With the upcoming Disciples of Tzeentch release looming, I decided to get back into Age of Sigmar with a new army.  

You may have seen my old Astral Templars on Warseer at one time but unfortunately they had to be sold because of financial difficulties.  As things have gotten better I have gone back and forth on what game I want to collect and decided to go back to my roots in Warhammer and build a Host of Tzeentch; the first Warhammer army I made back in 2003.  

It's been a long time since the days of hunchies and when the first multipart plastic beastmen set came out.

When the Tzaangors box was released with the Thousand Sons I knew the arcanites where coming and I took the plunge.

These Tzaangors aren't completely done but they are a good show of where I will be going with them and the army as a whole. 

20170110_180129.jpg

20170110_180150.jpg

20170110_180138.jpg

@ doublemisfire, the undercoat was a white spray paint I got at Walmart that got kind of old and the bases didn't get covered completely.  It even clumped up and kind of ruined one side of the brayhorn guy.  I love the sword and shield load out it looks so cool. 

Thanks for the compliments guys, one more session of painting should see them finished.  I'm thinking of small highlights of blue or cream color should do the trick on the skin.  

I can't wait to see how big the enlightened tzaangors and sky fires are.  Itso difficult to tell in the pictures but if the base in the attached picture is 40mm then they are gonna be huge.

tzeentch-2.jpg

On 1/13/2017 at 1:36 AM, Gorthor21 said:

I would love to get the new lord of change when it comes out but it's gonna have to wait.  I intend on it being the centerpiece of the army.  I have a gaunt summoner on the way and soon enough some pink horrors for some dry brushing fun.

Well you are going to have to wait because both the LoC and Kairos Fateweaver are sold out. 

I finished the gaunt summoner with his little familiars.  He was fun to paint but I messed up the feathers on the front.  I did the army black like the Tzaangors which I think looks cool and I might do it across the army. 

I painted up a horror that I had left from the last time I had a chaos army a few years ago.  I had to mix the pink from a white and red.  He turned out alright and I believe they will be the next set I get.  I also took a picture of the dark emissary.

20170121_161904.jpg

20170121_161912.jpg

20170121_161949.jpg

20170121_161957.jpg

20170121_162051.jpg

20170121_162101.jpg

20170121_162111.jpg

20170121_162120.jpg

20170121_162126.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I got a unit of Kairic Acolytes to add the the growing cult.  This is my first attempt at painting skin tones with reikland fleshshade and I am pleased with the results.

The size difference between between the Tzaangors, acolytes, and the gaunt summoner is pronounced in person.

20170213_224057_001.jpg

• 2 months later...

I have made more progress on my acolytes after a long hiatus.  The unit is really fun to paint that is for sure.  I used a different skin tone on a few of them to make a little diversity in their coloration.  I'm still a few details away from having themy completely finished though it should not take too much longer to finish them.

The lighting isn't great but here are some pictures to give an idea of how they are coming along.

We recently moved from Las Vegas to Orlando Florida and getting settled in has taken up a bit of time and kept my funds from the hobby.  If anyone know a good gaming group or a way to find one I would really like to start playing again.  My last game was last summer so I feel quite over due for some carnage.  Hopefully after these guys are finished I will be able to manage some Pink Horrors that I have been dreaming of getting.  

20170419_195652.jpg

20170419_195657.jpg

20170419_195705.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks @Tzaangor Management i wanted to do a scheme closer to the pyrofane cult without the fire tattoos.  

I have a burnt grass looking static grass so the brown makes for a savannah base i think would fit into Ghur quite well.  Ive used it on my Ironjaws when AoS first came out and my Astral Templars after that.  Unforunately both those armies went to way of eBay.

Finally got a couple boxes of horrors.  Should have them primed tomorrow.  The girlfriend is out of town this week so i will have plenty of time to make progress.  I will keep an update of each days work just to see how fast i can get work done.

20170503_000639.jpg

Horror day 2

A total of three hours drybrushing has got my horrors with a good amount of progress.  Next us detailing the teeth and bangles and things with basing in a few more days ahead.  I like the way the brimstone horrors turned out. the blue ones are a little too bright compared to the standard depictions but i think it goes well with the pastel shade of the pink horrors.  Such a fun easy unit to paint after the detailed acolytes. 

20170505_005919.jpg

20170505_005933.jpg

20170505_005943.jpg

Horror day 4

Did the tongues, claws and beaks.  All that remains are a few things that i missed in the batch painting, the bases, and the eyes.  Im not sure what color i want them to be so any suggestions would be appreciated.  My girlfriend is coming back home tomorow so this was a fun distraction to keep my mind from worry.  30 models in 4 days ar this stage of completion seems like a new personal record.  Im pleased with the results and thats what really counts.

20170506_151213.jpg

20170506_151223.jpg

20170506_151229.jpg

I talked with my fiance about what @Menkeroth said about varnish and i bought a spray can from walmart to test it out.  She made a good point about how all my miniatures look unfinished and said the varnish would make the difference.  I tested it on one of the familiars to see what would happen and here are the results.  Im leary about how it looks on the base but the sheen is nice. Please let me know what you guys think before i go ahead and spray the rest of my army.

20170517_213036.jpg

20170517_213042.jpg

20170517_213933.jpg

20170517_213944.jpg

On 10.05.2017 at 4:47 PM, Gorthor21 said:

What varnish wouls you recommend.  The last time i used one was over ten years ago when citadel had a whole different line of paints.

It depends on your goals actually and what scheme do you use. Glossy varnish is very good for dark colors and to make everything look a bit brighter and deep. Matt one, on the other hand, is good for toning down colors a bit and making the model even more ominous and brooding. For example, I used a glossy varnish on my barbarian to make him a bit brighter, especially after a black wash, but my cannon was coated with matt one to make it look even more dark and worn out. My wight king is over all in glossy one as well as then his cloak provides more contrast to his black armor, for example. All in all, varnish is necessary for metallic models and almost necessary for those often touching their models - it protects the paints and guarantees it never leaves the models. 

P.S. GW produces a matt varnish ("Ardcoat I believe) but really any suffices.

• 1 month later...

After quite some time I figured i would just post my updates with Imgur since the website wont load them.

I finished the daemons and tried the varnish on them.  I didnt like it on the bases so i covered them in paper towels.  I like it on the daemons but im unsure of putting it on the rest.

I converted a couple magisters out of acolytes as well.

OCr0tE7.jpg

Q3ypUCu.jpg

RgJGXnP.jpgKYOYact.jpg

rGqaQWh.jpg

Ft7asTo.jpg

Zw9RKzs.jpg

Not sure whats next so stay tuned.

Archived