Unpredictable Destruction + Excess of Violence

Squirrelmaster

Regarding the Chaos battle trait "Unpredictable Destruction", and the Keeper of Secrets' command ability "Excess of Violence", is this correct:

1. Activate a unit, roll for Unpredictable Destruction, on a 6+ add one to all hit rolls. (Then work out attacks)
  2. Opponent activates a unit and works out attacks.
  3. Activate the same unit again. If you rolled a 6+ for the previous UD roll, still get +1 to hit. Either way, roll for UD again, on a 6+ get +1 to hit, for a potential +2 to hit total if you rolled a double-6 for your UD rolls this phase.

Or is this just wishful thinking?

I'm sure it's only +1 attack when a unit is selected to attack. They lose the +1 attack as soon as their attacks are finished. So an ability that allowed a second attack would only get the +1 attack, not keep the old +1. I don't have the book on me to check the wording at the minute though.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I'm not seeing a reason to think it would stack (as opposed to being rolled independently for each pile in and attack). More importantly it's Unforgettable Destruction. You will forget to use it anyway unless you write it down on a foot wide neon sign on the table.

Have a Great 2017!

OK, so RAW it can stack, but most people would play it as one roll for each activation, only affecting that activation?

Anyone in the "one roll per phase, affecting both activations" camp (or any other option I haven't thought of).

Would anyone care if I wanted to play it RAW, given how unlikely it is to even trigger once in the first place?

• 1 month later...

I have been wondering about this too.  I agree that you get a +1 stacking for unpredictable destruction, the likelihood of a +2 to hit is pretty low.  Also how exactly does 'excess of violence' work?  Does it allow you to pile in and make one round of attacks then the other immediately?  I have been activating the unit in question once then activiating it again after the opponent has had their activation, it just seems a little janky.

@High Warden sounds like you've been playing it correctly. Excess of violence lets a unit activate twice, but those are still two separate activations and your opponent gets to activate something in-between. It takes a little effort to get full effect, but potentially doubling your damage output is worth it imo.

@Arkiham Honestly I'd rather take "Lord of War" for +1 to hit for a single unit. If you make 6 unpredictable destruction rolls for units within 8" of your general, "Great Destroyer" means you'll pass an average of 1 extra roll. So on average you need to be making more than 6 rolls for it to be worth it (and all those rolls need to be equally important). Even if one unit performs a double activation, and you play that the effects stack, you're still probably better off just putting +1 to hit on a unit of your choice.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

If Unpredictable  Destruction lasts until the "end of the phase" you should only need /be able to activate it once and it would last the whole combat phase. No? I'm running a 2000 Slaanesh Daemonette army and that's how I've been doing it.

On 12/30/2016 at 9:31 AM, Nico said:

I'm not seeing a reason to think it would stack (as opposed to being rolled independently for each pile in and attack). More importantly it's Unforgettable Destruction. You will forget to use it anyway unless you write it down on a foot wide neon sign on the table.

Have a Great 2017!

Truth! I can't remember that most of the time and it's been, what?, like a year?O.o

Archived