Painting my Sylvaneth

Nick in York

I started teaching myself how to to paint miniatures in a more commited way about 6 months ago for the Sylvaneth army I'm building. I had painted a couple of historical minis over the previous 2 years but without concerted effort.

Today I entered a painting competition at my local GW store. It was won by @Soulsmith and I got a staff pick "honourable mention" particularly for my basing.

I thought I'd share the pics, taken by the staff of GW York UK. I welcome any comments and advice.

FB_IMG_1485036902917.jpg

FB_IMG_1485036913276.jpg

FB_IMG_1485036921600.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice work Nick! Well deserved honourable mention, and for a 2nd time blending that's mighty impressive. I especially like those on the legs.

As for advice, Faces and bases is a common adage, and I think you've got the bases done well. For the face which should be a focal point, I think the lack of glowing eyes or extra highlights around the sockets let's it down a bit. (although it could be a camera trick making the lower half look brighter)

1 hour ago, Thornshield said:

Nice work Nick! Well deserved honourable mention, and for a 2nd time blending that's mighty impressive. I especially like those on the legs.

As for advice, Faces and bases is a common adage, and I think you've got the bases done well. For the face which should be a focal point, I think the lack of glowing eyes or extra highlights around the sockets let's it down a bit. (although it could be a camera trick making the lower half look brighter)

Thank you. And the legs are were done by layering various shades of brown/dark grey with a few washes and then drybrushing with the grey extremely desaturated.

Re the face: Yeah, I agree. After I finished this I did a Spirit of Durthu which I think I did a better job on. I want my whole army to have a hollow/black eyed look but realise that means I have to focus even more on face highlights. I had already gone back to the face on this one to pick it out a bit more as originally the whole face seemed to disappear when looked at from a distance - even more so than it does now! It is something I need to work on a bit more; non-drybrushing edgehighlighting in general.

My SoD is here:

FB_IMG_1485042738835.jpg

Great stuff he looks dark and brooding, very cool, I love the wolves on the base.  

For some feedback I'd say you could maybe consider adding a bright intrigue spot colour like a bright but subtle glow colour coming from the eyes and tattoo engraving things.

17 minutes ago, HadrielCaine said:

Really nice colours. Good work. Where are the dogs on the base from? They're super cute. I like the black abyss in the eyes. Don't usually see that as everyone is obsessed with OSL.

I think the wolves are from Warlord Games. I originally planned to use them for a historical diorama but they weren't the same scale as the other minis.

59 minutes ago, Soulsmith said:

One thing, are your base rims black? I think it would be better to paint them brown, something warm to match the rest of the colour palette.

Yeah, they are black - to match the hollow eyes and glyphs etc. I did try out doing them brown but preferred the contrast the black gives. Also, there is a layer of blacky brown soil scatter on the base which fits better with black rims.

Holy smokes man, these are great.

I really think the wolves were a nice addition to the base, without feeling like a gimmick.

I think your palette choices are interesting and characterful.  By chance, have you painted the bad lady (Drycha) or any of her angry tree-friends (Spite Revs)?

3 hours ago, Callidan said:

What about brightening up the spirits or what ever the blue things are called. They are a little dull. I love the paint job though. Your Sylvaneth arm will look epic if they get as much love as you did on your Tree Lord

I've found the spites and other creatures challenging - both in colour choice and painting technique. It is something I've been working on. I have another load of miniatures built and will start painting them this week - I'll try a few different ideas out on the dryads first.

47 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

Holy smokes man, these are great.

I really think the wolves were a nice addition to the base, without feeling like a gimmick.

I think your palette choices are interesting and characterful.  By chance, have you painted the bad lady (Drycha) or any of her angry tree-friends (Spite Revs)?

I don't have Drycha yet. I am planning on getting her and have already got some ideas in mind for painting her. I currently have on my painting table 12 dryads, 6 Kurnoth Hunters, 5 Tree-Revs and the 6 objective markers I built over this weekend. Once they'll all done I will look at trying to afford to buy Drycha and some Spite-Revs.

9 hours ago, Zephyr said:

Those would be interesting as well.  I mostly wanted to see what you were going to do on those models with more 'skin' and less bark.

Keep up the good work.

Yeah - I have some ideas that Ibwant to experiment with. Some maybe bwyond my skill level atm.

28 minutes ago, Nick in York said:

Yeah - I have some ideas that Ibwant to experiment with. Some maybe bwyond my skill level atm.

If you ever have the time and want to tackle something challenging, try and book yourself in to paint in store when Tom is in. I don't mind giving advice but I don't think I'm any better than you are!

Yeah, I might run some things passed Tom - I've already had a chat about some ideas for a potentail future project.

It is literally just a case of each model I'm trying something new and practicing what I already know. I feel like I have layering, drybrushing and using various washes down and that I could tackle wet blending again if I'm in the right mood. I need to improve my brush control for detail, although this is slowly getting there, and I've only done edge highlighting on Spirit of Durthu.

• 3 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Soulsmith said:

I wonder where you got that photo from ;) Really nice work buddy, I personally disagree with the judging but c'est la vie.

Yeah, I should probably credit the pic to GW York. I've tried taking pics at home but don't have the right lighting etc.

I dunno about the judging - those High Elves (or should it be Highborne Aelves now?) looked sweet. I did like both(?) Dwarf units too.

46 minutes ago, DynamicCalories said:

These are great, such lovely detail on what can be quite bland models given that they're all bark. Love the bases too.

Also I have a soft spot for silliness in the often OTT seriousness of AoS, and that own on the branch of the vougeing Dryad is great.

I do try and add something to them as I'm working towards 40 so need a few that have some silliness/character. There is one at the back there that I positioned to look like she isabout to jump. One of the arm options looks to me like it's doing a rude hand gesture - I like to use that too but don't think it is on any of those pictured.

As an aside, the one with the owl is an earlier one I painted - hence the less apparent leaf highlights and messier glyph details. I've also been taking the faces and bases advice with the later ones to highlight and shade the faces a bit more.

Archived