Painting Gore Gruntas - any tips?

Screwface

I like these models, so am going to have a couple of units of them in my army and am about to start painting. I've heard they take ages to paint - why is this? Lots of detail? Hard to reach spots? Any tips on how to approach this? My painting time is limited and I want maximum efficiency.

Cheers

I'm 80% through painting the three from the Start Collecting! box. I wouldn't say they're especially challenging - they're just a fair amount of details (skulls and straps etc) to complete once you've done the fur and armour, so my attention has lagged towards the end.

Mind you, since they're size of monstrous cavalry, I would say the amount of detailing is about right - it makes them more than simply scaled-up boarboyz.

Thanks for the replies. I'm realizing that the Thundertusk tutorial is actually perfect as I'm doing my Orruks with snow-bases, so grey fur/blue skin will work better than the typical dryad bark/bugmans glow combo I did on my boar boyz back in 8th 

I'll probably leave the riders separate and paint those up so I can be as quick as possible with the fur, but that's about as far as I'll go sub-assembly wise. Still can't work out what it is about them that takes so long to paint...

I found my 3 took ages, but that's mostly as I didn't have a plan for the fur so built up a bunch of layers that ended up being unnecessary. It should be more streamlined when I paint my other 15 (3 at a time mind!).

Also I've done 2-3 layers of line highlighting on the fur at the business end of the paint job which, whilst looking great, is an unavoidable time sink.

2 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

I found my 3 took ages, but that's mostly as I didn't have a plan for the fur so built up a bunch of layers that ended up being unnecessary. It should be more streamlined when I paint my other 15 (3 at a time mind!).

Also I've done 2-3 layers of line highlighting on the fur at the business end of the paint job which, whilst looking great, is an unavoidable time sink.

So 18 in total?! Why so many? So you can run the Gorefist if you fancy it?

6 minutes ago, Screwface said:

So 18 in total?! Why so many? So you can run the Gorefist if you fancy it?

Honestly, I have no idea!! :S 

But yeh, I thought it might be fun to run 3x 6 in the Gorefist at RAW17 (a narrative event). I'm unsure whether it's a realistic target though. Would look awesome.

5 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Honestly, I have no idea!! :S 

But yeh, I thought it might be fun to run 3x 6 in the Gorefist at RAW17 (a narrative event). I'm unsure whether it's a realistic target though. Would look awesome.

Would look intimidating as hell to anyone who didn't know they hit like a wet paper towel...

Look at Mitzy's thread and watch how he brings them to life with only a few brush strokes.  Look at the beards of the pigs in particular.  You can see by utilizing a good palette and focused variation of colors you can imply that there is more detail than there is.  By coloring a few strands of the beards with different shades of blue he brings out much depth.  Painting is impressionistic and there is no need to overwork yourself.  

Unfortunately as with most things you don't know that you have overworked yourself until it is done.  Good judgement comes from experience which comes from bad judgement.

Thanks for the plug @Jimbo and @tolstedt for the explanation I would definitely NOT paint them in sub assemblies. I tend not to do this as what can't be seen doesn't need to be painted in my opinion... My 9 GG's did take almost 10 days to paint to that standard and the next 9 (yes I too have a plan for 18 one day...) will be painstakingly done to the same standard.  But you can achieve a similar effect with drybrushes and washes at a fraction of the time invested.

Archived