Are Greenskinz worth it?

Karchev23

WAAAGH! And stuff.

So i started AOS after rage quitting fantasy for afew months when Beastclaw raiders came out. Since then ive amassed over 6000pts of fluffy cute mounted death machines, another 3000+pts of Ironjawz and im just now starting Bonesplitterz. 

Im a waaagh addict, i needz moar greenz and cabbage just dont cut it. So i was wondering how normal Greenskinz/orruks actually fit in now. Are they worth it?

Oh and heres a crappy pic of most of my combined destruction. Since then ive amassed alot more xD

FB_IMG_1483272742330.jpg

I run pure Greenskinz, with varying success. I personally love them, more than the other orruk factions. But, no, they don't hold up in terms of absolute competitiveness, yet. They will, if basic infantry and cavalry get that extra wound that the Bonesplitters enjoy. I'm hoping they do, and soon, because at that point the faction would synergize really well within itself, and regular orruks would be not only really killy when buffed but also hard to chew through, more so on both fronts than the Bonesplitterz.

Even without the extra wound, though, having a Rogue Idol for the bravery buff and a warboss with a banner shouting "WAAAAGH" makes a 30+ strong unit of Orruks pretty nasty, with whatever you equip them (except bows).

However, for you interest, if you're looking to mix them in, then definitely they are worthy. Mostly, their warbosses, as the CA and banner affect the Orruk keyword - so all IJs and BSs too. When it comes to anything else, though, there's probably something in either IJ or BS that can perform just as well or better.

I agree with Furious.

They can be pretty nasty, but in the end dice decide their fate. With the Banner and the Waaagh ability they can deal a lot of damage, but they also die pretty quickly. I don't think that Ironjawz are much better though because they are so costly.

I do add, however, some spear chukkas to my Greenskinz, with good success. ("Look, there is a Skarbrand. Oh look, now he has spears in his face.")

Yes, OG Greenskinz and Gitmob is a freaking great matchup. They're overall a little more costly than you expect - if Greenskins aren't getting that extra wound, then they need to be cheaper in the GHB - but the pretty great range that Gitmob has supports the Greenskinz mobs and monsters well, and they have a more appropriately priced shaman (seriously, 140 points for the great shaman? Not worth it!).

On 1/16/2017 at 0:14 PM, Anaticula said:

I agree with Furious.

They can be pretty nasty, but in the end dice decide their fate. With the Banner and the Waaagh ability they can deal a lot of damage, but they also die pretty quickly. I don't think that Ironjawz are much better though because they are so costly.

I do add, however, some spear chukkas to my Greenskinz, with good success. ("Look, there is a Skarbrand. Oh look, now he has spears in his face.")

whaaaaaat?

I can agree to the advantage of taking rock lobbaz and spear chuckas and rogue idols to pump up the list, but to compare greenskinz to Ironjawz power output is a little far fetched. 10 brutes 360 pts with ironfist batallion +60 = 420pts imo have the power to mop up much more than 30 boys + a warboss (for waaagh). Not only are they an advantage of having 2" reach with their weapons and still have -1 rend, but also a solid 4+ save, 3 wounds each, and in an army with a megaboss and warchanta they put out so many hits and wounds it can devastate the opponents battle line.  I have never, been able to do serious amount of damage with 30 spearboyz or get enough boyz in to compare when they have choppaz. The 32mm base size is ******. And even still, being up against anything that shoots, your opponent need only to pop a few boyz off to make them less harmful, which with their save is not that hard to do. Brutes on the other hand have 2D6 + 4" move with 2D6 charge.  thats an average of 18.5" reach to get into combat.

Greenskinz are cool, fun and allows for great variation of units to take having boyz as battleline units. But they rarely get the punch in my experience, and I have played a looooot of games with them trying all types of tactics to get the advantage. The dice play TOO much of a role with this faction.

Well, it is just my experience. I play pure Ironjawz most of the time now, but I find that they can be very underwhelming, or just wipe out everything.

With Greenskinz plus some Grots I have made the experience that they pay off for their points and that they are mostly underestimated.

Also, mind what I wrote:  "I don't think that Ironjawz are much better though because they are so costly. " That does not mean that GReenskinz are better than Ironjawz. Just not so much worse.

I read what you wrote and I still disagreed.

100% of the time I've had significantly more success playing Ironjawz than Greenskinz. I'm not telling you that your experience is wrong, just I have such a stark contrasting outcome compared to you and that it made me very surprised. In addition to that I am surprised that the statistics shows a big difference in dmg output even on the same point scale (which have been confirmed in every game compared), and that it still makes little difference for you.

In the end your argument is cost. I think 10 boyz for 100 pts is ridiculously expensive compared to 180 for 5 brutes, or 180 for 10 Ardboys. Had it been 100pts for 20 boyz, or 150 for 10 Boarboyz, I would have been singing a different tune altogether and probably agreed with you.

Well, I don't want to be right here. Maybe I am wrong.

It's just when I take a mob of 30 Orruks with two choppaz, and warbosses, one with a banner, I get all these buffs that give them a pretty nice damage output. I have not seen any graphs or calculations that compare this output to Ironjawz, so maybe the numbers are against me. As I've said, I maybe wrong.

My experience is just that people tend to see them as "just boyz", and then half their army gets smashed by them. Well. I like them.

It's not the warscolls that are bad - they're actually quite good. But the faction is slightly to greatly overcosted, for now. Orruk boys should be 80 points for 10. The Shaman should be 100 points. Warbosses should lose 20 points. The Wyvern, boarboys and chariots seem... fair.

Hopefully the next GHB will be kinder.

12 hours ago, Furious said:

It's not the warscolls that are bad - they're actually quite good. But the faction is slightly to greatly overcosted, for now. Orruk boys should be 80 points for 10. The Shaman should be 100 points. Warbosses should lose 20 points. The Wyvern, boarboys and chariots seem... fair.

Hopefully the next GHB will be kinder.

This is absolutely true! It is the point cost compared against other warscrolls (Savage Orruks, Ironjawz) that makes them super over priced. I am excited to see how they get reworked points wise. I would love to get more use of my Greenskinz army.

I think a point reduction on a couple of their units, folding in Gitmobs, and some allegiance abilities would put them in a very good place (except for people that are going to model a new high model count army. those mould lines are terrible).

I'd also agree that Boarboys are in a decent place both points and scroll wise. I recently had a unit of 5 take out a unit of 20 Bloodreavers while only receiving a single wound. Also add in the FACT that they're one of the most boss looking models in plastic and you've got a very fun unit to field.

1 hour ago, Furious said:

Those boars are among the coolest models. It's astounding that they still have that old chariot for sale, with those terrible, terrible old baby fetus boars.

I instantly bought a box of boar boys and took 4 boars for my 2 chariots. They look sooo much better with the new boars. I do wish that the Greenskinz list would get cooler units such as: Aleguzzler Gargant without losing allegiance, Orruk Warboss on Chariot (with some cool charging ability), Icon of Gork (or Mork) similar to the standard bearer from Orcs & Goblins but maybe with some better fitting rules, and some warscroll batallions.

After the Dec. FAQ I've been assuming that the Greenskinz Big Mod is now defunct now? 

My planned list was

LEADERS
Orruk Warboss (140) Orruk Warboss (140) Orruk Great Shaman (140)

UNITS
30 x Orruks (300)

- Battleline

30 x Orruks (300)

- Battleline

20 x Orruks (200)

- Battleline

10 x Orruk Boarboys (200)

- Greenskinz Battleline

MONSTERS Rogue Idol (480)

BATTALIONS Greenskinz BigMob (100)

WOUNDS: 127

TOTAL POINTS:

2000 / 2000 

it it seems that the FAQ this no longer works.

In a previous tournament it did fairly well.  With one win, a close loss(one point in boarder war), and a minor loss.  Am I right in thinking this list is currently illegal?

Archived