Grave Warden's - A Destruction project

Mohojoe

The List:

(For fluff, please check my blog in my signature)

Leaders
Tyrant (160)
- Massive Ogre Club
Butcher (140)

Units
Leadbelchers x 6 (320)
- Gutbusters Battleline
Leadbelchers x 3 (160)
- Gutbusters Battleline
Ogors x 6 (240)
- Battleline
Ogors x 6 (240)
- Battleline
Ogors x 6 (240)
- Battleline
Ogors x 3 (120)
- Battleline

Behemoths
Aleguzzler Gargant (180)
Aleguzzler Gargant (180)

Total: 1980/2000

Now that I have an influx of models, I have decided its time to start building my army, and now I have a semi decent camera phone I thought I would share some progress with you.

Thanks to a sweet trade I set up with @Soulsmith and some amazing inspiration from the very talented @Lysandestolpe I started work on some conversion of my own Gargant today. 

I have Created a sword, shield and shoulder pad out of plasticard ( first time using, fun medium). I have also kitbashed a loincloth from an ardboyz banner, with some slight careful carving to thin it down and to make it fit under the gargants gut. The loincloths plate is a shield from the orruk boss on boar set with the back carved flat. Finally I have also greenstuffed up gaps and started to make a set of green stuff boots as the gargant was lacking feet. There is still some tidying work left to do, however its way late and I want to let things dry hard before i get stuck in. Pretty pleased with the progress, enjoy the pictures :)

582737b1c85828beb87813ece6e343c4.jpgfde4c2a0e8eee17a32b507d1ef6a1e53.jpg08007476078879a7a2ebef40ba99c6ed.jpg26a041e338d647f33a858c3d4ef6dc4d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wow, looking great so far. Make sure you make those feet large as the boots should add extra size above the normal feet size. Only critique I have thus far is to remove him from the base when the greenstuff has set and use a sandpaper on a table or sheet of MDF and correct the angle of which he stand on the  base. Right now he looks unbalanced. (the ears should align in a vertical line to the middle of the feet, at least looking from the front. Looking at the pictures now, you want to tilt him right (his left) so that he is standing more straight and not falling to the left (his right). :)

Using the sandpaper on table (or mdf) method allows for you to get a plane surface under the boot to which the glue can properly adhere the base and figure. :) (I did this twice with my gargant before he stood the way I wanted him to, it's worth the extra time).

Good luck, keep us posted.

13 hours ago, Lysandestolpe said:

wow, looking great so far. Make sure you make those feet large as the boots should add extra size above the normal feet size. Only critique I have thus far is to remove him from the base when the greenstuff has set and use a sandpaper on a table or sheet of MDF and correct the angle of which he stand on the  base. Right now he looks unbalanced. (the ears should align in a vertical line to the middle of the feet, at least looking from the front. Looking at the pictures now, you want to tilt him right (his left) so that he is standing more straight and not falling to the left (his right). :)

Using the sandpaper on table (or mdf) method allows for you to get a plane surface under the boot to which the glue can properly adhere the base and figure. :) (I did this twice with my gargant before he stood the way I wanted him to, it's worth the extra time).

Good luck, keep us posted.

Good advice! About to get started on working on it as I managed to trade for an oval base today. Currently trying to work out how to make the boots look a bit better, I don't have a model saw unfortunately so drastic reposing isn't an option. 

Current aims:

• Buff up the boots, to look chunkier, potentially like old hobnail boots or metal plated sabatons
  • Work on the shield as it looks too static and clean
  • Work on how the sword sits, as at the moment the angle is not perfect
  • Create body armour with plasticard
  • add robe accent to shoulder pad
  • Tidy up loin cloth 

Anyway thanks for reading, will have pictures again soon

This is exactly how you need to think to make the model look right. Well done, I'm getting more excited by your attention to these details.

As for the shield. creating not a square but oval or round, or even just some round shapes will help add movement to it. This is what makes it look static, I believe.

No massive update I am afraid as I have been rushed off my feet with uni and laying some carpets.

I have however reposed the legs and turned the giants club into a fairly convincing peg leg. This will require some green stuff fiddling to make the join look more blended with the trousers fitting around a brace that attaches it to the leg stump. 

I have also Added some battle damage to the shield and some iron plates in an effort to create a less static effect, it does however need sanding and a bit more work. I am having trouble carving a wood grain into it, suggestions would be warmly received.

Finally on some advice from @Lysandestolpe I have sanded the left foot flat on the bottom to help with the characters pose. I have also carved away green stuff to give a less trapezoid shape as it was bugging me and it is now all prepared to be transformed into an armoured hobnail boot.

Cheers for reading guys, until next time...

85724fb3ddd4b23a3d153b00741c404a.jpgc56721ecd2ddf4ee7c72bbebe69f54fc.jpg1574fe9b9ec028aa86c4b5ad15a3ff68.jpg

Not seeing the entire model in any photo, I can still tell he stands straighter and a lot more balanced. I also LOVE the pegleg!

I think the shield arm is problematic because it doesn't really enhance the curves of the model. Without seeing the model in person, I'm uncertain if I can provide a good solution, but here is a decent basic one: (Red is where you cut, Blue is the curve of limbs).

Basically you run the lines parallel to the existing harmonious lines, it enhances the beauty and aesthetics of the model (if this is what you want of course).  I tend to believe that even when you want a clunky chunky model like an Aleguzzler, you'd still want certain things to flow and other to have that clunky chunky feel. The shield in this case I'd prefer the former to the latter. :) I can't wait to see what you do.

85724fb3ddd4b23a3d153b00741c404a.jpegfde4c2a0e8eee17a32b507d1ef6a1e53.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Lysandestolpe said:

Not seeing the entire model in any photo, I can still tell he stands straighter and a lot more balanced. I also LOVE the pegleg!

I think the shield arm is problematic because it doesn't really enhance the curves of the model. Without seeing the model in person, I'm uncertain if I can provide a good solution, but here is a decent basic one: (Red is where you cut, Blue is the curve of limbs).

Basically you run the lines parallel to the existing harmonious lines, it enhances the beauty and aesthetics of the model (if this is what you want of course).  I tend to believe that even when you want a clunky chunky model like an Aleguzzler, you'd still want certain things to flow and other to have that clunky chunky feel. The shield in this case I'd prefer the former to the latter. :) I can't wait to see what you do.

85724fb3ddd4b23a3d153b00741c404a.jpegfde4c2a0e8eee17a32b507d1ef6a1e53.jpeg

Ah I get what you are saying, seems a little tricky to pull off but I will have a play about later, I am currently dealing with 24 hours awake and some serious man flu!

I may entirely rebuild another weapon and shield yet, now I am feeling a bit more confident I have a few new ideas in mind to try

Havent updated in a bit so thought I would post a quick picture of something, 

Below is a picture of my tyrant I am working on, mostly base paints and washes so far, no highlights or detail. I have tinkered about with making the runes in his base glow but it is still very WIP.

I have been painting this guy along with 4 leadbelchers and 13 ogor bulls which I am hoping to have finished for a 1000 point game on friday.

dc0f0782a1ccb6632cfd5b4caa1fed7d.jpg

39 minutes ago, Soulsmith said:

Curious to see how he fits in, differs greatly from the usual ogor! Nice model though, face will look great.

This was a bit of a concern for me too, At the moment with the tournament fast approaching I wont have time to do as much as i would like, but after I am hoping to add a lot of conversion work to my regular bulls to bring them more up to my vision of the clan. I am aiming for more intelligence than the 8th edition incarnation of ogres, however the longer they go without eating the more barbaric and primal they become as an overwhleming hunger takes over. To the point where they will lash out at each other and fall into a cannibalistic feeding frenzy ( Gorger style). I suppose this tyrant shows a more intellectual approach to the ogors and a lot of that has to do with his fluff. He had to be intelligent enough to learn how to speak with Gargants and he plays the role of a sort of gork/mork warrior priest, foretelling events and convincing ogors to follow him into an alien environment for them, and furthermore to stay there, rather than being nomadic like so many other clans. 

Its fun making the fluff up to go with the army, it comes kind of naturally,  but making the models fit afterwards is the real challenge for me.Also I know a lot of people as well will not like 'reimagining' ogors as its heresy!

I think the idea behind them is pretty cool, I reimagined greenskinz a tad so hey, keeps it fresh and personal! Army looks like it's coming on, that's quite the batch. I'd definitely hit the trousers with a wash and then layer though. Interesting box you're posing them with there ;)

I think the idea behind them is pretty cool, I reimagined greenskinz a tad so hey, keeps it fresh and personal! Army looks like it's coming on, that's quite the batch. I'd definitely hit the trousers with a wash and then layer though. Interesting box you're posing them with there [emoji6]

Gonna work a purple layer in tonight hopefully and then gotta do flesh highlights and leather. After that they will hopefully be table top standard and I can focus on all the details.

Sounds good mate. Also, dunno if it's just a style choice but I would rim the base and not keep it drybrushed [emoji4]

Hadn't thought much into it but I think you may be right. Probably just get some black around it to clean it up

Hehe, this will be great fun, keep it up.

Cheers fella, main issue so far is getting it on a stone horn base. I am going to re align the back legs and possibly raise the whole thing up with a pile of rubble to help it fit. Depends how it looks though otherwise it's back to the drawing board

26 minutes ago, Soulsmith said:

Build a big cliff and have it sideways emoji6.png nah but bases are only a guide you could go bigger.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Gave me an idea though, It fits perfectly if i turn the oval base sideways. I dont forsee any issue at tournaments with that and it actually kind of suits it. 

Archived