Getting Started: Slow Grow Stormcast Eternals

chmcclellan

Hi All-

I'm just starting AoS and was ecstatic to find this community. I'm starting in my local GW's slow grow league and our first month we will be playing at 500 points (one battle line). I'd love your thoughts on a few lists.

My first list, based on my attraction to ranged and fast moving units:

Knight Venator

5x Judicators, Skybolt Bows, Shockbolt Bow on Prime

3x Prosecutors, Javelins and Shields, Trident on Prime

3x Prosecutors, Celestial Hammers, Grandaxe

Gryph Hound

It's shooty and fast moving, but lacks a real melee punch. Hence, my second list:

Lord Celestant on Dracoth, Tempestos Hammer and Shield

3x Prosecutors, Javelins and Shields, Trident on Prime

Gryph Hound

The Lord Celestant provides a fast moving punch. However, looking over the missions, so many score objectives based on number of models, and this is short on them. So, list three:

Lord Castellant (or Celestant)

5x Liberators, Hammer and Shield, Grandhammer on Prime

5x Liberators, Hammer and Shield, Grandhammer on Prime

Gryph Hound

Four more bodies than list one, but they are relatively slow moving. I could combine the Liberators to make the Castellant's armour buff go further, but I figured I'd want to be able to have them in two places if needed.

Anyway, excited to get started and anxious to hear your thoughts.

Best,

Christian

At 500pts it is pretty difficult to judge as big synergies are not coming into play. On top of that SCE models are fairly expensive. With that said, the same goes for the opponent, and here is where SCE could have some advantage with pretty good base stats. In the end, all three can work, although the first one seems a bit soft. The last one is definitely the hardest to shift though and is good at camping objectives. It's toss-up, really. I prefer the second list as you need some solid melee punch against some of the more aggressive lists. The Dracoth guy is solid, especially if you hook him up with the Quicksilver Potion. However, it may be that the others are better against the opponents you face. I suggest trying them out and then deciding.

At 500 I might go with

2 units of Judicators (320 pts)

Lord Relicator (12" heal or damage ability and a save of 3+) (80pts)

1 unit of Liberators (500pts)

Prosecutors for mobility or Azyros for another hero and shooting re-rools

Hmm, thanks for your replies, lots to think about. The second list also has the advantage of requiring less painting.

Following Chord's line of reasoning:
- I think the Liberators are the least appealing as it leaves me with no fast moving element. Then again, with 10 Judicators shooting at 24", maybe the opponent will have to come to me.
-The Azyros helps out in places of power, and provides a slight shooting buff, along with a few mortal wounds to dish out.
-The Prosecutors provide more mobility and ranged damage. Additionally if I go with Javelins, I have 20 points to swap the Lord Relictor for a 100 point character. A Lord Castellant, for the extra wound (and because the save buff seems more helpful than the healing), or the Azyros for mobility and the shooting buff.

Hmm...

Don't overlook the Relictor's lightning storm,  on a 3+ you do D3 MW to a unit within 12".  So once an opponent gets a unit within 12" , you'll have the prosecutor's,  judicators and Relictor hammering away at them with ranged attacks/abilities.

So, assuming I stick with the Relictor, would you use Prosecutors with Celestial Hammers/Grandaxe, or stick with the Javelins/Shields and play down 20 points?

It strikes me the Hammers/Axe trade resiliency and ranged damage for combat ability on what is not really a combat unit.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Good Question.  I'm not a huge fan of the Hammers/Axe mostly cause the Hammers suck, But they let you re-roll 1's in melee.  Which makes them better in melee than Javelins.

Maybe magnetize them and swap depending on what you need for the moment. If you need more range, go with javelins, if you need more melee go with dual hammers?

The more I look at the math behind Prosecutors with javelins, the more impressed I am.

For 160 points you get 10 4+ wounds of Judicators who on 3+/3+ do up to 4+d6 damage.

By contrast, for 160 points you get 12 4+ reroll 1s wounds of Prosecutors who on 3+/3+ can do up to 16 damage.

Downsides are range, and only half of their damage is rend -1. However their mobility and having 2 units rather than 1 will be really helpful in objective missions. Since at 500 pts they are only requiring 1 battle line I'm leaning toward:

Relictor
5x Judicators, bows
3x Prosecutors, Javelins
3x Prosecutors, Javelins
-400 points

From here:
Azyros for rerolls, mortal wounds, and second hero
Liberators for a tar pit
Hammer Axe prosecutors for some fast melee
... or hell, 3 more javelin prosecutors- more of a good thing.

Sent from my KFFOWI using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again for everyones input. So, I ended up running:

Knight Azyros

5x Judicators, bows

3x Prosecutors, Javelins

3x Prosecutors, Javelins

3x Prosecutors, Javelins

500pts

Since it was a shooting list at it's core, I dropped the Relictor for the Azyros to reroll 1s.  It played well - this was my first time playing AoS and it won 50% of it's games.  As expected, it was severely outnumbered in most cases.  When I could use my mobility to avoid the enemy  long enough to soften them with shooting it was effective (hard on the 2'x4' we were using at 500pts). When they made combat early I suffered.

Moving up to 750pts next month, I am definitely going to add a melee element. The two lists I'm considering:

Lord Cellestant on Draccoth

Lord Relictor

5x Judicators, bows

3x Prosecutors, Javelins

3x Prosecutors, Javelins

3x Prosecutors, Javelins

Gryph Hound

740pts

or

Lord Vexillor

5x Judicators, bows

3x Prosecutors, Javelins