US Tournaments and member growth

daedalus81

The events forum is absolutely dominated by UK events.  The rare US ones that pop up are very small events.  Aside from the LVO we don't seem to have as much.  Are all of our TOs still over at 9th Age?

I pop over there occasionally to weigh their popularity against our end of it.  They've passed 10,000 members while we're just below 3,500.  Our trajectory is increasing, but we're not back to "normal".  And we will be fighting 40K this year with its huge releases.

I feel like we need more people hosting events and I would love to do it, but I don't have access to the significant amount of terrain required and I am uncertain how to judge the real interest in new events.

Does anyone know of TOs that we can prod back into the scene?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm with you in that I would LOVE to see more US events (particularly in Southwest Florida) - but creating the hype is the challenge.

I attended a local event yesterday (my first in too many years thanks to a a bad career move on my part, but I digress) that was deemed "big" because we managed to get up to 6 people.

But now that I see that there is a scene here, albeit a tiny one.  And that there is a shop here that will promote AoS, I think I'll be shaking off my own rust and finding a way to create some new life for the game down this way.

I will happily keep you apprised as to my progress.

If there are any others in the Tampa/St Pete/Bradenton/Sarasota area interested in helping ke revive the scene, let me know!

We are trying to get some things rolling in New England, but starting off small. I'm hoping to maintain a nice balance between narrative and competitive events.

off the top of my head, we have:

Las Vegas Open

Adepticon

Nova 

Unplugged GT

Captaincon

Templecon

Connecticon

Da Boyz

3 minutes ago, Dez said:

We are trying to get some things rolling in New England, but starting off small. I'm hoping to maintain a nice balance between narrative and competitive events.

Las Vegas Open

Adepticon

Nova 

Unplugged GT

Captaincon

Templecon

Connecticon

Da Boyz

There is also Holy Wars in February (30 person event) and Holy Havok (40 person [20 teams] event) in November.

there are definitely smaller ones popping up all the time with a handful of solid, recurring established bigger events that have been listed above.

i think a pretty substantial difference between the US scene and the UK scene- besides the obvious- we live in a VERY big country and are pretty spread out.  i would be much easier to add fuel to the AoS fire if we were all more geographically closer as a whole.

that being said, the scene does appear to be growing and gaining some significant footing with this solid year which included the General's Handbook under our feet.

i think the problem you'll run into is the anti AOS rhetoric going on more so in the US than in europe. more so the uk. AOS is very much the thing to play, TO's are maybe unwilling to include it due to not wanting to upset 9th age or KOW players and loose numbers of attendees

Being in the uk its hard for me to say, but i think with the growing twitch games workshop channel more people might be drawn to it if GW change their view on stores slightly, allowing stores another computer maybe to broadcast events, asking GW staff if they wouldn't mind opening late/early for events. players/watchers could then strike up more conversations, leading to more games etc, the store will look busier ( and busy looking stores tend to draw in more customers looking to see whats going on ) maybe this is allowed and store managers just don't want to do it. 

in a years time ( i know its a long time ) i suspect the trajectory of AOS with the release of GHB2.0 will dramatically overtake that of 9th age and KOW, considering that they pretty much just ( for lack of better term ) stole a large % of Gw's player base ( which they expected ) and players will drift back towards AOS.

with rob/eddie ( i think ) going to that LVO i suspect it'll draw in larger turnouts for some events once a american broadcast team is set up. 

maybe a youtube channel will have to approach GW and try some sort of official representation 

We have slowly been growing our community back in the SoCal area. We had our first large tournament on Jan 7th with 20 players showing up for a one day event.  In order to get there we had a couple of new TO's doing smaller events of 6-12 players from LA to San Diego. After about 6 months of getting things going regularly in the area two of our TO's have banded together to schedule a Southern California GT for July.

I understand that this area is densely populated and we have about 6 solid FLGS. But I believe it has been the regular scheduling of events in our area together with some 'regulars' that would show up that has built up the community.  If small events pop up in your area I would recommend attending them. Once other players see that AoS is being taken seriously again by FLGS' and there are people playing regularly the community in your area should hopefully grow.

27 minutes ago, daedalus81 said:

Last I knew Unplugged was doing 9th or KoW?  I don't see them mentioning AoS.

You are right, but some of us have been bugging @Jeff Egan behind the scenes and are hopeful :)

Things have been a bit fluctual here in Western MA/North CT, but we finally have a regular group going. It started with just 2 of us a couple months ago and now we are up to 12 and keep growing. I'm hoping we create a big scene again here.

If you want to see more big events, you need more thriving local communities at your FLGS or club, and there's no excuses for not taking that bull by the horns.

Also - if you are a TO, for any size event, and you post your event in national/international forums, PLEASE include metro area and state prominently in the title of your thread.

2 hours ago, daedalus81 said:

Last I knew Unplugged was doing 9th or KoW?  I don't see them mentioning AoS.  Aside from Adepticon and LVO I have no idea where to locate those others and it seems odd that they wouldn't communicate the schedules here.

Both Holy Wars and Holy Havok are in the Greater Chicago area.  That said, I think both sold out within 24 hours.

3 hours ago, Dez said:

Las Vegas Open

Adepticon

Nova 

Unplugged GT

Captaincon

Templecon

Connecticon

Da Boyz

Where in New England that's where I am based and I am always looking for more events to go to!

I feel like I was out of the loop a lot, but Texas was a massive black hole for miniature games of any sort. I think Dallas has a convention that I heard about, but that was it.

Course, I live about 4-5 hours from any of the big cities (DFW, San Antonio, H-Tizzle, and because war gaming fits the "weird bill", Austin) that would host anything anyway, so I don't expect to be the first to know anyway.

As far as T9A in the same area, OKC appears to be the only city hosting a Con in the area. I only know that because I signed up for T9A's tournament team and haven't done anything (there's been nothing, and T9A has quickly gone out of style for me).

So basically if anyone else is here in this massive tract of land we call Texas, PM me if you know of a Texas AoS group. Otherwise, PM me and let's get one started.

And from what I can tell, the Midwest is really the US center of Tabletop Gaming.

Chicagoland has a handful of small casual groups, but not so much a competitive scene. I've tried to run a couple but not many people have shown, and no real sign of wanting to pursue "competition" more than a random event here or there. 

That said, I have been helping a big name in the competitive 40k scene to learn AoS, so maybe we'll see more in the future. 

Waaaghpaca is this weekend. It is 3 single day events (30 players) over the course of what has become more of a convention rather than one large GT.

Holy Wars is about 30 players (and it's mirror Holy Havoc) in Feb.

Adepticon in March is over 100 players currently.

Blood in the Sun in June was a 30 player GT last year. Hopefully something replaces it this year.

I have a feeling Alex G may run Scr3w City GT again this year. It was supposed to come back last year but had venue issues.

(these are all midwest events I have attended)

8 hours ago, SuperHappyTime said:

And from what I can tell, the Midwest is really the US center of Tabletop Gaming.

I am getting the same feeling. It also sounds like some places near SoCal and up around Washington state are seeing growth but over in New England and the East Coast it seems like there are players just no tournaments or events larger than a weekly night.

14 hours ago, Bosmer Nightblade said:

Maybe get in touch with some of the US podcasts? Mortal Realms was a great one. What about garagehammer, is that still going?

Also; "member growth" :D

Podcasts have mostly dropped off due to the change from WHFB to AoS.  The ones that stuck around have switched games.  We have covered it a bit on my podcast but we focus on ALL games.

33 minutes ago, AAL said:

I am getting the same feeling. It also sounds like some places near SoCal and up around Washington state are seeing growth but over in New England and the East Coast it seems like there are players just no tournaments or events larger than a weekly night.

Traffic patterns have quite a lot to do with that.

Take Atlanta:  the biggest game store in the state is 24 miles away from me.  On a good day it takes me an hour to get there on the interstate.

wow - i really feel bad for you yanks.

I used to watch the battlereports of Malorian and OnceBitten on youTube and would marvel that for them it was "normal" to drive 7 hours to a two day tournament...for me if its further than 2 hours i'm probably out...

I'm in Chicago, and there is definitely a strong gaming scene here, but not for AoS yet. 

I know some of the bigger thought-leaders/influencers here (most have been friends for many years), and with very few exceptions, they are staunchly 9th Age advocates. They simply have not given AoS a fair shake and have no plans to do so. 

If there are any others in the Tampa/St Pete/Bradenton/Sarasota area interested in helping ke revive the scene, let me know!

Crucible is coming up at the end of March in Orlando. It's largely 40k and other systems but there are also AoS tournaments all three days. I can't speak to how large the AoS portion will be, since this will be my first year attending and the first year they've tacked on AoS, but I'm expecting a pretty large pool of players.
http://crucibleorlando.com

I live in Gainesville and we have a small community that's quickly gaining momentum here. A bunch of us will be at Crucible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Archived