Furious Retribution interpretation - also applies to other command abilities

chmcclellan

AoS rules interpretation question-

The Lord Cellestant's command ability reads:

Furious Retribution: If this model is your general and uses this ability, then until your next hero phase you can add 1 to the result of any hit rolls in the combat phase for this model and friendly STORMCAST ETERNAL units within 9" of him.

Do you think this means models within 9" when he uses the ability, or models within 9" during the combat phase?

I read it like a bubble that follows the Cellestant because of the phrasing "in the combat phase for this model and friendly STORMCAST ETERNAL units within 9" of him" ie, the 9" applies in the combat phase. Some guys I asked at a local GW think it's the other way.

Thoughts?

The wording is abit ambiguous, but meaning can be gleaned by comparison. If your look at the commanded ability for the anoited you will see that its quite clear its dudes in range specificly in the combat phase, but if you erase the last part of that command ability it should have the same meaning, but be the whole turn instead of just the combat phase.

Same is ture for the Dragon lord, and verman lord warbringer, but both also say when they attack which another qualifier that the lord celestant's warscroll lacks.

One thing that would point to it being not in the hero phase that i think is quite the very good arguement would be the skaven warlord, Vamp Lord, and many other units whose command abilities do not express when they do thier effect, but target a specific unit. 

I think it is this tjat your friends at the GW store were thinking about when they said it was sudes in range during the hero phase.

As this is the most compelling comparison. I would say you only get this buff if you were in range of him when you cast it.This puts the ability in line with other hero phase abilities which could also be consider ambigous.

However, the wording is ambigois enough that id let you have your moving bubble, but i would present this arguement to you and see if you still feel justified in your choice first.

Archived