Are Witch Hunters remotely viable?

budebear

Great model, although I use the old Mordheim Freelancer for mine! Managed to get him in as my third character in a 1k tournament as he's so cheap, took a key couple of wounds off a vampire Lord (d3 damage pistol for wizard)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've tried very hard since the warscroll compendiums came out to think of a use for the Witch Hunter The best I've been able to muster is that he's a cheap hero you can bulk your quota out with in smaller games if Three Places of Power's on the menu, who might be able to do some damage if you get lucky and your opponent has a model with the wizard keyword that needs to fight on the frontline that you can spend the game chipping wounds off with pistols. :/

Hopefully the new Tzeentch stuff turns out to be gruesomely overpowered and we see a lot more of these guys rocking up!  :D

The greater value I've found is to hold and challenge objectives. It's definitely a last minute option if I have the points spare and I know what scenario and opponent I'm against. 

If I'm playing an opponent with minimal wizards and daemons, I'd rather spend the points on a gryph-hound 

Witch Hunters are super cool, but that warscroll is unremarkable. At least the points are right... almost. Personally, I'd use three or four of them to fill out the rest of my hero slots, and send them on assassination missions against wizards. Three of those guys should be able to take down a wizard without issue.

2 hours ago, Furious said:

Witch Hunters are super cool, but that warscroll is unremarkable. At least the points are right... almost. Personally, I'd use three or four of them to fill out the rest of my hero slots, and send them on assassination missions against wizards. Three of those guys should be able to take down a wizard without issue.

Yeah I think taking a bunch of them is the only option to combat their 5+ save. Instead of the enemy just deciding on a whim to kill my useless hero, he's gunna have to commit 15-20 wounds of damage to do it now

Indeed - it wouldn't seem absurd to spend 180 points on these guys if them came in units of three. It's a good way to get some extra damage in on that Vamp on a Zombie Dragon, or some other such scary monster wizard that isn't that uncommon. But the issue of more drops and character slots is a bit of a letdown.

23 hours ago, Furious said:

Indeed - it wouldn't seem absurd to spend 180 points on these guys if them came in units of three. It's a good way to get some extra damage in on that Vamp on a Zombie Dragon, or some other such scary monster wizard that isn't that uncommon. But the issue of more drops and character slots is a bit of a letdown.

It would totally still not be worth it.. you can get Kurnoths for 180 points.. or 20 of most basic infantty... I mean even 10 handgunners outclass 3 of these by miles.

On 1/13/2017 at 5:36 PM, Aezeal said:

It would totally still not be worth it.. you can get Kurnoths for 180 points.. or 20 of most basic infantty... I mean even 10 handgunners outclass 3 of these by miles.

Yeah but atleast they wouldn't take up hero slots and extra drops..

They don't need to be kurnoth hunter/dracoth rider tier, but just make them -okay- something I can take for the aesthetics but also not just being a complete waste of points

There is actually a viable way to play Witch Hunters.  I'm just starting a Free Peoples army and planning to get some Witch Hunters.  So here's what you do:

Use them in Open Play...that way they won't be a waste of points! :P

'runs and hides in cave'

On 1/13/2017 at 0:36 PM, Aezeal said:

Yeah, that might be true, when you break it down to the numbers. But in that case, why bother with Free People at all? Certainly you can find better units across Order. 

If you want to min/max your army, you might be disappointed with what units you are restricting yourself from using. Obviously things are better than Witch Hunters, but few things are cooler. For me, that's bigger than having the absolute best units.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/17/2017 at 2:53 AM, Kamose said:

There is actually a viable way to play Witch Hunters.  I'm just starting a Free Peoples army and planning to get some Witch Hunters.  So here's what you do:

Use them in Open Play...that way they won't be a waste of points! :P

'runs and hides in cave'

Best...... Post......Ever. 

On 17-1-2017 at 4:25 PM, Furious said:

Yeah, that might be true, when you break it down to the numbers. But in that case, why bother with Free People at all? Certainly you can find better units across Order. 

If you want to min/max your army, you might be disappointed with what units you are restricting yourself from using. Obviously things are better than Witch Hunters, but few things are cooler. For me, that's bigger than having the absolute best units.

Well freeguild has lots of synergy so it's not about a single warscroll. But with a good load of buffs handgunners are good and a witchhunter will still not be as good even with the buffs I think. And even other troops might be preferable.

7 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

Well freeguild has lots of synergy so it's not about a single warscroll. But with a good load of buffs handgunners are good and a witchhunter will still not be as good even with the buffs I think. And even other troops might be preferable.

Yeah for sure, I'm not disagree that of course there's loads of stuff that's better. But honestly, what in Freeguilds is cooler than a MF Witch Hunter? They're the OGs.

Archived