Competitive Flesh Eaters: Terrorgheist a must?

ChefsDad

Hey guys

So I know using Flesh Eater Courts really limits you in terms of options and power, but I enjoy the theme and look of a specific allegiance.

The more games I play, the more jealous I am of other factions abilities to dish out rend/mortal wounds. I get that the ghoul patrol is powerful in objective based games, as are crypt horrors, but I find the army lacks punch without a dude on a dragon and a terrorgheist, both of which can be very fragile vs shooting, especially on a double turn.

So, do we need to run the terrorgheist? Do we need to run a dude on dragon? Or is weight of attacks enough?

Unfortunately I think the issue with "competitive Flesh Eaters" is that you either have to spam certain things (Deadwatch, or Monsters) or try to drown the enemy in numbers, which while it works well enough is IMHO an awful way to play.  I can't speak too much about competitive because I am awful with my FEC but I had a 1k point game yesterday against a mixed Stormcast/Ogor force, and I went from handily winning to having a good chance at losing the minute my Crypt Haunter Courtier (who was also my general) and Crypt Ghast Courtier were sniped off the board; the only reason I won is because I had a unit of 40 ghouls that was able to overwhelm my opponent with sheer dice (rolling 30+ attacks on average), but that seems to be the key with competitive FEC anyways, you take a ton of Ghouls and try to simply roll so many dice that your opponent fails enough saves, but as soon as your heroes die (which I find to be VERY easy, my opponent had for shooting one Knight-Venator, a unit of 5 Judicators w/bows, an Ogor cannon and 2 Concussors who had the breath attack from the dracoth) your entire army is basically worthless in combat and can't take hits (which I find they can't soak hits anyways, Horrors for example are basically bags of wounds but a 5+ save means that virtually anything that hits them is going to damage them, and 4 wounds isn't that much).

• 2 months later...

Hey, I know I am late but heres my advice anyway ?

I do go for a monster in my competitive 2k list and most of the time I go for the terrorgheist with ghoul king. Why? Because boost him a bit, give him the ring of immortality and plonk him in the middle of the board. You can easily get a 3+save, 5+ against wounds and mortal wounds thanks to his spell and then the death save with ruler of the night so in the end its a nice big 3+/5+/5+ with regeneration d3 per turn and the ring. It makes my opponent shoot at the big monster looking straight at him, ignoring my packs of ghouls and horrors that charge across the board in the monster's wake.

But that is my way of playing it however so you do how you feel tbh. In any case you shouldnt ignore the spells that the ghoul king on zombie dragon or terrorgheist gets you, theyre really awesome and should always be at least one in your army.

Hope it helps,

Archived