2k Competetive Kunnin' Rukk Nonsense

CharnelChimera

I'm trying to pin down my list for Adepticon this year and I'm torn between a few lines of thought. I'm hoping I can get some feedback and pick your brains a little.

Artifacts and traits will be rolled randomly, which actually made me shy away from pure Bonesplitterz. I figure the reliability of being able to move is better than taking a ton of wizards and hoping for the 3 spells in the lore that are worth anything, let alone getting doubles of a spell.

List 1.

Kunnin' Rukk - 60

10 Savage Orcs, Handweapons - 100

40 Arrow Boys - 100

Big Boss - 100

Warboss on Wyvern  - 240 (General)

Warboss on Wyvern - 240

Warboss on Wyvern - 240

Troll Hag - 400

I rather like this list because it gives me a large hero presence for objectives and command ability buffed Bosses on Wyverns seem to be cheaper sidegrades to Colossal Squigs in terms of survivability/average wounds. The problem is that they get blapped by any sort of mortal wound spam rather easily. The Troll Hag is pretty much a Destruction Mournghul and the unique spell feels like it'll go a long way in terms of utility.

List 2:

-Kunnin' Rukk - 60

30 Arrow Boys - 100

Big Boss - 100

-Kunnin' Rukk - 60

30 Arrow Boys - 100

Big Boss - 100

-Teef Rukk - 40

Big Stabbaz - 100

Big Stabbaz - 100

Big Stabbaz - 100

Dreadmaw - 440

The second list gives me some much needed counterplay against mortal wounds and gun lines in the form of the Dreadmaw. The Stabbaz hide in the Savage Orcs and hopefully just hit things out of reach. I've heard good things about them, though I'm not sure how well they'll perform. The army can also come down in 4 drops, which I guess is a consideration. A lack of heroes makes me a little antsy to run it, as does rolling all those dice for the Kunnin' Rukks.

I've been shying away from buying Grots because they don't fit my theme (and would be hard to convert to make them fit a savage theme) and I rather stay away from Beastclaw Raiders on a somewhat ironic personal point of pride despite considering taking 2 Kunnin Rukks. I do have to admit I'm tempted to just get them and run the meta list. :P

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

That could work. I might give that a try.

Alternatively, I could drop a Wyvern and take an Ironfist of 3x5 squads of Brutes. It'd get them into the fight faster but the Grot Shaman would be less useful. Or I could take a 15 man Brute squad with 2 Grot Shamans, which could be useful in other ways. Thoughts on that?

The 15 brutes is a good idea as well.

I don't like the multiple small units of Brutes.  I don't think the extra move in the hero phase makes up for not being able to swing all at once in a combat phase.

Make sure you put inspiring presence on the Brutes in the first battle round if you do this.    

Two grot shamans is great.

I don't like the multiple small units of Brutes.  I don't think the extra move in the hero phase makes up for not being able to swing all at once in a combat phase.

The issue is Battleshock. Kairos summoning a LoC to Zap 3 Brutes off by himself turn one, then a bunch of Skyfires shooting off a few more. Then Kairos changing the Battleshock test of 2 that you rolled to a sweet 6.

On January 29, 2017 at 0:13 PM, Nico said:

The issue is Battleshock. Kairos summoning a LoC to Zap 3 Brutes off by himself turn one, then a bunch of Skyfires shooting off a few more. Then Kairos changing the Battleshock test of 2 that you rolled to a sweet 6.

This.  

If I were taking a Savage Orruk based list, I would probably run a modified version of your second list or a mixed list with Savage Orruks and Ironjawz/Spiderfang.  I think the second list spreads out your enemy target priority, which becomes essential for countering mortal wound spam.  This amens it so that the enemy is more likely to make the wrong decision in any given circumstance.  

On 29/1/2017 at 5:13 PM, Nico said:

32 minutes ago, Thomas Lyons said:

This.  

If I were taking a Savage Orruk based list, I would probably run a modified version of your second list or a mixed list with Savage Orruks and Ironjawz/Spiderfang.  I think the second list spreads out your enemy target priority, which becomes essential for countering mortal wound spam.  This amens it so that the enemy is more likely to make the wrong decision in any given circumstance.  

on this: 15 Brutes and Bruteboss. w/ Inspiring presence gives a 45 wound general with no Battleshock, beats anything Waaagh! can perform and leaves the Warboss to cause chaos without having to limit himself - Tried and tested

Alright, I'm considering doing something like this and leaving the wyvern at home for more casual games. The Bully is there because I can't find a better way to plug up 40 points and another disposable hero for 3pop sounds good.

My alternate train of thought involved keeping the wyvern, but dropping the extra squad of Brutes/Heroes.

Leaders
Savage Big Boss (100)
Savage Big Boss (100)
Orc Bully (40)
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Moonclan Grot Shaman (60)

Battleline
10 x Savage Orruks (100)
10 x Savage Orruks (100)
10 x Savage Orruks (100)
15 x Orruk Brutes (540)
- General

Units
30 x Savage Orruk Arrowboys (300)

Battalions
Kunnin' Rukk (60)
Kunnin' Rukk (60)

Total: 2000/2000

4 minutes ago, CharnelChimera said:

Alright, I'm considering doing something like this and leaving the wyvern at home for more casual games. The Bully is there because I can't find a better way to plug up 40 points and another disposable hero for 3pop sounds good.

My alternate train of thought involved keeping the wyvern, but dropping the extra squad of Brutes/Heroes.

Leaders
Savage Big Boss (100)
Savage Big Boss (100)
Orc Bully (40)
Orruk Warchanter (80)

Battleline
10 x Savage Orruks (100)
10 x Savage Orruks (100)
10 x Savage Orruks (100)
15 x Orruk Brutes (540)
- General

Units

Battalions
Kunnin' Rukk (60)
Kunnin' Rukk (60)

Total: 2000/2000

Looks decent, only weakness is you got nothing that can really take a beating, so you have to make up for that by moving quickly (Rampaging Destroyers) and destroy the opponents' units before they get to kill too many of your dudes (Kunnin' Rukk and Brutes are good for this!) and remember to protect your Arrowboys.

Some people might have an issue with the amount of Arrowboys in your Rukk, but pin cushions don't get to have an opinion!

Good luck with it and let us know how it goes!

on this: 15 Brutes and Bruteboss. w/ Inspiring presence gives a 45 wound general with no Battleshock, beats anything Waaagh! can perform and leaves the Warboss to cause chaos without having to limit himself - Tried and tested

I think it's within the power of DoT to take a single drop army or a two drop army (which Ironjawz cannot do at all at 2K last time I checked) and zap you to bits before you can put inspiring presence on. Ditto Sylvaneth, ditto Stormcast Eternals.

56 minutes ago, Nico said:

I think it's within the power of DoT to take a single drop army or a two drop army (which Ironjawz cannot do at all at 2K last time I checked) and zap you to bits before you can put inspiring presence on. Ditto Sylvaneth, ditto Stormcast Eternals.

A few factors that has to be in place for the opponent, for this to be an issue:

• Opponent needs to have first turn after deployment (a rough 50/50) to avoid Inspiring Presence on Brutes
  • Requires a drop in first round (sure, why not)
  • Requires removing half (a rough 20+ wounds) of the Brutes with your drop units for this to even matter (DoT, I guess, Stormcasts possibly, Sylvaneth not so much - who deploys 40+ Tree Revenants?)
  • With all the advantages/disadvantages units that can drop has, you'll possibly see 2-3 good players in a tournament playing Stormcasts/DoT right now
    • Requires a Deep strike formation - most lists have this (if you don't you're just being silly)
  • Tactical advantage of a drop in the opponents deploy zone before they've moved is quite low as you'll most likely lose more than you'll kill

Sure, it's possible and I agree with you, just seems relatively unlikely that it'll be a major issue, and I wouldn't build a list around meeting Deep Strike only, cause then you'll lose to Grots 

• Requires removing half (a rough 20+ wounds) of the Brutes with your drop units for this to even matter (DoT, I guess, Stormcasts possibly, Sylvaneth not so much - who deploys 40+ Tree Revenants?)

I would go and read the Let's Chat Sylvaneth thread if that's your only knowledge of how Sylvaneth can hit hard turn one. They are a single drop army normally, so they can always decide to go first vs Ironjawz.

Archived