Terrain and it's roll in the game

Kuwanger23

Question

So as far add I can tell a unit gets +1 to it's save against tabbed attacks if the entire unit is within the terrain feature.  

So almost never for infantry but often for single models.  

Is there anything else about terrain that effects the game other than blocking los?

Unless it had already been changed, I think maybe the bonus to your save should work like every other aoe buff in the game that effects models in the area.  For example, the standard from my wight king gives a 6+ save to models in the area.  So I can take saves on these models first if I choose rather than models not in the aoe.

3 answers to this question

Your solution wouldn't work because saves occur before damage allocation; you don't pick which models are making a saving throw.

Entire unit must be on or in a terrain feature to gain +1 to save roll.
Terrain blocks LoS, but the two aren't linked - so even a completely exposed model can gain +1 cover save, while an obscured model might not.
Hills / cliffs are considered part of the battlefield, not terrain (FAQ).
Hedges / linear obstacles have their own rules for providing cover detailed on the scenery warscrolls.

Bear in mind, all of the above are strict rule application.
If your group decide they think elements of it need changing, change them.
(One I have seen for example is that if the only models that can be targeted in a unit are in cover, whole unit counts as having it).

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

There's actually a "scenery table" in the core rules that adds additional terrain effects, but a lot of players choose to ignore it.

Likewise, there's a whole compendium dedicated to different types of scenery with different rules, which most players just don't bother with.

The problem with allocating before saves is that damage is determined after saves. For example, suppose my skeletons are trying to save against an attack with damage 3 — if I choose to take saves on a model in cover, and fail, do all three models removed need to be ones that were in cover, or only one of them? What happens if I only had one model in cover? The Wight King is different because it's applied after damage is determined.

If you feel terrain is not affecting your games enough, and you don't want to use the scenery table or the scenery compendium, another option is to simply have more terrain on the table — especially big areas that whole infantry units can easily fit within.

Another option would be to house-rule scenery to provide the cover save bonus if the majority of the unit are in cover, rather than all of them. This can encourage players to some odd positioning, though.

Or you could rule that drawing LoS through cover means you gain a save — though that could slow the game down if it means some of a unit's attacks grant cover while others don't.

Archived