Rule of cool - what's the best model in death?

TerrorPenguin

Not, what's the best for its points or is good on the table, but what's your favourite unit going? 

Mine is probably Mannfred because the model looks ace - I mean wtf is he riding? It's a giant undead horse dragon thing. Also he gives precisely zero ******.

Runner up is probably Heinrich Kemmler because, let's be honest, no one in any other faction could pull off that hat. Heinrich barely can but if you insult him about it he just passes the insult on to a nearby zombie who has a terrible day. 

Whats yours? 

I think death is lacking in attention by GW.

BUT I think the newest wave of death models (end times) were FANTASTIC!

Spirit hosts look amazing, and the mortarchs, morghasts and Nagash are beautiful miniatures.

My favorite death model would have to be Arkhan the Black, it's really unfortunate that his rules are lacking (tbh its sad that all of death is lacking atm).

I'd love to run Arkhan with a bodyguard of morghasts and a coven of casters, but it really isn't viable :(

I absolutely love the Morghast Archai visually! To me, it generally depends on what the owner has done with the model though, rather than the model itself. I love unique and flavourful pieces, what name and rules the creator envisions for them is much less important.

Put it this way: 8th edition warhammer had 15 armybooks:

7 became "order", 1 was discontinued, 3 new armies have been added.

4 became "chaos", 2 new armies have been added

2 became "destruction", 2 new books have been added and the OnG have diversified into about 3 different armies.

2 became "death". 1 was discontinued. 1 "new" book was added, with pretty much nothing new of note.

At this point, I'd say "Order" makes up about half the game. "Chaos" about a quarter. "Destruction" about three-sixteenths. Death is pretty much just one-sixteenth — just Vampire Counts, really.

Guys, I think you might be severely underestimate the quality of skeletons, black knights, grave guard, vargheists, ect.  We have an amazing model line.  Though we do need a once over and some touch ups on some of our older models.  

Black coach, fell bats, bat swarms, zombies mainly.  

But there are factions that are worse off then us honestly.  We only notice it more because or army was the only one lumped into an entire alliance.  Which means we probably can expect gw to make some friends for us eventually.  

And remember the question in the op, what's your favorite model.  Not what models are good sculpts.  Nobody is going to vote for skeletons to be there favorite single sculpt.  You're going to get a lot of single models and characters.

The tomb banshee model is pretty wicked as is the cairn wrath. I'd still really like to see a couple alternate sculpts for these to break up monotony.

Spirit hosts, Morghast are also great as is the whole Death Lords line. (My bets still on them getting the first update)

Deathrattle is still amazing but the scale and lack of dynamic posing is definitely visible. I have 80 skelleys and 10 black knights I never finished and may never because of this....

I also really like the Vargheist models. (Even the two with the odd anatomy wings)

I'm pretty sure Death will always be the last in place for options as there's just not enough room for creative options within the "Death" theme as the other alliances.

And I'm fine with this. They'll get theirs before too long.

As per OP question. I'm going to go Tomb Banshee. It's a great, dynamic sculpt and just feels deathly. The newer stuff is amazing but it's leaning towards a more pg rated death, imo.

Followed by a close 2nd, Black Knights. Again, great sculpts. Very dynamic and just oozes that whole deathly feeling. If that kit was brought up to scale with many new options but keeping the same aesthetic I would squeal like a pig with excitement!

2 hours ago, Darth Alec said:

I find this thread's lack on Nagash... Disturbing.

It's an amazing model. Sure, it's not exactly subtle, but it's presence is YUUUUUGE.

On the smaller size, Krell. Gosh dang what a good model.

Nagash is amazing - I honestly forget about him all the time now as I mostly play matched and he's so difficult to fit into an army!

If I thought I could make Nagash viable in 2000pts without buying around 3000pts' worth of other additional models (or spending a similar amount of money on discontinued models) , I would have bought and painted him already.

As it stands, I'm not about to invest that much time, money, and effort on a model when I know it'll only sit on the shelf indefinitely.

I'm not a big fan of the End Times Death aesthetic tbh, much prefer the traditional VC style. In fact, I'd possibly note Grave Guard or Black Knights as personal favourite designs. For sheer rule of cool, I do love my Terrorgheist though...

Then again, I tend to convert and kitbash proxies for stuff I'm not a big fan of, or customise stuff like Morghasts to suit my vision.

Neferata. Her command ability is great at powerful but inaccurate monsters like dragons. She hits on a 2+ with her attacks. Her spell is great. Her dagger is a great way to finish off a big model she wounded.

She's an elegant, powerful woman and need as many female models as we can get in AoS. Her fluff in her rules is great such as creating a vampire and "contemptuously slaying" a model. She's also great in the Lord of Undeath book. I can't say enough good about her.

My prediction is that we will see more models to fill out our sub factions.  More ethereal host models: New black coach, some ghost units, ect.  More death rattle, more soul blight, ect.

This will give us 4 options in one army.  Maybe even add in a new undead option.  

Just speculation, but I'm pretty sure that makes the most sense.  

I'm a fan of it painted in a Ringwraith style without the skull, but that's just my personal preference.

I've been tempted to get Neferata for a while. She seems like she brings some interesting abilities to the party, and well, contemptuously slaying people's models just seems like too much fun.

1 hour ago, CoffeeGrunt said:

I've been tempted to get Neferata for a while. She seems like she brings some interesting abilities to the party, and well, contemptuously slaying people's models just seems like too much fun.

Funnily enough I was going to throw in Neferata as my model of choice.  Really like how she's a subtle blend of Nagash, Tomb King and Vampire Counts, but mixed together to make her own style, whilst still retaining a feminine quality.

Archived