Gnarled warrior. 2+ save reroll 1's is quite an upgrade over 3+ etc. Yes I know you can cast mystic shield ... but in my last game half my spells where unbound.

Which spells where you planning on taking (without oakenarmor I'd get Regrowth on the Ancient for sure (and even WITH oaken armor I really like it).

I sent an email to the tournament guy for clarification on whether we are using vanguard or battle-host requirements.  Hopefully that'll clear things up in that regaurd.

For the spells, I intend to give my branchwych and Drachya regrowth as the branchwych will hang back in range of the ancient and the hunters while Drycha might be too far ahead so giving her that spell gives me redundancy on a critical spell and better coverage on it.   For my Ancient I plan on giving him Verdant blessing because it can be placed at 1" of units/terrain where the ancients ability has to be outside 3" of any other models.  This not only gives me a second way to place more wildwoods incase I wiff a roll, the spell also lets me toss a woods down and immediately travel through it if I need to get out of dodge.  Also since I can place it at 1" away from an enemy I can use the ancient's spell "awakening the wood" spell to immediately deal all enemy units within 3" of it d3 mortal wounds. 

Ideally I have mystic shield on the ancient from the branchwych who is outside of unbinding range which would give my ancient a 2+ armor save and a -1 to hit him (briarsheath).  I personally prefer the briarsheath over oaken armor because there are a lot of mortal wound sources that need to hit or when they hit on a 6 type of thing and the briarsheath protects against those while Oakenarmor does not. 

5 hours ago, Aezeal said:

Yeah I must admit that when I (not knowing his stats) put my TLA against belakor I'd have prefered briarsheath too. (bastard has -2 rend)

If you want to use the Oaken Armor with the ignore -1 rend ability, and you are going to end up fighting someone with a nasty rend then I think it would be best to toss mystic shield on the TLA.  giving him an theoretical 1+ armor save so after the -2 rend you still save on a 3+ at least.  

Yeah... I ended up trying that.. but Belakor can unbind too... which is also why I don't like relying on it in general.

It was worse btw. I started to fight him in cover.. and him casting shield on himself.. so 2+ no rend. I didn't stand a chance. Had to retreat after 2 rounds of combat so I could fight him out of cover on a 3+ (he succeeded his shield much more than I ...)

Althought I still haven't gotten an answer from the tournaments director, Looking at the General's Handbook it does say "up too" for refering to the points values for the game types, so I think I'd have to have 3 battleline.... which SUCKS.  Sylvaneth only have 1 battleline really worth their points and that is Dryads which you basically have to take in groups of 20.  (240 for a battleline is steep) So If I do end up needing a third... even if I drop a hunter I couldn't pick up more dryads, so more Tree-Revenants it is then....

Do I drop Drycha and pick up another squad of hunters and some Tree-Revenants?  Would give me more hunters but I really like Drycha she can get some serious work done and gives me more magic coverage.  Any advice?  

I know.. I run 2x10 dryads and 1x 5 revs in my 1500 list too. I'd have to delete a wych and 3 treekin in my list to get 10 more dryads but that would leave me with 80 unused points. I think drycha with squirmlings brings very good horde control, decent magic and decent regular melee and I think she's undercosted so I'd not drop her myself.

Taking Dryads in groups of ten.... thats pretty rough especially compared to other battleline choices like the SE ones.  for 100pts of liberators they can get 10 wounds at a 4+ save (probably re-roll ones) which is pretty durable for its points.  But if you only have 10 dryads thats 10 wounds with a 5+ save with comparable punching power but its 120 points so a 20% increase in cost.... thats rough.  

22 hours ago, Shorewood said:

Taking Dryads in groups of ten.... thats pretty rough especially compared to other battleline choices like the SE ones.  for 100pts of liberators they can get 10 wounds at a 4+ save (probably re-roll ones) which is pretty durable for its points.  But if you only have 10 dryads thats 10 wounds with a 5+ save with comparable punching power but its 120 points so a 20% increase in cost.... thats rough.  

They have some buffs though +1 to hit, -1 to hit against though all of those conditional. 2 attacks isn't bad either.. it's 20 attacks for 120 points.. though ofc.. not prime rolls.

They have some buffs though +1 to hit, -1 to hit against though all of those conditional. 2 attacks isn't bad either.. it's 20 attacks for 120 points.. though ofc.. not prime rolls.

Liberators 100pts beats dryads 120pts in most situations. (dryads need to be in wyldwood With TLA buffs to win statistically) this is assuming you give the liberator prime in a 5 man group a granhammer/blade, and the other 4 have hammer/blade & shield, libs will do more damage than 10 dryads. (this is giving dryads +1hit to their own combat phase, but not 1upsave for unit size obviously)
Granted most of this is due to lib prime getting 3 attacks with that gran weapon.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Liberators 100pts beats dryads 120pts in most situations. (dryads need to be in wyldwood With TLA buffs to win statistically) this is assuming you give the liberator prime in a 5 man group a granhammer/blade, and the other 4 have hammer/blade & shield, libs will do more damage than 10 dryads. (this is giving dryads +1hit to their own combat phase, but not 1upsave for unit size obviously)
Granted most of this is due to lib prime getting 3 attacks with that gran weapon.

Also I am assuming libs have shield and dryads have TLA leader buf. As this gives them equal reroll saves of 1. But dryads could lose this buff, while libs can't (or could trade it for paired weapons, rerolling hits, which could be better if they are getting hit debuffed)

I'm a complete beginner when it comes to building an AoS list and have a couple of extra questions related to the OP question. Sorry for the piggyback! In the Sylvaneth book, it says that dryads units are 5 models or more, but in the generals book, it says a unit is 10 models or more. Which one has been ruled as correct? Also, are spite revenants ever considered to be battleline as they have similar abilities to tree revenants. Is it a definite that the tree revenants can only be battleline if they are part of a warscroll? Sorry that was three questions in the end ??

So.. if forced to use 3 battle line... I'm partial to option B, as I like DH, but am not sure she is worth 5Trevs & 2Bwych, (due to the loss of 20pts at 1480) AND having to split the dryads.

A: Keep DH, split Dryads.

Con; Tree lord and DH will have to take most hits... as your battle line is all chaff. Dryads loose 1up save, and are in smaller units.

Pro; DH is fun and can do MW.

Leaders
Drycha Hamadreth (280)
Treelord Ancient (300)
Branchwych (100)
Battleline
10 x Dryads (120)
10 x Dryads (120)
5 x Tree-Revenants (100)
Units
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (180)
Battalions
Gnarlroot Wargrove (80)
Household (20)
Total: 1480/1500, 82 wounds

B:

Pro; Dryads have +1save buff, and can be targeted as 1 unit for spells/CA.

Extra unit of Trevs could hold objective or strike war machine/leader (esp if add +5units),

More wounds (esp with treekin).

Option to bring a 4th caster.

Con; No more DH, so less MW output.

Leaders
Treelord Ancient (300)
Branchwych (100)
Branchwych (100)
Battleline
20 x Dryads (240)
5 x Tree-Revenants (100)
5 x Tree-Revenants (100)*or10
Units
Battalions
Gnarlroot Wargrove (80)
Household (20)
Total: 1400/1500 (*use 100pt on another 1Wych,+5TRevs*, or 3Treekin) 87-94 wounds

*Double down on Trevs, get a 4th caster to help with heal and MW, or even more wounds with treekin. 

23 minutes ago, Sehanine said:

I'm a complete beginner when it comes to building an AoS list and have a couple of extra questions related to the OP question. Sorry for the piggyback! In the Sylvaneth book, it says that dryads units are 5 models or more, but in the generals book, it says a unit is 10 models or more. Which one has been ruled as correct? Also, are spite revenants ever considered to be battleline as they have similar abilities to tree revenants. Is it a definite that the tree revenants can only be battleline if they are part of a warscroll? Sorry that was three questions in the end ??

1. Dryads only have points for 10 models, so units of 10 in matched play (well you have to pay for 10 if you bring less), but for non-matched 5 is OK.

2.  I don't know of any rule that allows Spite revs as Battle line.

3. Tree revs can only be battle line if your army has Sylvaneth allegiance. (so no, they don't HAVE to be in a wargrove, i think is what you meant to ask)

I've attached a fancy version of my original list (SylvanethIdealList.pdf), it needs an additional battleline unit, so right off the back I have a few variants that each would solve my rather annoying problem.

SylvanethVarient1 is one is nearly identical except that it swaps out both the gnarlroot and the Household for an additional unit of Tree Revenants, I get to keep Drycha but loose the sweetness which is the gnarlroot battalion the extra spells and the verdurous Harmony spell.  

SylvanethVarient2 Keeps Drycha and the gnarlroot battalion but drops a unit Kurnoth Hunters (loosing half of my heavy ranged support) but picks up 5 tree revenants and a second Branchwych giving me more magic which is always helpful.

SylvanethVarient3 Goes in a different direction completely abandoning the Gnarlroot format in favor of a smack in the face style list.  With a Spirit of Durthu Standing next to Drycha flanked by 3 squads of 5 Tree Revenants to be more of a light screen than anything else.  Supported by a Branchwych and 2 Kurnoth hunters the idea will be to just ram the Bemoths down the opponents throat.  This does leave me 60pts under and my model count terribly small. 

SylvanethVarient4 does what I dread to do.  It drops Drycha.  Keeping to the original list except that it replaces her with 5 tree revenants and a unit of Kurnoth Hunters.  I loose out on her amazing ability to dish out Mortal Wounds but I keep the double spellcasting and pick up some more long ranged support.

I'm just throwing these ideas out there and would appreciate any feedback.  Thank you

SylvanethIdealList.pdf

SylvanethVarient1.pdf

SylvanethVarient2.pdf

SylvanethVarient3.pdf

SylvanethVarient4.pdf

5 hours ago, Aezeal said:

That is severely unfair to people bringing 3 battleline units. But nice for you.

It turns out he actually hadn't thought about the requirements until I brought it up so everyone is basically free to use vanguard/battlehost at their leisure.  an extra battleine for more artillary or leaders and such.   

Archived