Exploding attacks pluses and minuses

L.Bromley

Question

10 answers to this question

Im interested more in stopping exploding attacks, so e.g. If a unit normally need a hit roll of a 4+ but does double damage on a six, or Evan mortal wounds on a six, does plus 1 to hit bring down both the the hit roll to a 3, the double dame age to a 5+/mortal wounds on a 5+???

Than would Minus 1 (something like death's cursed book) have the opposite effect and stop the ability for double damage an mortal wounds on a 6  as these would now become 7?

27 minutes ago, BaldoBeardo said:

Yes. FAQ under 'Abilities'.
Modifiers do not affect the actual score required - they modify the dice roll you test against.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

What he said.

People often say things like "With my mystic shield my 4+ save is now a 3+"

Because its easier to say and remember and alot of the time its functionally true. However as Balo said it is usually the dice roll and not the stat that is effected which in some scenarios is an important distinction.

Thats one of the reasons the but things like "If you roll a 6+ cause a mortal wound" if it were the stat that changes it would be pointless putting 6+ (Unless you get an additional D6) the +  allows for the fact that if you have a +1 modifier and roll a 6 you are in fact rolling 7.

1 hour ago, L.Bromley said:

Than would Minus 1 (something like death's cursed book) have the opposite effect and stop the ability for double damage an mortal wounds on a 6  as these would now become 7?

No it's the other way around. (although the effect is the same and therefore people often say it wrong). An example:

My executioner has two attacks with a 3+ to hit. Every six or higher I roll automatically turns into two mortal wounds. I roll a 2 and a 6. This means one attack misses and the other tunrs into two mortal wounds. 

The next turn you apply minus 1 to hit (through death's cursed book). I again roll a 2 and a 6. Your modifier turns my dice into a 1 and a 5. This means one attack misses and one attack hits. As my ability requires me to roll a six, I don't cause any mortal wounds and roll to wound as normal. 

The next turn your minus 1 ability is gone but I apply a +1 to hit. I roll a 5 and a 6. I then add the 1 to hit meaning I have rolled 6 and 7. As my ability turns all sixes or higher into two mortal wounds I would now cause 4 mortal wounds. 

I Hope this helps. 

(the confusion, as other people stated, is that most of the time we subtract the modifier from the to hit score. That way we know what to roll before we roll. I got confused by that as well but once you realise this mistake and check the rules again you see that we were overcomplicating things like you said.)

35 minutes ago, L.Bromley said:

@Kramer thanks a bunch, your example completely cleared it up.

thank you once again

No problem, glad to help. 

22 minutes ago, Arkiham said:

There is also a difference between, 

on a 6+

and 

on a roll of a 6.

The first is modifiable, the 2nd isnt. I'm fairly certain, as it requires a natural roll of a 6 

Yes, i believe you are right and I think they mentioned this in the first? FAQ. It's down to the wording of the skill. But I don't field any units with that wording. But I do think I saw 'on a natural six' somewhere as well. Must be tricky with so many writers and units to keep the wording exactly the same on all those skills. 

4 hours ago, L.Bromley said:

Im interested more in stopping exploding attacks, so e.g. If a unit normally need a hit roll of a 4+ but does double damage on a six, or Evan mortal wounds on a six, does plus 1 to hit bring down both the the hit roll to a 3, the double dame age to a 5+/mortal wounds on a 5+???

Yes! It is super simple, if an ability states when your roll a x+ you get x effect you can lower or raise the value needed with buffs and debuffs. 
Example: Retrebutors do 2 mortal wounds on a hit roll of 6+. If you have a model with death's cursed book within 3" of them they can not hit their 6. The other way around, if there is a huricanum nearby they would only need to roll a 5+ for the mortal wounds. Get them both and your back to a 6+ :D

Archived