Welcome Guest!

Join us now to get access to all our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, and so, so much more. It's also quick and totally free, so what are you waiting for?

Ben

What is a Move and what is a Set-Up?

10 posts in this topic

Ben    1,362

After the confusion over the Warrior Brotherhood deployment in recent weeks and some differing opinions on how to interpret FAQ questions, I wanted to go over the details of how Lightening Strike works in light of all these different rules.

The post What is a Move and what is a Set-Up? appeared first on The Bad Dice Podcast.

View the full article

Ben    1,362

Not true.  You can set-up in all parts of the game.  

45 minutes ago, Ben said:

Not true.  You can set-up in all parts of the game.  

I didn't say the set up was limited. ;) if it says it's a set up in the ability then it is, if it says it's a move then that's what it is. 

otherwise I assume the default would be a move. 

Turragor    803

I don't play the WB but IF I do I'm playing it outside 3 inches (if I even include an Azyros).

I think it's more fitting.

1 hour ago, Turragor said:

I don't play the WB but IF I do I'm playing it outside 3 inches (if I even include an Azyros).

I think it's more fitting.

I don't mind either way it's ruled to be honest. If anything I see it being more fitting that they slam straight in to combat. 

But overall there's not much difference I think? either you end up directly in to combat or you have a 2.8% chance of rolling snake eyes and not making it in to combat. 

Turragor    803
25 minutes ago, The Jabber Tzeentch said:

I don't mind either way it's ruled to be honest. If anything I see it being more fitting that they slam straight in to combat. 

But overall there's not much difference I think? either you end up directly in to combat or you have a 2.8% chance of rolling snake eyes and not making it in to combat. 

I think when you can get within 3 inches you can ignore any bubbling or positioning of the opponent and congaline a unit through all barriers all the way to an objective or key target. Maybe that's the most cheeky element to it.

chord    355

A move is when you use your Move attribute.  So if you have a move attribute of 6" then it's a move whether you are moving or retreating.

tolstedt    72

We ran into a situation last week where a unit of skeletons rolled 6 models back and used them to conga over to an objective in the final turn to win an otherwise lost position.  

In this situation the player who did well to pick their combats wisely and utilize their chaff units to keep the skeletons tagged in combat and unable to reach the objective was not rewarded for their good play.  These movement abilities, while dynamic (and it can be argued that the other player should keep this tactic in mind and do more to avoid it) can be a bit too strong in the final turns when there are not many bodies left to block such plays.

The death player felt "dirty" to use the tactic and we made a draw instead.  If something like this is making a player feel like it is wrong, maybe it can be looked at.  He did not feel as if I simply missed a good tactic, but felt like it was unfair.

I would like a ruling on whether adding models to a unit counts as a set up and whether or not they can tag new units into combat.  I can see the arguments from both sides.

Ben    1,362
On 30/01/2017 at 3:24 PM, tolstedt said:

The death player felt "dirty" to use the tactic 

This is a totally normal Death tactic that I see used all the time.