Anyone else intimidated b Tzaangors painting-wise?

MiniJunkie

I just got my 30 assembled and started painting the first five. I immediately decided instead of doing blue armor and gold trim to just keep most of the armor parts gold because it would take forever to edge the raised areas on the plates. Still painting the shield, the "waistband," and helmet recesses blue and that seems to be enough to tie the group together.

2 hours ago, Honcho said:

I just got my 30 assembled and started painting the first five. I immediately decided instead of doing blue armor and gold trim to just keep most of the armor parts gold because it would take forever to edge the raised areas on the plates. Still painting the shield, the "waistband," and helmet recesses blue and that seems to be enough to tie the group together.

ah cool, that's a very good suggestion. Any photos?

My lessson learnt from painting so many Chaos Space Marines over the last couple of years is that it's easier and quicker to paint the armour the colour of the trim, then use an ink, wash or glaze to colour the panels inside. The trim then usually needs a quick touch up at best.

The new gemstone technical paints, along with the Forgeworld Airbrush clear colours both work a treat (and yes, you can safely paint the Air paints on using a brush)

I definitely am.  I went deep on this release but I'm terrified of actually trying to paint them.  Not only that, but I can't decide on a scheme either.  The store ones look so good (Cult of Transient), but I like to do things at least a little differently so I"m looking at the Guild of Summoners (gold armour), Contortiad (white armour) or Pandemonious (silver armour).

The skin tones can fortunately vary but I'd like to have that unified look. 

That smooth blending or whatever it is has me shakin' in my lil' clawhooves.

1 hour ago, Lucio said:

My lessson learnt from painting so many Chaos Space Marines over the last couple of years is that it's easier and quicker to paint the armour the colour of the trim, then use an ink, wash or glaze to colour the panels inside. The trim then usually needs a quick touch up at best.

The new gemstone technical paints, along with the Forgeworld Airbrush clear colours both work a treat (and yes, you can safely paint the Air paints on using a brush)

This - you can see it demonstrated here:

Though you don't want to spray Tzaangors gold you can still hit all the plates with gold and finish up from there.

2 hours ago, Lucio said:

That's actually the technique I use (though I haven't tried it with gemstone paints) only using just thinned paint for the panels. Even with this time-saving tip, doing all the trim on 30 models is not in the cards for me. 

They're time consuming and benefit from sub-assemblies, is my experience. If you plan for them to take a chunk of time longer than almost any other unit, they're not that bad. But if you want to paint them as fast as you could do horrors or acolytes, then yeah, it's hard.

A decent approach is to do all of the gold before you do anything else. Shade it but don't highlight it, then paint the model as you otherwise might have done: skin, bone, beaks, feathers, cloth, armour panels, in that order. Then fix any problems with the gold trim and highlight it last. It's a lot less frustrating to do the gold if there's no danger of slipping and ruining something you've already finished.

They are pretty intricate for a battleline unit, particular one that is best as a horde. So yeah, they will propably be among the last unit I will paint, even though the Silver Tower ones inspired me to pick up Tzeentch in the first place, so I have only myself to blame.

I am converting some armor plates into Shaped plating without trim, I suspect I will make that time back in painting, with fewer trims to do. But I have mocked up a copper and silver scheme I am dead set on realising, so there is no completely cheating my way out of doing those trims.

The level of detail GW minis have these days is a real double-edged sword. They look amazing, but by god they're a nightmare for the average painter. I honestly wouldn't complain if they dialed back the detail on the battleline units and kept the bling for the big set piece models.

I've been staring down the barrel of a horde of Blood Warriors for months, which have a similar level of detail to Tzaangors. Hoping I'll get them done some time this side of 2018. In retrospect I wish I'd planned out my paint scheme and method more carefully beforehand, coming up with something easily repeatable that has a good balance between quality and time - this is the approach I'll be taking with my next army.

Archived