Looks good! 

On the varnish subject I always go matt varnish and occasionally paint a gloss hardcoat on weapons etc and then tape them off for the matt coat. 

The reasons are 1. I play my models and especially the metal ones need protection. 2. Glossy varnish on brighter colors makes it look cartoony to me ( which occasionally really fits but not for my armies) 3. Matt varnish gives a model a bit of grimy/grim realism in my eyes. Which really fits my skaven dark elves and ogres. 

So I would say give Matt varnish a go and check out the difference for yourself ?

Ill have to lool into the matte varnish and see what it does.  I think on the daemons the glossy finish should be fine since they are supposed to shimmer and be otherworldly and whatnot.

I only have the one metal miniature so i am not too concerned about chipping, i wish i had varnished my wood elves back when i had them those metal gladeguard and wardancers went through it.  Same with my skaven now that i think about it.  50 metal stormvermen jangling together ruining weeks of painting.

Any suggestions on the magisters' skintone?  I want them to stand out but i dont want to just paint them blue.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wrote a little backstory to my cult.  Not the best but it explains their motives.

The Arcanite cult known as the Delvers of the Deep are a collection of wandering witch-scholars who actively raid lost ruins for artefacts of power.  They attack at random, seeming to follow no pattern guiding their greater actions. 

TA cult boasting a huge galleria filled with books and scrolls of power as varied as powerful in their magics.  Few members raise to the inner coven that have access to these magic volumes.  Also within these halls are the items of power that resonate with magic from all across the mortal realms and the depths of the realm of Chaos.  These are the true value of the galleria and are displayed in prominence among the tomes and grimoria. 

The cult is lead by a trio of identical twins who all bowed to the Lord of Change when the Knights of Malachite attacked their homes and slaughtered their people.  The brothers fled to the woods that forbidden to all for the horrors that dwelt within.  Through the rough tangle the fled until the air grew heavy and the trees warped.  Coming into a clearing they beheld a pylon of pure mutating and raw magic.  Trophies of all description surrounded the base and the air reverberated with power.  Humbled by the sight they fell to their knees.  Soon they were surrounded by creatures that appeared out of the woods.  Tall and lean of limb the creatures were vaguely human but with legs and heads of avian creatures bearing weapons of such craftsmanship that they were surely hell-wrought.  About the edges of the clearing daemons cackled and danced  while they spewed mutating flames through the undergrowth.  A horn blew and the flock split to allow a terrifying creature through that bore the semblance of an armored knight with a weapon in each fist.  Out if his back grew a parasite that constantly whispered all the lies the hearer ever spoke.  It approached and offered them a test.  They passed each in their own way, though Tach' nar was burned by a daemon's fire and mutated into avian Tzaangor.  The other two brothers then founded an Arcanite cult the grew in power quickly and returned to retrieve the flux-cairn that prompted their damnation.  There they subjugated the Knights of Malachite and brought many new recruits with every victory they achieved.  Soon the attention of a powerful Lord of Change  came upon their flux-cairn who offered them a proposition, it would help them if they accumulated more powerful magical artefacts to imbue more flux-cairns in the mortal realms. 

The Delvers of the Deep attack suddenly, seeking out vulnerable targets often raiding at night or under concealment.  When the full might of the cult is brought to bear ranks of Chanters of Change conjure up magic flames that lash out at the enemy as daemons caper about the flanks causing a raucous at the head the inner coven hex and curse their enemies as much as burning them in daemonic fire. Once the battle is quit the surviving cultists return to gather what artefacts of value can be salvaged.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Not much progress on either army.  The tzeentch army is on the back burner for now.  So far i have tree revenants and irondrakes put together and some liberators and terradons on the sprue.  I also have a few other projects on the way but this order army has my eye for now.

20171212_131819.jpg

I have the order army put together and primed.  This is kind of an amalgamation of my sylvaneth and what my wife got me for christmas.  I think its an excellent start towards the idea i has for the Hysh army but with my unknowing wife picking out random sets she thought were cool that lead to this cool little army.

So far it is

1 sorceress

1 dark emissary (battlemageof beasts)

15 dryads

10 liberators

10 irondrakes

5 tree-revenants

5 sisters of the thorn

3 terradon riders

To finish it id like a sylvaneth start collecting box for the 30 dryads and the spirit of durthu which i must have thanks to The Splintered by Rob Sanders.  A few of the dryads and sisters got chewed up by our new puppy so they have a few problems.

Any suggestions on color schemes?

20171218_134122.jpg

20171218_134156.jpg

20171218_134228.jpg

20171218_134249.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have made good progress on the sylvaneth.  They still need to get cleaned up but they are based atleast.  I play tested a game last night and man do acolytes have a ridiculous turn with shooting and melee.  As ever stormcasts prove their worth.  The unit champion wiped out half a unit of tzaangors  over two turns.  Here are some army shots and pictures of based units.

20180222_122228.jpg

20180222_122234.jpg

20180222_122241.jpg

20180222_122721.jpg

20180222_123117.jpg

20180222_123036.jpg

20180222_123019.jpg

Archived