Deathrattle Starter box formation

Acid_Nine

So I am thinking about getting the starter box for deathrattle because I want manfredd, but I want to know the formation too. The problem is I cannot find any information on the starter box formation anywhere. What is it basically? does it make black knights useful? And can you use any of the mortarchs with it?

7 minutes ago, TerrorPenguin said:

As far as I can remember it is

Arkhan the black

1 unit of skeletons 

1 unit of black knights 

It gives a bonus 4" move in the hero phase. It does not have points however, so you won't be able to use it in matched play

Oh. Well I guess I won't have to worry about it that much then. So no points = no matched? 

2 minutes ago, Acid_Nine said:

Well that kinda sucks. Well, I guess I can play manfredd instead now! and find some use for those black knights I guess.

Yeah it's one of the minor quibbles a fair few folk have with AOS, that the batallion warscrolls  that come in the Getting Started and army deal boxes haven't received matched play points. No idea why as, to my knowledge, none of them are crazy good and would add a bit of variety to the game.

Build hexwraiths, they are better than black knights.

And ya, none of the start collecting formations have points. They are simply designed to allow 2 players to each buy a box, play and be able to try out a formation. Purely there for learning experience. 

Give points to all battalions ,even Brotherhood of Great Bolts ,even if its 1080 points for the battalion!!!!

3 hours ago, CoffeeGrunt said:

Build Black Knights, learn to Retreat, harvest tears as they refuse to die.

Even better with Hexwraiths, they retreat plus mortal wounds.

They don't regen though, and the Mortal Wounds are only on a 6. Black Knights charge, take hits, regen, retreat, regen, then charge again. They can be really annoying. with the right support. :)

Hexwraiths will steadily peter-out over time until they're a negligible threat, and without the regen they don't have the staying power against Rend 0 that Black Knights do.

I think skeleton horsemen and black knights are the same rules, except that black knights get a 4+ against no rend and horsemen get a 5+ in combat. 

I'm just spoiled because I'm used to running blood knights all the time, and compared to those ****** the black knights do so little damage.

17 hours ago, Acid_Nine said:

I think skeleton horsemen and black knights are the same rules, except that black knights get a 4+ against no rend and horsemen get a 5+ in combat. 

I'm just spoiled because I'm used to running blood knights all the time, and compared to those ****** the black knights do so little damage.

Black Knights get Damage 2 on the charge, Skeleton Horsemen don't. Ergo Black Knights do twice the damage on the charge that Skeleton Horsemen do.

Also Blood Knights are more than twice the cost of Black Knights, 2" slower and don't regen as many models a turn. In all other ways the Blood Knights are better though, (except price.)

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Kyriakin said:

What does Arkhan's "skeleton" keyword mean?

If it was "deathrattle", they would be pretty cool with Black Knight battleline.

Yep, agreed. Currently it means you can target him with the necromancer, but that's about it. Hopefully the whol grand alliance will get an update to make it make more sense, but we'll see.

2 hours ago, TerrorPenguin said:

Yep, agreed. Currently it means you can target him with the necromancer, but that's about it. Hopefully the whol grand alliance will get an update to make it make more sense, but we'll see.

Yea, I believe the other two are "vampires" rather than "soulblight", and I have no idea how "malignants" relate to "nighthaunt" (although I don't follow Death that closely, TBH).

I feel the factions and keywords were rushed, and the also rushed GHB made things even more confused. Hopefully the updates really allow for many of the smaller, thematic factions to be viable, with at least battleline, a spell and a large centrepiece model

I agree. To me it looks like smaller factions suffer from these incompatibilities.
This topic is very interesting for me because a friend and I are contemplating to start a Death army together (he would build ghosts, I would build skeletons or vice versa) but the synergies between the Death armies are still a bit opaque for us.

I'm going a bit off-topic, but Deathrattle suffers from a lack of theme. There are skellie things (e.g. Arkhan, bone giant, skull catapult, etc.) that are skeletal, but placed elsewhere. As a result, Deathrattle is currently a "vanilla skeletal things that have no place elsewhere" faction.

Someone on another thread suggested Roman skellies, but basically any theme to tie them together. Failing this, allow the above to have multiple faction keywords, so, say, Arkhan can be either Deathlords or Deathrattle.

Piles of one-wound infantry needs to be phased out IMHO, so allowing pure factions to give you cooler battleline (e.g. hexwraiths, blood knights, black knights) is an awesome idea from GW to somewhat compensate for the, admittedly self-imposed, restricted options as a whole.

On 1/2/2017 at 3:55 PM, ThePhyx said:

Build hexwraiths, they are better than black knights.

Why not Both? I used the Horses from the  'Chaos Marauder Horsemen' box set to use as steeds for the Hexwraiths. Just file of the Chaos Stars, they work very well if painted as ghosts.. 

large.IMG_20170128_141858176-.jpg.9caa52

On 03/01/2017 at 3:47 PM, CoffeeGrunt said:

I dunno, I prefer Black Knights personally. 20pts per five for +1 Save and +1 Damage on the charge is tasty. Plus they're not Compendium, so they're not sitting with the guillotine over their neck.

Hexwraiths arent compendium if thats what you meant.

As for the original post. Yeah its a shame as the formation from the Malignants box set is awesome.

Archived