Warhead01s Boneplittaz thread

warhead01

I guess I'll start with, Hello!

I've played two games so far and am wondering if I need more chompas. I am having trouble deciding. I have 20 spears and 10 chompas. I'm not sure that was the best thing to do. Looking at range vs chopping power. 

I've stumbled onto one other misstep I've made do far as well. I'm more sure about this one than the chompas vs Spears. 
I have a mob of 20 Morboys. I'm thinking 2 mobs of 10 would actually be more useful. none of their abilities/rules seem to gain from large mobs. 

Any thoughts on these would be welcome!

Thanks for reading!

Good on ya for going with some combat Bonesplitterz.  Every time I jab something with Big Stabbas, I think I'd like to try a more combat-y style.  I have a small block of 10 spears- they pretty much do nothing but die kind of slowly.  Against monsters, you can sometimes sneak some wounds in.  I don't know that it would be all that different with chompas, because the number of attacks are so low.  I will say generally that "re-roll 1s to wound" will have greater value on 3+ to wound than 4+.

The 2" range is handy for fighting in two ranks, which might come in a little more handy when the unit gets bigger.  People tend to assume they will get every model in, but it can be pretty tough.  With a small unit of 10, they do pretty much all get to fight every time at least.

As for the Morboyz, I would say unit size preference is going to depend on how much time you mean to spend buffing them.  If you're going to Brutal Beast spirits or Hand of Gork (or Kunnin Beast Spirits/Mystic Shield I guess) then you get some better mileage out of a larger unit.  But I do think there's some play in a few smaller units running around.

Thanks for the reply. 
I played my third game yesterday and used my Big Stabbas for a second time now. When they did die I totally forgot their last Stab. I just remembered this morning...  Oh well. haha. 
I actually was able to set up in a neat little formation yesterday. Savage chompas in front with savage Stickkas behind. Set up to use their two inch reach. On the way home it occured to me to add a third row with the big stabbas. My Savage Orruks did ok, and died slowly. I didn't roll so well.  
My friend says "don't take this the wrong way but you(I) should play a different army." But in three turns even nearly being tabled I put a real hurting on his Ironjaws. Which was good.  Not too much went my way due to bad dice. Magic more or less wasn't happening... But it's ok. I've already learned a lot more about my army and that's a really good thing. 
Need the proppa spells and a good setup. and those Ironjaws are beatable. (Seems to me.) 

Thanks for reading. In the not too distant future I'll have some pictures to post. 

I think you're definitely going about things the right way, definitely never be disheartened. I think, if you're likely to face ironjawz a lot, then magic and shooting are your friends as in combat they're likely to out fight you. Sounds like luck was against you that game but keep it up. 

25 minutes ago, Soulsmith said:

I think you're definitely going about things the right way, definitely never be disheartened. I think, if you're likely to face ironjawz a lot, then magic and shooting are your friends as in combat they're likely to out fight you. Sounds like luck was against you that game but keep it up. 

Thank you! 
I decided the first 10 to 15 games "don't count". I need a good understanding of the rules and game mechanics. I have some good friends that I'm playing with. I've found that the armies are more competitive than the players pushing them around. That makes for a fun time. 

The dice weren't kind but not the worst. Just not good enough. I tried out brutal beast spirit and the big bosses command ability to pip up my chompa boys. I'd get lots of hits then hardly wound. averaging 2 or 3 wounds from 9 attacks. Needing threes. I was expecting closer to 5. 
Just the luck!

I'm looking forward to my next game already!

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I'd share a link to my blog where I've posted pictures of my Bonesplittaz army. 
You can see the tribe here!

I won 10 more savages from an ebay auction and they've just arrived this week.  They're half way built now and I have decided I wanted another 10 arrow boys for the mob. We'll be up to 30 strong! 

With luck I'll get my fourth game before the end of this month. 
I'm really looking forward to that.

Thanks for reading!

Thank you Soulsmith. 

I'm thinking about ho best to divide up my boxes of Boarboys. 
Right now I just have the 10 Maniaks and I have been thinking another 10 would be a really good idea, it opens up some options.
The second box I was thinking Boarboys with Chompas and Shields. 2 units of 5. I was partially thinking one of those might get spears for the reach.
Heck maybe they both should. then they can be a follow on unit once combat is going on. 
I have to reread Boarboys. (I've basically not even looked at them.)
With some luck I'll be able to get my next game in a week or at least by the end of this month. 

Now back to painting! 10 arrow boys in the works. 

Thanks for reading!

Good news! Just finished up the 10 Arrow boys! Not the mobs 30 strong! 
Working on some moboys, which are older savage Orc models, this frees up 5 of my 20 morboys. These 5 will become Savage Orruks with chompas and shields. I'm stripping pain from some other plastics that were in a box I got in trade. I'll be 3 short of 10. I'm going to bitz order those last three.

Tracking says my Boarboys kits are now in the country! just a few more days to go. 

I'll try to get some new pictures up soon.

I've started my Maniak Weirdnob and will probably have him done this weekend. 
I'm still trying to decide who to best build my next two boxes of Boar boys. I'm thinking 4 mobs of 5. I want one more mob of Maniaks to fill out the Snaga Rukk, after I get one more Maniak Weirdnob. I'm not at this point certain I "need" units of 10 or more. 

I was looking at the Bonegrinz warclan and wondering how the replacement unit from loadsa boys works in matched play.  I'm not sure. I know summoned units have to have their points set aside from the start and I know that for example Skeletons can add models to their units , not exceeding their starting size, with out needing points for that set aside. So where does Loadsa boys fit in?

I'll post more pictures when I have more finished models! I've figured out how to post them. 

Facing Ironjawz is rough in my experience (as a Bloodbound player though)

Spells seems like a major strength to 'splitterz to pull off some stunts and deal damage. Personally not to keen on using the kunning rukk "Cheese" myself, but against Ironjawz I wouldn't mind! Make me happy and win some games against them for me! (Did I mention I hate Ironjawz?)

I'm just getting started on a Bonesplitterz army myself, I think my main focus will be boarboyz of both kinds, some footsloggers and the big stabba battalion, but we'll see once I get some games in how I feel :P

Awesome pictures in the blog btw, always fun to see an army grow! :D

2 hours ago, Centuryslayer said:

Facing Ironjawz is rough in my experience (as a Bloodbound player though)

Spells seems like a major strength to 'splitterz to pull off some stunts and deal damage. Personally not to keen on using the kunning rukk "Cheese" myself, but against Ironjawz I wouldn't mind! Make me happy and win some games against them for me! (Did I mention I hate Ironjawz?)

I'm just getting started on a Bonesplitterz army myself, I think my main focus will be boarboyz of both kinds, some footsloggers and the big stabba battalion, but we'll see once I get some games in how I feel :P

Awesome pictures in the blog btw, always fun to see an army grow! :D

Thank you! 

So far from looking back at what actually happened during my games against the Ironjaws, I can see where it shouldn't take more than a turn to ..turn the tide in my favor but I have to pay attention and dedicate my shooting and spells at his characters. Once the buffs are out of the picture things will be easier. So far I've not spent much energy on doing that. Winning will come. Learning a new game has been a load of fun. 
I think the kunning rukk  is kinda a no brainer but I haven't used it yet. So far i haven't used a battalion at all. As cool as they are it just seemed like extra rules to learn and remember before I had the rest of the rules understood. I know, it's a simple game and all but none of my games have been even within the same week.

I guess I'd ask, how many boar boys would you put in the same unit? I'm really thinking I should just make a lot of mobs of 5 strong I may get more use out of 3 mobs of 5 vs 1 mob of 15, for example. Granted they won't last as long but maybe that won't matter? 

Thanks for the reply! 

In my "theory hammering" I'm putting like 10 in there but I'm guessing 5 is better because it'd be hard to get 10 of them in. But I want to Hand of Gorking a big unit of boarboyz who are in combat to hit&run them over the unit they fought and then charge a buff character or a backfield unit (or just make space for another unit to charge and slam them in the back). :'D 

Sounds like a good plan.

I discovered the answer to my question about replacement units via Loadsa boys.  It would seem to require points set aside for the units that would be replaced. So, I'm not seeing much of a place for it in ached play. No big deal. 

And Here's a look at the Maniak Weirdnob.

0305171607%255B1%255D.jpg

The rest of the pictures can be seen here.

Thanks for looking.

On 3/6/2017 at 9:21 PM, Red_Zeke said:

Loving the hordes.  Would be interested in seeing some battlefield reports from a combat Bonesplittaz perspective.  Really want to build out mine to do the same.  Thing there's mileage in the Kop Rukk to be honest!

Thanks! I'm enjoying painting them.

I was looking at each warclan today and I think your on to something. Morboys were one of the first units I built and painted, their rules were one of the things that stuck out as having a lot of character, the character of the Bonesplittaz. 
I wasn't set on only one way to play. One battalion or one warclan. The Darkfoot warclan looks like a reasonable tack all comer way to field an army. 
I guess I need 2 more wardokks and another mob or two if Morboys. I'm not going to buy them for a month or two at this point. Not until my Boar riders are all done. 
I've just started the first 5 out of 20 this week.

I'm also looking through my bitz box for an old savage orc boar rider to turn into another Maniak Weirdnob to fill out the Sanga rukk.

Thanks for the replies.

I was lucky enough to play another game today! Game 4 
Ironjaws again. They seem to be every where. 
My list today was 5 Maniack boar boys, 10 Savage boys with chompas and shields, 2 bigstabbas, 30 Arrow boys, 1 Manick Weirdnob, 1 Wurgrog prophet and a big boss as general. Big boss had a savage trophy rack for the bravery boost. The Maniack Weirdnob had Da Squigly Curse and the Prophet had Brutal Beast spirit. 

Just a 1000 point list. we played mission 2. 

My opponent finished setting up first and gave me first turn. I'd set up just beyond his maximum ranges but going first could allow him the first double turn. I won priority every turn except the 4th. and at that point the games was over. I had set up a draw but lost it in the last turn.Most of the game was spend looking for ways to mitigate his units fighting ability and not falling into 3" range of his unengaged units. This worked to prevent them from being able to pile in during combat keeping them out of the fight. I have a lot to learn but I'm seeing that there are ways to  control the flow of combat. My dice were not kind at all rolling well below average. 
The game was very close I killed his general with shooting and later arcane bolt to finish him off. I really like wizards and am not seeing much good coming from the bigboss. Granted it's only been 4 games and still mostly only against Ironjaws. 
My spellchuckas seemed potent when they would roll high enough to case a spell. The dice didn't seem interested in casting spells for a few turns, only giving me one of three possible spell until turn 3.  Brutal.

Other than that I had blast. It's starting to come together. 
Lesson for today, bring more wizards. And more things to dish mortal wounds...

Thanks for reading!

• 1 month later...

I was asked to partner with a friends Ironjaws this weekend at a local-ish doubles tournament. I'm going to bring out 640 points of Kunnin Rukk to support his Burtal greenskins.  I asked how close we had to be on the points and was told at or below. Which is fine.  I don't have a lot of games under my belt so our plan is no matter what kill the enemy commanders. ( bragging rites.) 
I'm bringing 30 arrow boys, which is all I have.  I'm not sure if I'm taking chompas or stickas on my Savages, one unit for the one required battleline for the event. My game plan is to buff my shooting and maybe throw an offencive spell with my attached wardokk.
I've used Warscroll builder from the internet to quickly build my list, it seems to allow me to take the destruction items.  If that's allowed I'll take the one that buffs to hit rolls. If not.. maybe the savage trophy. The wardokk will probably take the Ju-ju wotnots. Was thinking about the Big wurrgog mask. 
I think buffing his spell might be better. but I'm not really sure. 

With a frontline of ironjawz covering you, you're going to be pretty safe kunnin rukk all over the place. I believe you can take destruction artefacts as you can elect to use the allegiance ability over your own one.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

When it was done we has taken second place! 

Our first game was against Stormcasts. 
The game took a few minuets to get started maybe 20. while they sorted out their models. 
We played the mission on page 113. the missions were slightly modified adding in a first blood a slay the warlord and a third extra objective. ( These slightly changes from mission to mission.) 
the score was 21 to 20 a close loss for us. We had the top scores in points at the end of the first round.

Next round we had to face an army that one of the other play teams had said were cheating during the first round. I'm not really sure what they did. Each teal was allowed to take 2 Heroes, 4 on a side. I know they had 5 but they were also doing something else but I don't know for sure what. Or they had a misunderstanding. 
We faced off against Plague daemons and Skaven. They blocked up plague guys in 2 blocks of 20 with rats guys, with no save, behind. Thy also had a rat monster leader guy... ? No idea what it's called. (As their Warlord)

They spent 3 turns backing up to set up position and their end game. I think we deployed incorrectly in a way I set my 30 Arrow boys to the left away from their army, I thought they had spells and shooting or something. So my shooting was out of position. But we did use the arrow boys to claim two objectives. ( The Objectives were what confused me the most, did I have to leave a unit on an objective or what?)  I think the outcome would have been different if I had a better grasp on things. We nearly killed their warlord with the Ironjws Gork spell and Bonekrusha, my damage rolls being completely low and the monster thing getting some kind of a save. 
The game ended in a tie, which they had been planning for from the start. 7 points scored. 

The last round. 
We were I think tied for second but had earned more points against the team in first place. (we were playing for second but could take first if we earned enough points? Or we were the "top team in second place"? something like that.)
We faced Fire Stunties and Stormcast scouts on foot...who could just turn up anywhere. And they did! 
This mission had a randomly determined objective falling from the sky. 

So I deployed in a line covering 2 areas it could fall with the arrow boys and my stickas in the other. ( on the far left but near center where it would possibly land.)  The opposition got the first turn.  ( mayhem ensued! ) 
The scouting, flanking ninja Stormcast guys and their leader/general on mount arrived immediately on our far left flank trying to hurt the arrow boys, hold us up and maybe kill the Ironjaws spell-chukka. We took minor losses, thanks to 2 wound models and a failed charge by the mounted hero. we held. The enemy General was quickly Foot of Gorked? by the Ironjaws. A bunch of his scouts got it too. The the shooting did it's work as well. He was down to about 5 models. 
Our objective arrived in the center square, was easily scored and protected and we pushed on. The Fire Dwarves are really tough with effectively 3 saving rolls. The took a beating and then some. Near the end the Ironjaws player was planning to try to grab the other objective, so we could win, but we didn't commit early enough. (Scoring for this even required a unit from each team to claim an objective.) The game ended with on tough Dwarf hero stuck in combat and no other enemy on the field.  14 point scored. 

We scored 41 points and took second place.
The first place team earned 44 points. First place went to the Stormcast players from our first game. 

There were a few high points for sure. In the first game we nearly won but failed to re-secure our home objective, looking back that objective was not the one we wanted at all. we wanted/needed a two point objective. Either way our efforts failed due to my big boss not running far enough. He just didn't make it in time.
Not really anything from the second game. The other team... I just don't know thy didn't speak up and didn't announce what they were doing before rolling dice some times. to be fair I was in pain half way through the first game so I was trying to maintain my cool so I know some of it was me. 
I can't really pick a high point from game three. I felt really bad about the Stormcasts beeing all beaten up and ruined. I offered to start over if they wanted but we didn't, it was a tournament after all. The Stormcast player didn't take t very well and was trying hard to maintain his composure which I can respect. He mentioned running on only two hours of sleep. 
I did feel bad for him I know it killed his fun. One thing that stuck out was the fear other players have of Da Kunnin Rukk. It was mentioned that it has even been band in some tournaments now.  Meh. I doubt I'll take it again or at least not very often. I'd be interested to try it with chompa but It would be less effective for sure.

This was the first tournament I have attended in 7 years.  I'm glad I went. 

And with that.

WAAAAAGH! Da Second place! 
WAAAAAAGH!

This week I've got back to working on my current 5 Savage Boar boys. I put them down for about a month or two. They're coming along nicely.

I've been working over the matches from last Saturday. Only being a few points below winning the tournament was an amazing outcome. 
Mostly I've been looking back at game two. We knew the other team was trying to force a tie game.  
How could we have won?
All I've come up with is deployment. Our downfall was not being more aggressive and not applying my shooting very well at all.
We were in a bit of shock that a -2 to shooting prevented shooting. (Due to needing 5+ to hit) I think I let that get in my head. There were other things to target and those had no save. Also, the unit with the -2 thing, well, we could have planned an assault to brake that ability and then shoot after that. Lesson learned. 
Over all a fantastic day and I'm excited to play again.

Archived