Wanderers 1K list

Dracothjay

So i am really in to wanderers at the minute. Always wanted a wood elf army so i've put my Stormcast on the bottom shelf at bought myself a 1k wanderer list. Looking for some criticism/advice.

List it:

Nomad Prince (either offensive ore defensive build)

Spellweaver

Waystrider

20 Glade Guard

10 Glade Guard

20 Eternal Guard

5 Sisters of the Thorn

This is quite a defensive list, relying on glade guard to take out units with shotting whilst my eternal guard bog down key units and capture objectives. 

Waystrider to add some extra punch if needed and to also bodyguard the prince.

What do you think guys?

GW in their infinite stupidity axed the lines for little reason.  Their rehashed Island of Blood set shows that they aren't planning to change all the models so I really don't see why they don't re-release a lot of the old units again.

Maybe ebay or holding off and seeing if GW do a limited run of old Wood Elf minis like they have been doing for some other stuff.  There have been some really odd choices for that so far.  2nd edition 40k figures etc.  

I know right!? To be honest, there's a tonne of conversions out there, but that's time and money. I will be buying a forge world dragon and throwing a wild rider with different elven parts on him to make him look lordish and calling that glade lord on forest dragon. 

I've seen the hobbit eagles look good for warhawk riders.

Are you getting the carmine dragon?  Its rules for AoS are pretty good and it might give you the edge that wanderers lack - fast, hard hitting and can take a hit without dying. Plus it also deals mortal wounds, self heals if it cancels a spell, lowers enemy morale etc.

It's a really good choice. 

I'm thinking of incorporating some Phoenix guard in to my list for a 2nd anvil unit. But, I'm a sucker for being a one faction army with no outsiders. I really want to strive to only use wanderers and try and make it work either competitively or just a lethal shorty army with 2 units of eternal guard to soak units and hammer with my shooting. 1 unit I WILL be getting is sisters with bows. Their ability is awesome!

14 hours ago, Dracothjay said:

I'm thinking of incorporating some Phoenix guard in to my list for a 2nd anvil unit. But, I'm a sucker for being a one faction army with no outsiders. I really want to strive to only use wanderers and try and make it work either competitively or just a lethal shorty army with 2 units of eternal guard to soak units and hammer with my shooting. 1 unit I WILL be getting is sisters with bows. Their ability is awesome!

Would you try squeezing the sisters of the watch in 1000 points?

i have been toying with a list similar to yours. I love having the noble prince, spellweaver and waywatcher hero in there but makes it hard to fit everything in. 

Sisters if the watch are tricky to use as they have short range and ofyen need to move to get in range. They are really cool though

• 3 weeks later...
On 30.12.2016 at 0:47 PM, Dracothjay said:

I know right!? To be honest, there's a tonne of conversions out there, but that's time and money. I will be buying a forge world dragon and throwing a wild rider with different elven parts on him to make him look lordish and calling that glade lord on forest dragon. 

I've seen the hobbit eagles look good for warhawk riders.

I made my warhawks from the swiftfeather rocs from the skycutter set. They are slightly smaller than the eagles and can be made with the different wing poses. Still it's an expensive conversion... 

otherwise I like your list. 

How about combining with some Sylvaneth for added punch. 

On 12/29/2016 at 6:09 PM, Dracothjay said:

Nomad Prince (either offensive ore defensive build)

Spellweaver

Waystrider

20 Glade Guard

10 Glade Guard

20 Eternal Guard

5 Sisters of the Thorn

The thing I have noticed when I run Glade Guard is that they are basically chaff and that's it. This list has 30 models with really low damage output. Granted, that's 30 wounds to chew through, which is an advantage, but your damage output is very low with these models. 

The 20 Eternal Guard & Sisters combo is great, but like you mention, they are your objective holders. 

I don't know if you are determined to stay mono faction, but I recently added 20 executioners and a Dark Elf Master with standard to my Wood Elf list and they get a lot of work done with the Sister's buff. The executioners benefit from the standard when it's up, and for a hero being nearby. 

Sylvaneth and Stormcast also make fiction friendly allies if you wanted to sub out your Glade Guard, proxy them as Waywatchers and put in some paladin Retributors. 

Here's my list: 

Leaders
Nomad Prince (80)
- General
- Trait: Legendary Fighter
- Artefact: Quicksilver Potion
Master With Battle Standard (80)

Battleline
3 x Waywatchers (80)
3 x Waywatchers (80)

Units
5 x Sisters of the Thorn (220)