When is the new Death Battletome coming out?!?!?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, daedalus81 said:

FEC was one of the first books.  Of course the newer ones are better, because they've embraced a new design philosophy.  They can't just magically apply that to an old book without putting in the attention it deserves.

That was never the point though.  The point is GW likes to "embrace a new design philosophy" midway through something, and then never retroactively do things to apply it, you're stuck waiting until they decide to come back around, and get further and further behind.  Granted, this is nothing new, but it's frustrating.  The correct approach would have been that when they decided to do Sylvaneth with their own allegiance abilities and artifacts, they should have worked on an interim book that updated all prior factions with Battletomes to have the same (i.e. the whole book would have been command traits/spells/artifacts for the existing factions) and THEN carried on with that approach.  That way, everything else was brought up to the same line, and (in theory anyways, rarely practice with GW) then future Battletomes can carry along that path.  Instead, they do what they always do:  Do something once, decide "Oh hey we should do X instead" and carry on with X for new things, while the stuff pre-X is left to languish (except for the poster army e.g. Stormcast in AOS and Space Marines in 40k) until GW decides they can come back around to the stuff that is just slightly out of date.

With 40K about to get a rules rework to make it use the exact same system as AoS, we will soon see a blending of the universes. 

This means that the new Eldar God of Death, Ynnead, will supplant Nagash, and Slaanesh will return to fight this new god.

At that point, there can be a campaign book series of Death vs. Slaanesh, with aelfdar support too.

That's when we'll get new Death stuff.

Edit: sorry for the off topic! Good luck Death-Guys!

From what I've heard in the rumour mill, 8th edition isn't going to have as stream lined a rules set as AoS has (more so that it will be stream lined compared to the bloated BRB/system that currently is being used), and that it will still be using all the current Dexes. That in its self, if true, means that the 40k system will be much more rule heavy than AoS. At least "how many rules do we need to write in the core rule book" wise.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

@Sleboda
keep dreaming

@daedalus81
It doesn't take magic it just takes modern technology. Release a new section of the app with allegiance/artefact/spells. Update the scrolls via the app as I described earlier. They could even highlight an "Allegiance" section of the white dwarf in which they apply a set of allegiance rules, spells and artefacts for factions that don't have them each month. Its not that hard; they released 3 sets of them for tzeentch, these armies only need one set.

I get -  I was jelly about new books, too.  FEC is still a recent book which is more than most got and honestly i'd prefer something with the care put into the DoT book over a half-baked catch-up ruleset.  Especially when the army is still viable if a bit less dynamic.

They could release it as a freaking FAQ or something/errata, excluding the new Stormcast tome there are what, 5 at most Battletomes from the old style?  Seraphon, Fyreslayers, Khorne Bloodbound, Everchosen (technically don't even need an update as they aren't a full faction), Stormcast Extremis (included in new Stormcast tome), Flesh-eater Courts and Ironjawz right?

so 5.  one page for allegiance, one page for artifacts (maybe even half a page), maybe one page for spells/lore?  That's a pretty small document, and shouldn't take a hell of a lot of time to actually figure something out that would help bring those factions up to at least something resembling a level playing field before they fall too far by the wayside as GW just chugs along cranking out new things and ignores old ones because they've already had the "buy now!" phase for them so who cares about longevity?

2 hours ago, wayniac said:

GW just chugs along cranking out new things and ignores old ones because they've already had the "buy now!" phase for them so who cares about longevity?

GW has dropped prices for books and included some model discounts like start collecting.

We're starting to see a much more level playing field compared to 40K and compared to old fantasy.

We're seeing a rules system that's easy to follow and supports 3 popular modes of play.

We're also seeing the first real attempt at producing an actively balanced metagame on a more than 3+ year cycle (GHB looks to be annual, and it's possible we see something digital more often than that.)

So maybe lighten up on the sky is falling stuff.

I want some new Death stuff too, but rumors and forum posts seem to be pointing us to end of 2017, or sometime 2018, after Aelves/Slaneesh/Duardin/ 40K Call of Cadia.

There was some rumors after the generals handbook that there was this weird extra section in the app where allegiance stuff might go. I think maybe they opted to create allegiance stuff for every faction all at once, kind of like how they released the compendium all at once. And therefore - its taking a while to get it all sorted out. But it might mean that one day we wake up to see that the app is updated with allegiance stuff for every faction in the game. We will probably get charged $10 a pop but it will be cool. 

14 minutes ago, WoollyMammoth said:

There was some rumors after the generals handbook that there was this weird extra section in the app where allegiance stuff might go. I think maybe they opted to create allegiance stuff for every faction all at once, kind of like how they released the compendium all at once. And therefore - its taking a while to get it all sorted out. But it might mean that one day we wake up to see that the app is updated with allegiance stuff for every faction in the game. We will probably get charged $10 a pop but it will be cool. 

The alliagence abilities are in the App In The my battle section, but only if you've bought GHB or appropriate Battletomes digitally through the app or had you heard of something extra? 

21 hours ago, Lavy said:

Fingers crossed the new death faction is an add on to tomb kings, to bring them up to date. Scarab riders would be cool... just a thought.

And wasn't there a bone giant kit rumored like before AoS?

I feel like a tomb kings update may be unlikely as why wouldnt they just give TK the same treatment as the other factions.

Shive them into some dusty (Literally) corner of the realm of death with a paragraph of fluff to keep the going before they can be of use and keep them out of the compendium.

I know their have been a few mentions and hat tilts to them in the mortal realms but i reackon that they could in all likelyhood be completely re released as its a whole death aesthetic waiting to happen.

Then again i dont think things like the Generals handbook were planned straight from the word go but instead a reaction as a result of public outcry. If thats anything to go by GW proberbly thought it was a good idea to retire TK at the time but have realised that people REALLy want TK back but are likely to want to do it on their terms as part of some "Just as planned" scheme as opposed to saying "sorry our bad!" (Which is what i would do actually)

However if i had to guess i reckon that this death release will be the re intergration of the TK faction by expanding out the Deathlords one.

Let us not forget that that we have Nagash(Nehekharan high priest/King), Arkhan (Nehekharan noble/general), Neferata(Nehekharan Queen of Lhmaia), and Morghasts (which were the enslaved and riencarnated guardians of the Nehekharan underworld).

We also have a hint of the return of Black pyramids.

Therefore i could see them using the whole "Nagash covets the knowledge that went into the creation of the stormcasts" thing as well as his plans with the black pyramids to create a new host of deathlord/Nehekaran units (So Tk but updated with a darker aesthetic similar to the morghasts)

2 hours ago, KHHaunts said:

I feel like a tomb kings update may be unlikely as why wouldnt they just give TK the same treatment as the other factions.

Shive them into some dusty (Literally) corner of the realm of death with a paragraph of fluff to keep the going before they can be of use and keep them out of the compendium.

I know their have been a few mentions and hat tilts to them in the mortal realms but i reackon that they could in all likelyhood be completely re released as its a whole death aesthetic waiting to happen.

Then again i dont think things like the Generals handbook were planned straight from the word go but instead a reaction as a result of public outcry. If thats anything to go by GW proberbly thought it was a good idea to retire TK at the time but have realised that people REALLy want TK back but are likely to want to do it on their terms as part of some "Just as planned" scheme as opposed to saying "sorry our bad!" (Which is what i would do actually)

However if i had to guess i reckon that this death release will be the re intergration of the TK faction by expanding out the Deathlords one.

Let us not forget that that we have Nagash(Nehekharan high priest/King), Arkhan (Nehekharan noble/general), Neferata(Nehekharan Queen of Lhmaia), and Morghasts (which were the enslaved and riencarnated guardians of the Nehekharan underworld).

We also have a hint of the return of Black pyramids.

Therefore i could see them using the whole "Nagash covets the knowledge that went into the creation of the stormcasts" thing as well as his plans with the black pyramids to create a new host of deathlord/Nehekaran units (So Tk but updated with a darker aesthetic similar to the morghasts)

Problem is if they do this they will leave all the other Death factions in the dust which need more help than tomb kings, Aesthetic wise the guy who designed Nagash and the Mortarch's (Neferata, Arkhan and Mannfred) intended for the new undead aesthetic to be gothic with a slight tomb king influence. 

I say they should focus on the stuff we have and release a few the new models like the tzeentch release and then work on re integrating the tomb kings. All the current death models are more gothic in theme than tomb kings the whole vampire counts faction currently makes up the current death grand alliance. 

I don't think they are going to change the aesthetic so suddenly to a tomb king influence for the new Death release of course I could be wrong. I mean tomb kings were squatted for a reason I think. I personally think they wanted to put death in a look they could control more instead of an Egyptian theme. 

It's the same reason I think they removed empire knights and demigryph knights are most likely the new knightly orders for freeguild. It's fits their vision of AOS fantasy and it's more trademarkable and protect-able than empire knights. 

If they give death a tzeentch format tome majority of the problems with Death will be fixed of course it would be more expensive I bet but I would put down the money for it. Plus it keeps the other aspects of the alliance from lagging behind due to not having a book. 

I mean stormcast are popular but as you can see the tome is not sold out like tzeentch, why? I think because the tome is only FOR stormcast players while tzeentch was for daemons, mortals and arcanite players. 

If free guild and devoted of sigmar were part of the stormcast tome I bet you the book would be smashed out of stock. 

They had enough solid references in the fluff to make it easy to bring them around.  The problem is you can't just write backstory for 30 different races and the TK don't really fit Nagash's mold so they need to do something appropriate instead of saying they belong to Nagash now.

1 minute ago, daedalus81 said:

They had enough solid references in the fluff to make it easy to bring them around.  The problem is you can't just write backstory for 30 different races and the TK don't really fit Nagash's mold so they need to do something appropriate instead of saying they belong to Nagash now.

Pretty much settra would NEVER work for nagash. Some people say oh they could be a death faction that's against nagash problem is how Death functions and Mannfred stories of those who went against him. Also what happens to the undead in his presence hence why the FEC that have not bent the knee run and put as much distance between them and nagash as possible. 

Hence why I believe they will be a completely new faction, as you said. 

19 minutes ago, shinros said:

Problem is if they do this they will leave all the other Death factions in the dust which need more help than tomb kings, Aesthetic wise the guy who designed Nagash and the Mortarch's (Neferata, Arkhan and Mannfred) intended for the new undead aesthetic to be gothic with a slight tomb king influence. 

I say they should focus on the stuff we have and release a few the new models like the tzeentch release and then work on re integrating the tomb kings. All the current death models are more gothic in theme than tomb kings the whole vampire counts faction currently makes up the current death grand alliance. 

I don't think they are going to change the aesthetic so suddenly to a tomb king influence for the new Death release of course I could be wrong. I mean tomb kings were squatted for a reason I think. I personally think they wanted to put death in a look they could control more instead of an Egyptian theme. 

It's the same reason I think they removed empire knights and demigryph knights are most likely the new knightly orders for freeguild. It's fits their vision of AOS fantasy and it's more trademarkable and protect-able than empire knights. 

If they give death a tzeentch format tome majority of the problems with Death will be fixed of course it would be more expensive I bet but I would put down the money for it. Plus it keeps the other aspects of the alliance from lagging behind due to not having a book. 

I mean stormcast are popular but as you can see the tome is not sold out like tzeentch, why? I think because the tome is only FOR stormcast players while tzeentch was for daemons, mortals and arcanite players. 

If free guild and devoted of sigmar were part of the stormcast tome I bet you the book would be smashed out of stock. 

like you say they are unlikely to just copy the aesthetic so by incoporating an egyptian theme into the gothic like they have with the deathlords would work nicely for them.

As for leaving other factions in the dust. didnt orruks do that to destruction when it first came out? This new elite army that only incoporated and updated an single model from the old ones.

So i dont thing tombkings will come back. But if the first new death army is an elite army like most of the new ones have been then i wouldnt be surprised if it were an extension of deathlords incorporating various other "things" of Nagash's invention that take their influence from tomb kings even if their aesthetic is altered vastly by the gothic tone.

It may just be me but i feel that the Stormcast battle tome hasent sold as well because stormcast keeps getting release after release and while many are interested their not interested enough (particularly about the fluff) because its an addition that they can pick up later.

While the Tzeentch book (along with the reason you said) was the first real indication of what Tzeentch looks like in the new setting.

As soon as we get an Aelf book i think people will go nuts even if it only updates one faction as it will be the first glimpse into what the aelves have been upto besides some minor references in other books.

I'd really rather not see Tomb Kings rereleased. If after a year of waiting since the last battletome what we get is basically a rerelease of compendium stuff I'd be really disappointed. What difference would that make to us as players in this GA? That Tomb Kings are somehow recognised as more valid because they are not in compendium.

GA: Death needs work but i hope it's more creative than that

@TerrorPenguin, I'm sure GW will be more creative than just repackaging tomb kings. What they could do is leave all of the tomb Kings models as compendium and move their story forward by perhaps releasing a mortuary cult faction; lots of casters that use death magic, they build up their forces in secrecy in the mortal realms (sort of like gene stealer cults, but for undead), throw in a new summoning mechanic, and a few models with the homogenized theme we see with mortarchs and voila, you've got the tomb Kings flavour but with the new aesthetic we see in other death factions.

Of course Settra is never going to work with Nagash, so he can stay compendium, but that doesn't mean some of the core essence of the tomb kings army can't survive and be reimagined. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing a reaniment themed army with an AoS flavour.

I would also be disappointed if our first battle tome since FEC was something uninspired, but judging by the last few releases I highly doubt that is going to be the case. I'm expecting that they will take the next death tome in a completely unexpected direction.

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, mmimzie said:

I wouldnt mind death having little or no shooting, but instead beable to summon cliser to enemies or summon into combat.

Really i just think death need battalions and other alligence ability options. 

Some sort of way for you to get all up in those archer's business.

Death is not a lame faction, there is plenty of room for mixed lists. At LVO there was a nighthaunt list and a settra chariot list that did very well. Sure skeletons, zombies and ghouls are all horde style lists, but we are not confined to that. There are (soon to be nerfed) TK lists which often feature a handful of zombies to fill out the battleline.  You could have Arkhan and 3 units of Morghast + lots of summoning. You could make a FEC list with all Flayers or Horrors. You could make an all soulblight list with blood knights for battleline. 

Sure it sucks that you have to buy a lot of old lame models to do any of these armies but lots of factions are in this boat.

Today a GW employee said that after Duradin, elves are getting a book that covers all three and later, a new tomb king faction. He also said that New 40k rules and GH2 will come around the same time in the summer.

I don't think they will remake the TK models, that is silly. You can see how they re-released a lot of old ugly kits now so they did not dump TK because of that. The Sphinx kit was great, also the Necro Knights & the Tomb Guard. there is no reason not to absorb the models they like into a new death faction. There are many ****** factions which don't have enough models, so there is no reason they couldn't have taken the kits and just thrown the ones they like in a "Reanimant" faction. As far as random models that don't fit - look what they just did to Slaughterbrute & Vortex Beast, giving them new synergy to fit into faction armies. 

So why did they dump TK? Really the only thing that makes sense is that they have a new faction ready to go which is like TK but much more awesome which the old TK models just don't fit into or kind of step on in some way. It would probably have some kind of mummy, but all the mummies were old ugly resin models. 

You might not like them but hey, all Order doesn't like Sylvaneth or Fyreslayers, all Chaos doesn't like skaven, all Destruction doesn't like BCR. That's just how it is. If they release a new faction at least we can say they aren't ignoring the entire grand alliance anymore. 

Also the new skeleton faction shows that they are not abandoning the oldschool death themes which most of us all love.

Archived