the 1/2 inch / charging

Sneak

Question

20 answers to this question

I'm pretty sure that if you are 5.5" away and you roll a 5 you fail the charge. You don't get an extra 0.5in of movement.
The 0.5" is just how close the first model has to move to the unit. The rest of the unit can move where they want up to the charge distance they rolled.

You need to get within half an inch for the charge to be successful not in contact ( base to base or model to model)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure that if you are 5.5" away and you roll a 5 you fail the charge. You don't get an extra 0.5in of movement.

The 0.5" is just how close the first model has to move to the unit. The rest of the unit can move where they want up to the charge distance they rolled.

Right but you don't have to finish your charge in base contact, so you can get more models in Base contact at least against big models. If you end your charge in Base contact wit let's say 3 Models you can't Move them anymore. So you kinda block your back line models from piling in propperly.  So you have a Range from 0.01 inch to 0,5 inches to fullfill your charge and being able to pile in propperly. 

1 hour ago, Ratamaplata said:

What I thought... so your post about staying outside 0.5" to pile in and wrap around is confusing. Why do they need to stay out? I understand you might want to for flexibility in certain situations, but there is no reason you have to in order to wrap.

I think watching the Games Workshop video on piling in will explain this better as they do a visual example. Check out this thread for the video and the comments that helped me understand in better. 

58 minutes ago, Ratamaplata said:

Why can't they do that from within 0.5"?

They can, so long as they are not already base-to-base (because a model cannot get closer than base-to-base,  a model in such a position would have to stay where it is during pile-in).  

The 0.5" affects pile-in to the extent that the 3" pile-in move must get the model closer to an enemy model than it was before. Thus, if a unit charges and is careful to stay 0.5" out, the models in front can then wrap around, ending in base-to-base (and therefore closer), to allow the models behind them to pile-in to attacking range.

The 0.5" is irrelevant for piling in, and only affects your charge. Your first model placed on the charge must be within 0.5" of the unit it charges...

So if you are 5.500001" away and you roll a 5 on the charge, you're out of luck.

If you are 5.499999" away and you roll a 5 on the charge you successfully get in there.

Archived