Rusted faith - A tale of chaos, khorne and the damned

Kaleb Daark

Hi All.  Running in tandem with my beloved chaos dwarfs, I decided to dust off my old chaos warriors army.  A good majority was foolishly sold in the era of ragequit, but what I have is now looking to be re-based at some point and re-purposed.  @uselesswizard thanks for the inspirational thread which made me start to look to khorne again.

These slaves to darkness were not always so. They were once a proud brotherhood of knights from an ancient place that was no longer a place, from a time that was no longer a time, before the end of times.

Cobalt Stargazer ; Sorcerer, Binder of Wills

36358326974_07b89873e7_c.jpg 

36358327244_76d0dae453_c.jpg

The Anointed ; Silently they march, relentless they slaughter, they seek only the silence, to make the eternal voice of shrieking rage and the drums inside their heads stop, both heralds, leading them to unending eternal slaughter  (in the world that was... I'm not looking forward to rebasing this lot!)

37058775241_d24a9dcfd2_c.jpg

The eternal unending rage that shrieks and tears inside their mind...
36358326614_ab8464ae7f_c.jpg

The Drum which beats unending, unrelenting...
36358325854_daa97fb2af_c.jpg

36358326134_4b83c6be8e_c.jpg

36358325554_d19a6a2c5c_c.jpg

The rage fuelled slaughter wreaked by a weapon which requires the strength and will only a lord of slaughter can muster.
36358325414_5130391f74_c.jpg 

36358325154_cfc7a1521f_c.jpg

37195046865_f22878b1cb_c.jpg

The stargazer grips his staff, eldritch flame form around where his hand falls, his thought transcends time and space "Blood will flow, harvesting skulls for the skull throne, yet my eternal master I have yet to see why the blood god would let his lord of war so easily accept me. What great web is this you weave?"

The ground splintered as a cloven hoof settled upon it next to the sorcerer. The great brass skulls chained to the ancient blade forged in the heat of a bloodthirster's dying rage lay on the floor.  The stargazer looked up to the beast, the despoiler, twas more than time itself since his man form was left behind in the service of rage incarnate.

"What is your bidding my master?"

"The Gorehunt chase the frost lords in the realms of eternal winter.   The handmaiden of my master, the Fury Eternal leads them. They must not be allow them to fail".

"Then we march..."

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eroneus Balbadron had once been his name. Steeped in the infamy of his great grandfather, his namesake.  He always had been the one who had to always prove himself, always try that bit harder... always have to make up for the sins of his blood.

His hatred simmered like a festering wound deep inside him, it drove him, it made his succeed in battle it made him victorious.  But like his namesake his brooding temper was never far from the surface. Only in battle did he find succor.  And in the darkest of days did he hear it. The whispering in the back of his mind, the comfort that guided him and advised him like some echo of clarity it the blooded haze, and there in the filth and broken dreams of his now ruined ancestral castle in the damned city of Mousillon did he see a solitary figure, always one step ahead and eluding him.  It walked to a long abandoned grotto - he'd never seen this place, despite knowing every inch like the back of his hand.

Under bellows of rage, commanding him to stop and reveal himself the figure ignored him, descending down a broken stone stair.

Descending within the figure turned.

"Who are you? - declare yourself"

The figure stood motionless, cowled. it was holding a blooded great flail cleaver.

Eroneus struck with his broadsword, rage welling.   The blade smashed through the figure.  The clamour of falling armour echoed unnaturally about the chamber.  How can this be? it was but a wooden armour stand.  As the skies roiled with unnatural light up above he saw nothing but the mask.

Somehow it called to him, the voice growing ever stronger.  The cacophony rose to a skull splitting crescendo in his mind, as he saw worlds rend, empire fall,  succumbing to the red redemption - purging and purifying through blood.  The mask seared his face as he pressed it against his skin. 

It was the last time that he would ever see a sunset with his own eyes.  It was the last time he would know what fresh air smelt like, as from that moment on all he would smell was the stench of blood and battle.

The mask had no eyes.  He did not need eyes to see - just his hate, his rage, his lust to undo all that the false gods had laid down, Sigmar, the lady, they were the true chaos - they would sacrifice legions in their name and the fools would love them for it.

As their world tore asunder, he guided his men to their eternal damnation.  All they heard was the sound of a beating drum, a call to war.  The only sun they would ever see was through the red mist of battle eternal.  Locked inside their steel prisons, they longed for the salvation of the blade, to meet an end by the hand of a worthy foe.  Till then, the heads of lesser men would adorn the skull throne. 

37005060136_97e6cb2aac_z.jpg

37005059186_ac48195721_z.jpg

37005058106_9a034a8baa_c.jpg

36358334844_1e2e54e7c7_z.jpg

Some WIP shots of Eroneus exalted, centuries have passed and he is well on the way to daemonhood.

36797755110_8437272c3f_c.jpg

36797754530_b0fc15bcd4_c.jpg

36797753930_af78d95edb_c.jpg

he ended up being way to big for his original mount..

37195114445_3c29a70395_c.jpg

37195114585_778fd3ca12_c.jpg

So a suitable alternative was made.  I always hated the original chimera model, so lets just say there wa a huge amount of hack sawing and greenstuffing involved...

37195121095_5228784037_c.jpg

37195120525_a00f7745e0_c.jpg

In the end it turned into this... with the help of balrog wings.

36386710023_6b2ac701d5_c.jpg

I was going to have the herald as its handler but it makes more sense for him to make way for a new master.

1 hour ago, Thornshield said:

Great stuff, thanks for sharing! Will you be rebasing to rounds? It will really showcase them well as characterful individual models.

Yes indeed, I'm definitely taking the plunge into rounds for them. Thanks for the comments, glad you like them.

if only I hadn't sold most of it on rage quit, I had a twenty four model strong brass stampede and some really nicely done Slaanesh conversions that I let go of :(

• 4 weeks later...

So I whipped out and blew off the dust to my Slaves of Darkness and from the frozen wastes of the mortal realm they march.

I've started with a box of Khorne Skullreapers, I'm toying with chopping them with either gors or regular marauders to make up the numbers which will become a forty strong unit of marauders - once I find a metric ton of marauder shields and marauder / warrior heads  for sale!  

Defenders of the wilted flower vase...

36809163300_a2b504e52f_z.jpg

I'm going to use Bestigor bodies as the great weapon chaos warriors and will work in nicely with helicopter psychopath lord. Again I need warrior or knight helmets and shields, bolstering the warrior unit to 40 - I only work in multiples of 8!
I now really regret throwing away and selling off most of my fantasy bits and models based on a lot of negativity and a ****** starter box experience of AoS.

36809160140_9e2a63008a_z.jpg

Warshrine/ mammoth has got a new lower mouth and will get a coat of shield armour as soon as I get a ton of shields- I've found about twelve or so from a bits site, I'm hoping to get more to equip the reapers also.

A huge mention to @Johnston818 for the maggoth spares that made this possible.
36809157330_b65d5931b8_z.jpg

Khorgoraths, who's face actually looks quite brutal when you chop the horns off I thought
37016650846_cf78f9b7db_z.jpg
37016649786_e702574379_z.jpg

The army is slowly mutating with Khorne's blessing becoming more bestial as time goes on.  There will be skin wolves in this rabble at some point when my pocket allows, even though they can't be marked they just fit this theme as would a war mammoth.

29 minutes ago, DynamicCalories said:

All your work is amazing but that banner is EXCEPTIONAL, such an amazing idea executed to absolute perfection.  How did you do the blood? was it with a glue gun or the melting plastic method?

The blood on the banner was very easy,

Fishing line and nail varnish and then tamiya clear red.

You want the nail varnish to be at the stage when female types are ready to throw it in the bin as its too gloopy for them - at this point its just right for you.

Glue the fishing line onto the item, then just drag the nail varnish along it and it will run don it and for a globule.  when that's dry use the clear red to do the magic.  If i'd have had a hot melt gun perhaps I would have used that but it's pretty much working with what I had a the time. :)

• 1 month later...

I've been collecting shields like there's no tomorrow at the moment!  @Double Misfire thanks for all your help this far :)

In the mean time, I was thinking a lot about the slaves to darkness army and through a lot of searching I have a new model to balance out the warshrine conversion.  With the amount of reavers and warriors I have this is very much turning into a big foot slogging horde.

Anyway a new model say I...

37194928645_de3ac1c2a1_z.jpg

He's definitely a big old slug of resin, and looking at him I get the feeling he was probably discontinued because he is a mould wrecker through and through. First step was to get a big disc of corse sand paper and flatten the pads on his feet so he could stand upright without wobble.

37194927815_0783097ddf_z.jpg

I did the same thing to his tusks and the underside of the Marauder hero's throne dias in the howdah, although I see a darkoath chieftain standing on that instead. The dias now sits level on the howdah, which we'll come to shortly.

37052911851_f961be1247_z.jpg

In order to make the tusks fit nicer and prepare for bonding, myself, Mr pencil grinder and a 3mm carbide burr decided to play dentist on the tusk and trunk mounting faces.  The tusks and the trunk were then rebated in order to fit better into the cavities.

37023153462_1d73f333e3_z.jpg

37023148402_5d35c7da83_z.jpg

The Howdah was very tight on his back, so me and Mr clamp got to work, the idea being that the tension would be released when I applied heat to the resin- after which the howdah sits a lot nicer.

37023149562_a5ae15927d_z.jpg

37023149222_f4c89fa00c_z.jpg

next will be the deflashing, pinning and bonding of the tusks and spikes, and sorting out any repairs or little delicate conversion mods :)

oh and the reaver count has gone up to 80!!!

Thank you for the two new organ guns. You are now persona non grata with my regular gaming group. (not really a bad thing, they're a very whingy bunch when it comes to anything that can kill stuff from more than about 8" away) :D 

I can't wait to see your take on the war mammoth. Planning to convert it at all? I always felt the dude on the throne could do with a good Conanifying.

QtnzPZy.jpg

53 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

Thank you for the two new organ guns. You are now persona non grata with my regular gaming group. (not really a bad thing, they're a very whingy bunch when it comes to anything that can kill stuff from more than about 8" away) :D 

I can't wait to see your take on the war mammoth. Planning to convert it at all? I always felt the dude on the throne could do with a good Conanifying.

QtnzPZy.jpg

I thought exactly the same.  My group bellyaches the same when I pull out the chaos dwarfs :D

the throne definitely will need some work as it's a bit too weedy for me, like a dining room chair rather than the throne of a chieftain who can command a mammoth.

I can see me painting up Wulfrik at this rate and cobbling together a Seafang!

The warshrine is also coming along nicely.  I'm still not sure about the shield armour, despite it working out so nicely in my head.

What do you guys think?

Thanks again and big shout to @Double Misfire and @Johnston818 for helping me get this far with it...

37023146712_529cc5f724_z.jpg

37023147202_f5b0001b70_c.jpg

37023146362_ab0c458527_c.jpg

and the alter platform.  I'm looking to use either a dark emissary as the shrine master or alternatively I have a citadel sauron on his throne from back in the 80's :)  I want the shrine platform to be a war alter come command platform looking thingamy.  (bray shaman for size reference)

37023144532_b6d9c65bb1_c.jpg

And a size comparison between this and the mammoth just so you can get a feel for just how chunky the mammoth is, and now a Khorgorath has come along to see what all the fuss is about..

37023145142_9df961d035_c.jpg

There's still a lot of work to do on both of them.  The shrine needs the shackles binding his arms and hands to the platform done. I'm either going to do chains or perhaps bolts or spikes nailing him to the platform through his wrists.

The mammoth needs a lot of tidying and detailing still  before I'm happy to undercoat.  I might well embellish the howdah with some of the larger shields like ogre shields or the stormcast numbers.

Archived