How do you do Skeleton Warriors?

Brother Mayhem

Hey all! Hope you're all well and that 2017 is going good thus far..!

I'm looking at taking a break from painting 40k miniatures to paint my fantasy Undead army, most of which is still on its sprues. I'm looking at making a large skeleton core with the 80 odd Skeletons I have, but I have no idea on how to assemble them/ unit sizes.

I have a unit of 40 with spears. How should I build up the other 40? 2x 20? 1x 40? 1x 30 and buy 2 more boxes for another 30 man unit? What should I equip them with too? Sword and shield, or spear and shield?

Cheers all! 

Generally you want all your buffs to go into one unit to be more effective. So players make one big unit for this purpose and then fill the rest of the battle line requirment with skeleton crews of minimum models. Units bigger than 20 needs spear, and units with 10 models go better with swords.

Given the skeleton legion ability it is more efficient to stick to the min or max size. At 40 you will want spears. 30 is suboptimal because it only takes one wound to knock you down a bracket which is a pretty big blow to their combat effectiveness. 

I am assuming you will either be using legion of death or you will be playing tomb kings with that many skels. 

If your shooting for the legion I would run

40 w/ spears 

40 w/ spears 

10 w/ swords (or another 40 for the all in build)

If your going for TK I would run 40 & 40 and chariots plus Setra?? (Seems good but I'm not a TK player)

Archived