Destruction Army Without Orruks or Ogors

hobgoblinclub

I've been thinking about starting a small destruction force purely because I love GW's river trolls.  It got me thinking, 'What would a destruction army look like without standard stuff?'

So, if I'm not allowing myself anything with orruks, ogors or grots on it (including ridden monsters) what would I take?  Fimir?  Giants galore?

Thanks in advance!

Troll Hag leading trolls, fimir, giants, sabre tusks? A destruction version of the old Throgg chaos army. 

Fimir look fairly strong as core objective holders. Put them in terrain and they've a 2+ vs shooting. Sabre tusks are nippy grabbers. Trolls and giants do the fighting. Could chuck in an elemental or dragon to taste. Decent enough army. Lacking in specific (awful word) synergies but decent enough and unique I reckon. 

I have a unit of 3 Fimir. Ordered another 3 to convert and boost their size.

Also have a Colossal Squig on its way.

My current idea for a Destruction force:

From the Thurlgr swamps in Ulgu, the Realm of Shadows.

Beasts and monsters that have survived in an endless struggle. Hidden in the shadows, the most powerful creatures eventually rise together and use open gates to explore lands afar.

Nothing can live for long in the Realm of Shadows. Moving to other realms is each species only chance to continue.

This force would be comprised of the strange and wonderful. Minimal in number to represent a smaller invading group appearing from the shadows of left open/forgotten Realm Gates;

• Fimirs...
  • ...led by a Fimir Queen (if FW ever do the model)
  • A Troll Hag who brings the Fimir gifts/prizes in return for arcane secrets
  • A Colossal Squig pet befriend by the Hag and her bag of super tasty swamp fish snacks

...and anything else that takes my fancy and seems fitting. It's likely to be heavy on FW models as they have such character.

I have a Destruction force based on Troll Hag. Basically it's:

Troll Hag, 3xRiver Trolls, 6xTrolls(2dumb2die!), 6xFimir,Giant. This force need some shamans(or other wizards for mystic shields), and some shooting/machines. I've used once the squig Gobba, but he's better on shelf than on battlefield(5+ to hit..).

Wysłane z mojego Classic przy użyciu Tapatalka

The River Trolls are now known as Fellwater Troggoth, and the Troll Hag is also a Fellwater Troggoth!!!

You can edit the Warscoll for Throgg and make all his special abiltiy work for the Fellwater Troggoth only.. And name it Fellwater Prince!

You can even name your warband Sons of the Hags! With a Mother of Fellwater, and her first born the Fellwater Prince!!

5 hours ago, DeadlySarcasm said:

@hobgoblinclub So what's the plan? I'm really really intrigued as I love non-standard armies!

I'm thinking lots of river trolls and maybe a giant or two at the moment. The trolls are pretty much a cert as I can use them in my chaos force too.

Really like the idea of some squig stuff too but, old and new, they seem pretty pricey, and/or involve grots.

I'd definitely be tempted to run a Squig-only force one day for lolz.

Currently I've got 30 Cave Squigs, 30 Squig Hoppers, 2 Manglers Squigs and 1 Colossal Squig. Add a Night Goblin Warboss on Great Cave Squig and a couple of units of Herders, that's 85 SCGT pools.

One more Colossal Squig to make 100 on the dot!

AGE OF SQUIGMAR!

I'm thinking lots of river trolls and maybe a giant or two at the moment. The trolls are pretty much a cert as I can use them in my chaos force too.

Really like the idea of some squig stuff too but, old and new, they seem pretty pricey, and/or involve grots.

If I have to choose I take more regular Trolls (Sourbreath Troggoths), because of the 2dumb2die rule.

Though after FAQ it is a little illogical, because after receiving eg. 20 wounds I have to roll 17x 2dumb2die on one troll instead of killing whole unit and than resurrecting with this ability (as it stands in warscroll "roll a dice for EACH troll" instead as now for ONE troll now)

• 8 months later...
On 5/4/2016 at 7:44 AM, Shane said:

I have a unit of 3 Fimir. Ordered another 3 to convert and boost their size.

Also have a Colossal Squig on its way.

My current idea for a Destruction force:

From the Thurlgr swamps in Ulgu, the Realm of Shadows.

Beasts and monsters that have survived in an endless struggle. Hidden in the shadows, the most powerful creatures eventually rise together and use open gates to explore lands afar.

Nothing can live for long in the Realm of Shadows. Moving to other realms is each species only chance to continue.

This force would be comprised of the strange and wonderful. Minimal in number to represent a smaller invading group appearing from the shadows of left open/forgotten Realm Gates;

• Fimirs...
  • ...led by a Fimir Queen (if FW ever do the model)
  • A Troll Hag who brings the Fimir gifts/prizes in return for arcane secrets
  • A Colossal Squig pet befriend by the Hag and her bag of super tasty swamp fish snacks

...and anything else that takes my fancy and seems fitting. It's likely to be heavy on FW models as they have such character.

Shane, I had pretty much the same idea of using fimir with a troll hag as a start to a non cookie cutter destruction force.  I'm looking to do the same with a monstrous chaos force with skaarac , loads of khorgoraths, a chimera and maybe and a skin wolf or two.

Question, 

Is there anything which will allow the units to work together, or are there anything which will affect all destruction keyword for instance, not knowing anything about destruction forces?

Archived