Megaboss on Maw-Krusha equipment

kong

I don't have one yet, but if I did I'd go with a Choppa and Rip-Tooth Fist. Mainly because there are things that ignore rend -1, and I'd rather have more rend -2 than more more non-rending attacks. Overall, I just don't see the use of ever taking the extra 1" and 3 3/3/0/1 attacks over the extra rend and 3/3/-1/2 attack unless you were using him to clear up trash packs, even then, I'd still go with the Choppa and Fist.

• 3 weeks later...

The Damage output of both is actually very similar...

Gore-hacka & Scrap-tooth (vs 4+ save):

58ab2f69c6283_ScreenShot2017-02-20at10_02_19AM.png.28296a7b17c744e9d5680286ee542b99.png

Boss-choppa and Rip-tooth Fist (vs 4+ save):

58ab2fb3d12fd_ScreenShot2017-02-20at10_01_47AM.png.3f80437cda8bbb5e4943f09240692f98.png

Gore-hacka & Scrap-tooth does an average of 1-4 wounds to a 4+ save model, 50% of the time inflicting 3+ wounds in total. The Choppa and Rip-tooth Fist do 0-5 wounds on average to a 4+ save model, 48% of the time inflicting 3+.

The bigger question is what Artifact to give. Battle Brew is a common favorite, but keeping your fat dragon safe from Mortal Wounds with the Talisman of Protection isn't a bad idea either. You can always make up for the lack of Battle Brew with Bellowing Tyrant, which will at least net you half of the Brew benefit.

• 6 months later...

Sorry to raise this thread from the grave, ladz, but with the new GHB2017 out, has that impacted what you arm your Maw-Krusha Boss with?

Seeing as how the Battle Brew doesn't seem to be the go-to artifact to take anymore, I wonder how that affects things. Do the new artifacts impact this weapon choice?

Does the extra 1" of range on the Gore-Hacka really help out? It does seem to do more consistent damage with D2, but I am not sure.

I gotta say I really think the 'Hacka looks great, and the Rend on the other option is quite the draw...

Any new developments or thoughts on this?

I've considered taking Metalrippa on the Choppa, so you have Rend -2 coming out your ear between the buffed Choppa, the Rip Toof and the Mighty Fists.  Very handy against tanked-up Treelord Ancients.

At the moment, I'm playing through a few games with the same army and loadout (which is the Ironclad / Armour of Gork combo on the MBMK).

But when I do mix things up, Metalrippa will be one of the  first things I try.

To veer slightly off topic, another thing I will likely be changing is the Megaboss on foot.  Without the old Rampaging Destroyers, I just find him too, too slow.  I've not had him in combat once yet in three GH17 games.  Twice he's been shot off, once the game just got away from him while he plodded along behind.  He's looking like a 1000-point army only consideration for me now, which is a shame for such an iconic model.  But hey ho, at least we can switch in some Gore Gruntas quite neatly now.

6 hours ago, GrimTeef said:

I had thought that artifacts like Metalrippa  didn't effect mounts, so I don't think that it would benefit Mighty Fists - I could be wrong though.

I wonder how a Boss Gore-hacka would do with Metalrippa on that...

Grim Teef you are correct - what I meant was that you already have -2 rend on the Mighty Fists (and Rip Toof).  With the artefact you would also bump the rend on the Choppa up to -2.

So you now have minimum 9 attacks (more if you call the Waaagh!) at rend -2 and multiple damage :-)

39 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

So you now have minimum 9 attacks (more if you call the Waaagh!) at rend -2 and multiple damage :-)

I got ya now. Yikes, yeah, that is quite a lot of Rend.  I am starting to see the draw towards the choppa and rip-tooth, though the Hacka Combo gets more and likely a consistent amount of attacks.

I'll likely make the weapon options magnetized anyway...

On ‎12‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 1:53 AM, PlasticCraic said:

To veer slightly off topic, another thing I will likely be changing is the Megaboss on foot.  Without the old Rampaging Destroyers, I just find him too, too slow.  I've not had him in combat once yet in three GH17 games.  Twice he's been shot off, once the game just got away from him while he plodded along behind.  He's looking like a 1000-point army only consideration for me now, which is a shame for such an iconic model.  But hey ho, at least we can switch in some Gore Gruntas quite neatly now.

Whilst still early doors for myself (haven't been able to play anywhere near as many games as I'd like!), I have to agree with this for now. Big shame, but poor ol' Krunk just hasn't done a thing so far!!

Back on topic, I think Choppa and Fist are still the better options. I do really like the idea of more -2 Rend on the model (bye-bye Treelord Ancient!), but struggle to look past Dabbing for Mork (with Armour of Gork as a second fav at present).

If I was going to use an MBMK in a Mixed Destruction list, I would certainly consider the Hammerblade.  If we see hordes the way we are expecting too, it could be huge.  

You could use it instead of the Rip Toof fist, so you're only giving up 1 attack.  

That big pie plate base doing mortals on a 5+ to everything within a generous 3" could delete a LOT of infantry, followed up with the 8 + D3 normal attacks.

The best thing is, you can nominate to use it instead of one of your weapons, or not - you choose.  If you did want to use the -2 rend for some reason (an enemy hero might actually have a mortal save that's better than a normal save -2 rend) you can still nominate to use the Rip Toof.

Archived