Dwarf list advice Going from 1k to 1.5k

fartsocks

Here's the 1000 point list I've been using for a few games. I want to bump it up to 1500 points, and below I'll list the options I have. Mainly looking for what to add to get to 1500, but any thoughts on my original list also welcome.

Leaders
Warden King (120)
Runelord (80)
Dwarf Engineer (80)

Battleline
20 x Dwarf Warriors (200)
10 x Dwarf Warriors (100)

Units
10 x Hammerers (200)
10 x Quarrellers (120)

War Machines
Organ Gun (120)

Total: 1020

Reinforcements:

Leaders
Runelord (80) (another one)
Ungrim Ironfist The Slayer King (100) (not based yet, which is why he's not in my original list)
Unforged (100)

Battleline
10 x Longbeards (140)

Units
5 x Slayers (60)

War Machines
Flame Cannon (200)
Cannon (180)

Possible High Elf allies:

Leaders
Alith Anar, The Shadow King (120)
Teclis (200)

Battleline
10 x High Elf Spearmen (80) (got loads of these and loads of archers)
10 x Shadow Warriors (200)

Units
1 x Great Eagles (60)
10 x High Elf Archers (100)

Some general thoughts for either competitive or casual.

10 quarellers by themselves arent doing much for you. If you are willing to use aelves, i would replace them with 2 eagles for better objective runners, or aelf archers for better shooting (get to do double shots once per game even at only 10) and it costs 20pts fewer. Or even just drop them altogether and let artillery cover shooting, giving you those points to spend elsewhere. 

Adding Ungrim and longbeards can only make for positive things when used in combination (their grumble allows non general's command abilities)

A second runelord is always a good thing.

The flame cannon is one of the most reliable sources of mortal wounds ever. 

I tend to agree with volund

but just some extra add. If you're going competitive take warriors only 10 man and drop the hammerers saving you 300 points to take a big unit of quarrelers 30 able to shoot 60 shots.

Also take bugman and maybe an extra 20 quarrelers so you can take points pop up where you want. A little note Bugman does not need to pop up in the same location as his rangers so you can pop them up 1 place and he can pop up some where else RAW.

Here is my 1500 point army I'm working on

Rune lord (leader)

rune lord

Bugman

grim burlockson

battle line:

warriors x 10 full command GW shield 

Other:

quarrelers x 30

quarrelers x 20

gryph hounds

warmachine:

organ gun

cannon 

points 1500/1500

This is a fairly competitive list :) 

Oh yeah. Taking 30 quarrellers is definitely a fun thing to do casually, and an effecient use of points competitively, but i was trying to stick within the list of what he said was available just because i didnt know what was limiting him to that list. So i figured if he was interested in growing outside of the "available" list he would already be running 20 quarrellers instead of the OG and the second runelord instead of the engineer

2 hours ago, Bimli said:

I tend to agree with volund

but just some extra add. If you're going competitive take warriors only 10 man and drop the hammerers saving you 300 points to take a big unit of quarrelers 30 able to shoot 60 shots.

Also take bugman and maybe an extra 20 quarrelers so you can take points pop up where you want. A little note Bugman does not need to pop up in the same location as his rangers so you can pop them up 1 place and he can pop up some where else RAW.

Here is my 1500 point army I'm working on

Rune lord (leader)

rune lord

Bugman

grim burlockson

battle line:

Other:

quarrelers x 30

quarrelers x 20

gryph hounds

warmachine:

organ gun

cannon 

points 1500/1500

This is a fairly competitive list :) 

Hello!  I was wondering if your opponents have fun playing against a list with so much shooting.  I have always loved "Duardin" but avoided them in WHFB except for Mordheim and skirmish games because the gun lines didn't seem like much fun to play with or against.  

I haven't played enough AOS to know how a list like this plays out in an actual game of AOS.

16 hours ago, Warboss Gorbolg said:

Hello!  I was wondering if your opponents have fun playing against a list with so much shooting.  I have always loved "Duardin" but avoided them in WHFB except for Mordheim and skirmish games because the gun lines didn't seem like much fun to play with or against.  

I haven't played enough AOS to know how a list like this plays out in an actual game of AOS.

My play group is a competitive one so we basically try to make the best all comers list and try our metal against one another. The fun aspect is always there as we try and make tourney lists.

Don't get me wrong if I was going to play someone and they asked for a casual game more thematic I would probably use another list but that doesn't happen all to much within my play group and the peeps I tend to face off against. :)

I feel if your going to use an army sticking to their strength is the way to go unfortunately for dispossessed players our units tend to be on the higher costed side to be honest a little to expensive if you look at other armies so GW has basically done what it did in the last edition made some units just not worth it. Id like to take hammerers but 200 point for 10 aint right id love to take iron drakes but for 220 points that just to much. Use dwarfs have to much working against us so I use what is cost effective and able to actually stand a chance against some of the big boy armies in aos. 

If you look at sylvaneth, orks, scaven, storm cast, and ogers what can dwarfs do against such reckless hate! I say shoot them in the face :) we really got no chance in close combat against any of these armies but shooting now we have the ability to actually stand a chance. 

So regards fun for sure me and my opponents have fun cause there are much more OP lists than this ;) 

Thanks for the responses so far. Just playing casually, and the restrictions are based on the models I have right now.  I see your point about 10 quarrelers not being enough, but I include them because I like them :) Same with the hammerers, I don't like to leave them out because they're my favourite models. My next purchase will probably be a few more quarrelers and possibly Bugman too.

Well then, if you are just looking for a fun "dwarfy" 1500. I would drop the organ gun and replace with cannon (+60). Drop 10 warriors and replace with long beards (+40) add Ungrim, Runelord, flame cannon (+380).

If, conversely, you are looking for advice on what makes good ways to mix. I would replace 20 warriors for spearmen and 10 warriors with longbeards (+0), replace the warden king with Teclis (+80), add ungrim, slayers, eagle, and cannon (+400). 

Of course, this is all based on what you already have and are currently looking to use. As soon as you add more quarrellers to the mix you probably want to adjust the list to make sure they find their way onto the table.

Another thing that is important whatever you bring is to make sure you use it right. Hammerers should always be looking to charge a more elite unit, longbeards should almost never charge and almost always have shields up, etc.

if your going casual then... you should not be using not pointy eared sissy who can't hold his own in a drinking competition... You should use mono dwarfs to strike fear in the hearts of your enemy using metal and armor and axes and hammers!!!!

For casual games Id say stick with a whole dwarfs army its just looks cooler that way and more thematic. Get some iron breakers and some drakes destroy your enemy with dwarfy goodness!

Archived