Test Duardin - not quite sure if it works

GuitaRasmus

Hi guys - I'm still building my nurgle force full speed, but I'm a bit tempted by the rumours of the coming Steamhead Duardin - I've been eyeing the Irondrakes kit for a couple of months and I decided to try it out. However, I'm not quite sure about it - I'm not really feeling it. Not sure if it is the model (they're very static and non-dynamic, and very closed in the posture), or if it's the colours - maybe they need a spot colour? 

Any and all advice is appreciated. :) 

duardintest.jpg

Looks amazing to me. But if you would have to change anything I would see if the 'beard' works better with darker color. It might be a bit to bright, drawing my eye towards it while it's not  key element. 

But again, I think they look amazing and a whole unit in that style would be amazing, let alone a whole army of gromgril clad warriors. 

Dude! That is a sweet paintjob and scheme! Really really like it.

I guess the only possible change I can think of (not that it hugley needs it) would be to change colours of the sleeves of the mail or to change the black of the gun - the black of the gloves, gun and sleeves are quite close together so maybe some contrast, or as you say a spot colour would break it up a bit more and add interest?

I have to ask - what are you using for the turquoise? Would love to replicate it on a bloodbowl team [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the kind words, but I'm not really convinced, though. 

Anyway, Ademo, it's quite simple. 

1) Basecoat with 50/50 mix of Incubi Darkness/Sybarite green

2) Stipple with Sybarite green

3) Stipple with sybarite green/white mix

4) Wash with Coelia Greenshade. Done. 

I think it looks great, I really like the scheme. 

The model is very compact though, I think that may be more your problem. If you had one with more dynamic pose and a visible beard that you did a brighter colour (like orange) you might like it more. 

Dwarfs are tricky like that though, being so short and wide, they're not that easy to paint and look interesting. I think you're doing well so far though!

Maybe add a wash of soft tone ink over the beard area. The model looks to me to have armor scales over that area, and the soft tone will give it a nice bronze coloring. It will be different enough from the gold as to not blend in, but not be as stark as the silver/steel color. I too am liking the green/blue color of the armor, and thanks for revealing the secret to painting it.

My initial thought is that the model is lacking some red, but I cannot for the life of me figure out where it would fit. One of the reasons I dislike the dwarf models, they are a bit one-dimensional like that - only armour, armour, armour, and very little room for variation. Perhaps a fiery glow in the eyes, reddish orange with a red glaze?

How did you do the gold? I love the brightness of it contrasting the green, but it doesn't look like you went with the usual silver highlight. Yellow glaze?

6 hours ago, Mossback said:

Maybe add a wash of soft tone ink over the beard area. The model looks to me to have armor scales over that area, and the soft tone will give it a nice bronze coloring. It will be different enough from the gold as to not blend in, but not be as stark as the silver/steel color. I too am liking the green/blue color of the armor, and thanks for revealing the secret to painting it.

I think that the silver areas could use a warmer tint to them.  The beard is too dominant of a focal point and is probably the least interesting aspect of the paint job.

The jade-ish armor is pretty unique and it would be cool if you had a story to go along with the look.

Archived