Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sneak

the 1/2 inch / charging

Question

If unit A is 5.5" away from unit B. Unit B rolls a 5 for their charge distance. Does unit B get the charge or fail? I was under the impression the 1/2 inch thing was only for piling in and not charging... 

20 answers to this question

The 1/2 applies for the charge. So in effect you get an extra 0.5" on any charge to try and make it.

Liam

1 person likes this

Right but you don't have to finish your charge in base contact, so you can get more models in Base contact at least against big models. If you end your charge in Base contact wit let's say 3 Models you can't Move them anymore. So you kinda block your back line models from piling in propperly.  So you have a Range from 0.01 inch to 0,5 inches to fullfill your charge and being able to pile in propperly. 

The 0.5" is irrelevant for piling in, and only affects your charge. Your first model placed on the charge must be within 0.5" of the unit it charges...

So if you are 5.500001" away and you roll a 5 on the charge, you're out of luck.

If you are 5.499999" away and you roll a 5 on the charge you successfully get in there.

The 0.5" affects pile-in to the extent that the 3" pile-in move must get the model closer to an enemy model than it was before. Thus, if a unit charges and is careful to stay 0.5" out, the models in front can then wrap around, ending in base-to-base (and therefore closer), to allow the models behind them to pile-in to attacking range.

Why can't they do that from within 0.5"?

58 minutes ago, Ratamaplata said:

Why can't they do that from within 0.5"?

They can, so long as they are not already base-to-base (because a model cannot get closer than base-to-base,  a model in such a position would have to stay where it is during pile-in).  

What I thought... so your post about staying outside 0.5" to pile in and wrap around is confusing. Why do they need to stay out? I understand you might want to for flexibility in certain situations, but there is no reason you have to in order to wrap.

1 person likes this

You dont fail charges as a set mechanic you roll the dice and if you can get within 0.5 of an inch of anything (Because you dontneed to declare the charges) your in.

As long as your charge length gets you within 0.5 on the ruler your golden.

1 hour ago, Ratamaplata said:

What I thought... so your post about staying outside 0.5" to pile in and wrap around is confusing. Why do they need to stay out? I understand you might want to for flexibility in certain situations, but there is no reason you have to in order to wrap.

I think watching the Games Workshop video on piling in will explain this better as they do a visual example. Check out this thread for the video and the comments that helped me understand in better. 

How will that help understand this example? You can still wrap around from within 0.5"

But you can't if you are in contact. I think that is what he meant. 

Yeah that's pretty obvious is it not? But 'within 0.5"' is not equivalent to 'base contact'

I think he meant be careful to stay just within 0.5" . You have to end your charge within 0.5", but the closer you get to the nearest base, the less room you have for maneuvering., so aim to land exactly 0.5" away.

Or roll way more so you can position your models way better. 😁

Just seems like people are over thinking it. There is no conflict between [charging/0.5"] and [piling in/wrapping around].

17 hours ago, Ratamaplata said:

Just seems like people are over thinking it. There is no conflict between [charging/0.5"] and [piling in/wrapping around].

most folks seem to have it pretty good scrolling up a few post. 

1 person likes this

thanks guys. Im just conditioned from years of playing WHFB  & 40K

1 hour ago, Sneak said:

thanks guys. Im just conditioned from years of playing WHFB  & 40K

Your good many rules confusions come from these sorts of assumptions. They are completely different games.

I'm pretty sure that if you are 5.5" away and you roll a 5 you fail the charge. You don't get an extra 0.5in of movement.

The 0.5" is just how close the first model has to move to the unit. The rest of the unit can move where they want up to the charge distance they rolled.

I'm pretty sure that if you are 5.5" away and you roll a 5 you fail the charge. You don't get an extra 0.5in of movement.
The 0.5" is just how close the first model has to move to the unit. The rest of the unit can move where they want up to the charge distance they rolled.

You need to get within half an inch for the charge to be successful not in contact ( base to base or model to model)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk