2017 Ironjawz blog

Mike. c

Hi guys, after playing a shooty wanderers list for a while decided to switch it up and go for combat ironjawz this year. 

Not played too many games (non with ironjawz yet) but looking to get to a few tournaments this year and hopefully be somewhat competative. Decided to use this as a place to track my progress. With that in mind below is the list I am working towards.

140- megaboss, battle brew

140- megaboss, battle brew

80- warchanter 

120- shaman

360- ten brutes 

540- fifteen brutes

180- ten ard boys

180- ten ard boys

60- iron fist

Questions are do I finish the list with 10 more ard boys or 3 gore gruntas? Bringing the total to 1980. Also ravager or bellowing tyrant on the general? Thoughts? 

Pictures show my progress, just 20 brutes finished so far; along with the wanderers army I had been using. 

IMG-20170130-WA0012.jpgIMG-20170130-WA0013.jpgIMG-20161213-WA0008.jpgIMG-20170130-WA0011.jpg

Jaws looking good fella but remove that wanders filth from this sub forum ?

Ive found with double Megaboss so only one Warchanter is important but then last night I tried ravager again and it was also just as important! I'm starting to believe that both are equally as good as each other it's a shame tournies seem to be forcing a single pick at list submission I'd rather see it as a tactical choice each game that way all the abilities would be used (well maybe 3 of them :-)

Ye, list is looking really good. You will have fun with Ironjawz for sure. 

When you ask gruntas or ardboys, I'd go with the gruntas. They probably aren't as good as 10 ardboys, but they as variety to the at and are gorgeous models. 

You have done such a good job on your brutes, it would be a shame to not add some piggies! 

Thanks for the positive comments guys. Your encouragement led to me getting these two finished today.IMG-20170201-WA0018.jpg.25630d1f4efea8c1bb2f7ca5cf249dae.jpgIMG_b5khr6.jpg.ed0d76a460394eda2c67d2e9d7c24129.jpgThat brings the painted pile to 1000 points, so hopefully be able to start getting some games in now. Will report back when I do.

IMG_-me8knq.jpg.8ed66a2d3f8a9cb4f4403861e3087f4c.jpgIMG_-cqt79h.jpg.d8ab439eb9e0167d2573cb3e1568e4e7.jpg

55 minutes ago, mrstimpson38 said:

I'd split them and take the formation. At least you'll be getting another Boss Claw out of the deal and keeping the extra movement.

Definitely. Love the army, it looks great. I feel like the bases could do with other rocks so it doesn't look like they're surfing on snow, or some snow fall on the rocks they're on.

• 2 weeks later...

I get what you mean, supposed to be snow/ ice. Don't think there is much room on most of of bases for much more; might try adding some snowy tufts at some point.  

Still havnt managed to get any games in but have continued with the painting. IMG-20170208-WA0010.jpg.a070125a46251e15a793312e3943fb88.jpgIMG-20170214-WA0009.jpg.2f040d72629a1653268182d5fa88edad.jpgIMG-20170215-WA0020.jpg.3704b7069818e16c49b8c097017d9ac5.jpg

Hey @Mike. c,

Your army is look great, I love the colour scheme and basing...however, I have one pro tip for you; black those rims! Honestly it'll really finish the models off. Just try one model and see what you think. Can always change it back if you do prefer your blue. I think you'll be happy with the results though :D 

List wise, you've got some nice stuff going on there. Always amazes me how much we get in non Cabbage lists! Have you listened to the podcasts I did with @Sangfroid? You may find them interesting as we discuss similar elements.

As Kieran mentioned, there is definitely no clear cut answer between Ravager and Bellowing Tyrant. I actually tend to veer towards Ravager, that extra move is tasty...but then it's hard to overlook the +1!! Argghh!!

Looking forward to hearing how you get on in your games. Also kudos for knocking up this blog, hopefully you can keep it up over the year, disappointing in myself for letting mine fall by the wayside.

One last thing; where abouts are you based?

Chris

@Chris Tomlin

Thanks for the compliments. Yeah Iam a fan of the show, found the Ironjawz discussion really helpful. Can't wait to get a game in with them.

In regards to the bases, you're not the first to suggest the black rims. Will definitely have to give it a go. 

I am based up in Leeds; but hoping to get a bit further afield to a few tournaments later in the year. 

Keep up the good work with the awesome podcast, gets me through a lot of painting. 

Hi @Mike. c,

Ah that's cool, thanks for listening and glad you found them helpful.

I really do think it'd be worth your time to black rim one model/unit just to test it out. IMO it'd finish the models off nicely. Down to personal preference though I guess and if you like the blue, more power to you!

There's an absolute plethora of tournaments going on in the UK this year, so I'm sure you'll be able to find something suitable if you so desire. Hopefully I'll get to see your boyz on the table at some point!

Keep up the blog...you're actually inspiring me to try and kick-start mine again!

So I had my first game with the ironjawz on Friday.  I won't give an in-depth battle report as if iam honest I don't remember the details. I also didn't take any photos as the game was quite proxyrific and the armies not fully painted. However thought I would give a brief overview and my initial thoughts on the army.

I played my friend Daz and his tzeentch list at 2000 points. He had a few units of horrors, a big unit of sky fires, a unit of burning chariots, a combat lord of change and 3 or 4 of the smaller hero's. I took 2 megaboss, 2 units of 10 brutes, a warchanter, shaman, a unit of ard boys and 3x 3 gore gruntas. we played gift from the heavens with my objective coming in on my left and Daz's in his centre. In short my right flank managed to swing around and clear his army off his objective while a megaboss and the ard boys held mine. I was lucky in that turn 1 I went second depriving my opponent of a turn of shooting/ magic and manged to take out his chariots turn 1. His lord of change nearly wiped out a unit of brutes but got saved by the second unit charging in. The sky fires were horrible and survived right up untill turn 5. They did a lot of damage to most of my units and even took out the ard boys in combat, those discs of tzeentch are filthy. They eventually went down to a foot of gork and a buffed up megaboss. In the end I won the game but only had 1 megaboss, shaman, warchanter and I think 2 brutes left. My opponent had just the 1 character i think. Great fun and we both learnt a lot about our armies (this was his first time using tzeentch).

My overall thoughts on the army was that brutes are awesome. I knew they could move fast, but just how fast surprised me (ravager, iron fist formation, destruction trait). Their damage output is great, however I much prefered the unit with 2inch reach. That really helped out when a unit of horrors tagged one end of them and stopped them moving except to pile in.

I loved how fast the gore gruntas could move however besides that I was a bit disappointed with them. They did next to no damage and didn't seem especially tanky. 

The megaboss's were OK but didn't really get a chance to test them much. One got taken out early on while the other hung back on my objective till turn 5, will need to see what they can do next time.  

The shaman didn't help massively as mystic shield didn't help against all the mortal wounds tzeentch can do. However getting foot of gork off on my first attempt and stomping 3 times in the final turn kinda made up for it. 

The warchanter is a must for big units of brutes with 2inch reach weapons. 

The ard boys also disappointed me, they didn't do much damage and also got taken out fairly quickly by the sky fires. I would take them again  just to add numbers to the army but wouldn't count on them to do any heavy lifting.

The hero phase movement is awesome and really adds some tactical options to the army. I also love how it allowed me to move a character in range of a unit so that the unit could then benefit from extra movement. 

Overall I really enjoyed playing with the ironjawz, a lot more fun than my wanderers. I also think I will be quite happy with the list iam aiming for (see first post), I just used this list/ all the gore gruntas as they are what I had built. 

Can't wait to play with them again and hopefully give you a proper battle report rather than just my random ramblings and generic thoughts. But until then I better get back to the painting table.

Hey,

Thanks for taking the time with the write up @Mike. c and congrats on the win. I haven't heard much by way of first hand reports on the Ironjawz vs Tzeentch match up, so it was interesting to read regardless of it being an experimental game. I'm hopeful of being able to get a game in vs them myself soon, it'd doubly interesting for me given that I also have a Tzeentch army.

As a word of warning, be careful of the Skyfires. Obviously their shooting is powerful, but they aren't as frail in combat as people expect. The combat rerolls are more relevant that the Englightened's as they trigger if they have not been attacked, so they can charge in and get rerolls on those nasty disc attacks. I suspect good Tzeentch players will use this sparingly to mop up depleted units. Throwing them straight into the fray is clearly foolish though haha.

I think you're on the right path as a lot of your thoughts and findings are similar to many that I (and indeed other posters here) experienced early doors. Keep at it and have fun.

Had my second game with the Ironjawz this weekend. It was a friendly game using 1500 points on a 4x4 mat. The mission was the old/ generals handbook version of escalation. My opponent Richard used his Seraphon.
Seraphon: Slann, skink priest, scarvet on carnosaur, saurus hero on foot,2x5 saurus guard, 2x5 chameleon skinks, troglodon and a 120 point summoning pool. 
Ironjawz: 2 megaboss, war chanter, 2x10 brutes, 10 ard boys, 3gore gruntas and the ironist formation.

The terrain set up was interesting as one objective was in deadly terrain and another within reach of a mysterious piece of terrain. Only the centre objective was relatively clear. The other noticeable terrain features were the realm gates positioned at each side of the board (we let Richards son set up the terrain).20170225_104759.jpg.a84870a3ad37274f6a77e702de90e27e.jpg

My opponent finished deploying first and had his Slann hidden behind his two units of saurus guard near the realm gate in his deployment zone, right next to a board edge. 
He gave me first turn, I think wanting to see what I would do, expecting me just to move towards the objectives ready to score turn two. With the extra hero phase movement and some good roles I managed to get a unit of gore gruntas on to one objective and a unit of ten brutes onto the centre objective. My other ten brutes went through the realm gate losing one model then charging into the saurus guard. I wiped out the unit of five however due to been so near to the board edge and this unit having the two hand weapons the brutes were unable to reach the second unit of five with more than 1 brute or hit the Slann. My opponent in his turn retreated away and summoned back the 5 models I had just killed. 

Turn two I again went first and brought on a unit of ard boys and 2 megaboss. My opponent chose his saurus hero, troglodon and a unit of chameleon skinks. The ard boys and a megaboss came on near the unclaimed objective outside of the deadly terrain it was in. The other megaboss came on centrally and used his destruction move to teleport though the realm gate. The turn was then uneventful for me as I forgot to move the megaboss who then failed his charge which also then blocked the brutes from getting a charge off. I held all three objectives and scored 3 points. My opponent buffed a unit of saurus guard who charged my brutes (this turned into a grind for most of the game). The troglodon shot and charged the megaboss as did the second saurus guard unit. The chameleon skinks popped up in the deadly terrain near my ard boys/ the objective and promptly lost two to the terrain. (I said my opponent didn't have to role for deadly but he insisted that since they would finish the turn on it hey should). The skinks shot the ard boys but didn't do too much. In combat the megaboss put some wounds on the troglodon but took 4 himself. My opponent scored 0.20170225_111713.jpg.599932b4333ca6f6b29d0dc71ee4e6ba.jpg

Turn 3 I can't remember who went first. I brought on a war chanter who buffed the ard boys, so they could go help my second megaboss deal with the carnosaur that had appeared. The war chanter then went to charge the chameleon skinks in the deadly terrain but fell over and killed himself. The megaboss tanking the troglodon and saurus guard died to a skink priest shooting him. 5 more chameleon skinks appeared next to my gore gruntas on the far objective. Now that I think about it I must have gone first this round as I scored another 3 points and my opponent 1.20170225_114226.jpg.d6bed719c8e56e7b633cb47850a67ddf.jpg

Turn 4 I did very little moving. My remaining megaboss and ard boys fought with my opponents carnosaur and managed to take it out. Gore gruntas charged the chameleon skinks near them and killed them but only after they had scored the objective.. My opponent charged his troglodon into my unit of brutes holding the centre objective, this turned out to be a suicide mission. Again I scored 3 points and my opponent 1.

Turn 5 my opponent charges everything he can into the brutes holding the centre. The saurus fighting my brutes from turn 2 die but leave only 2 brutes alive, these would join the big fight in the middle in my turn.The Slann, saurus, skink priest, saurus hero, brutes and  gruntas have a big fight in the middle. I score 1 my opponent score 1 with the final score been 10-3 and another win tho the ironjawz.

Although I won easily on points in terms of losses it was quite close. Those saurus guard when buffed up just don't go anywhere. I also got really lucky with battle shock throughout the game and didn't loose many brutes to it. I think my opponent could have done a bit better if he hadn't have gotten bogged down with my teleporting brutes turn two. Had he gone in with overwhelming force he could have dealt with them quickly and had more of his army to go after the objectives. Instead he had his characters stuck near by buffing a unit of saurus guard that just held the brutes there all game. Also playing on a 4x4 I think helped me giving my opponent less room to manoeuvre. 

Hope that all makes sense, seems a lot to remember and type out now I sit here and do it. 

Morning,

Another nice report @Mike. c, keep it up if you can as you're doing a good job with these! Sounded like a great game. I recently played Seraphon myself in a smaller game and had a nightmare with the Carnosaur destroying all my Brutes haha!! Seems like whilst it was close on kill points, you stuck to your guns with the battleplan's objective to ensure a decisive win. That's a very important part of the game, easy to get carried away with killing and take your eye off the prize.

Also whilst I tend to skim over photos (at work), I have to say the table and armies were looking great in this game!

Chris

Thanks @Chris Tomlin . I saw on twitter about your problem with the Carnosaur. Don't know if my opponent was just unlucky or what but it really didn't do too much. It was only a scarvet on Carnosaur though not an old blood, don't know if there is much difference/ which you faced?

Also for everyone following this blog, since that game, I have managed to finish off the gore gruntas.

20170227_163244.jpg.f8f6461d40e4e43333958969ad479b9d.jpg20170227_163301.jpg.443e89bcc95fca52301d59da3f0ff557.jpg20170227_163318.jpg.d6c465384d6a37a66d42688f61b3d9ea.jpg

9 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Seems like whilst it was close on kill points, you stuck to your guns with the battleplan's objective to ensure a decisive win. That's a very important part of the game, easy to get carried away with killing and take your eye off the prize.

It's both an easy and very Orruky thing to do :D Maybe it is something we should strive for?

1 hour ago, Mike. c said:

Thanks @Chris Tomlin . I saw on twitter about your problem with the Carnosaur. Don't know if my opponent was just unlucky or what but it really didn't do too much. It was only a scarvet on Carnosaur though not an old blood, don't know if there is much difference/ which you faced?

Also for everyone following this blog, since that game, I have managed to finish off the gore gruntas.

Good job, they are looking really cool!

Archived